<<

Puffster

Cars: No car atm, but a kawasaki z650, 1981

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:42 am

Designing The Future (reviewing)

Designing The Future

Deadline: Saturday 27th, 8AM GMT

The Premise:
The year is 2016, ABR is still a fledgling company in an ever-evolvong automotive world, and while the CEO is always certain of his decisions and designs, the board is not as steadfast in their beliefs and has ordered a competition to help the company in the right direction. As a company car is also one of the perks of being on the board the boardmembers would like a proper alternative for themselves. The result is this challenge to our fellow automotive brothers and sisters, to help design a new flagship for ABR and help us evolve in the right direction. A sidenote from the CEO mentions the board as rather incosistent and suggest you should prepare for a surprise just in case

Rules:
Since ABR has a tendency of forgetting them when there are more than three rules, this challenge only consist of two rules:
  • Minimum 3 seats
  • Market price below 125.000$ with 10% markup
(Breaking the rules, which is quite hard, will not disqualify you from the challenge, but most likely incur some penalties unless breaking them penalizes the submission heavily itself. High quality modpack accepted, beyond that I may need a link to the mod in order to download it if necessary)

Scoring system:
Once again, we will keep it rather simple as the CEO easily gets confused:

Very high importance (2 * value):
  • Drivability
  • Sportiness
  • Prestige
High importance(1,5 * value)
  • Top speed/10
  • 120/acceleration
Normal importance (1 * value)
  • Comfort
  • Practicality

Low importance (0,5 * value)
  • Utility
  • Offroad
  • Safety

Bonus points
Even though the CEO has been removed from the design chair he still wants to have a word in what ABR’s cars should look like. There will be an additional score between 0 to 50 possible purely based on his impression of the car. This should be low enough to not be essential but still an incentive to make something pretty.

Submissions
If it works don’t mess with it, so send me a pm with the exported car files. Naming format will be:
  • Car model cell: DTF (forum username)
  • Car trim cell: (car model name) (car trim name)
  • Engine family cell: DTF (forum username)
  • Engine variant cell: (engine name) (engine variant name)

I really love when people advertise or promote their cars, so please feel free to place ads or teasers of the cars you are submitting

Entries:
  • Boksi
  • HighOctaneLove
  • Vri404
  • TR8R
  • thecarlover
  • carskick
  • titleguy1
  • CadillacDave
  • stensen
  • asdren
  • VosNox
  • MadamVastra

Final comments:

Yes, I know, DTF is a funny acronym, but it stays. I will do my best to keep this challenge as fair and unbiased as possible, and while the premise says I will use this car in ABR, all designs will of course remain your own unless you explicitly express otherwise. With a great turnout for the first challenge I hope to improve further on my experiences and improve yours. I have been irking quite a lot to do a multistage challenge, so going completely HAM might not be the best solution in the long run for this. Blurbs at least are incoming, most likely some reviews as well.

The best of luck to all participants!
Last edited by Puffster on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:37 am, edited 11 times in total.
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
Will be updated soon... ish... perhaps... hopefully
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:50 am

Re: Designing The Future (Accepting entries)

Production Year?
CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:50 am

This looks fun! I assume the design year is 2016, or something else?
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

Puffster

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:20 am

Once again a derp on edits, sorry. Thecarlover is absolutely correct, the design year is 2016, but any model is viable :)
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
<<

Boksi

Cars: A bunch of Lego.

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:47 am

What factory size should we use for the market calculations? I've got a car that costs a little under 125k when made by a Tiny factory, but only 90.5k when made by a Medium 1 one.
<<

Puffster

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Boksi wrote:What factory size should we use for the market calculations? I've got a car that costs a little under 125k when made by a Tiny factory, but only 90.5k when made by a Medium 1 one.

In this challenge, and challenges in general unless stated otherwise, medium factory 2 in gasmea markets are the standard. This is the standard choice by the game whenever making a new car and thus the most common option unless the challenge is very specific to make life easier for the gamemaster. Fire away if you have any more questions :)
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Bogliq Automotive would like to offer the latest Ambassador for your company line-up...

DTF-Ambassador.png
DTF-Ambassador.png (425.35 KiB) Viewed 7261 times

DTF-GreenHell.png
DTF-GreenHell.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 7261 times
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:23 pm

yeah...... with the update. V12 turbo, here i come! :)
<<

Puffster

Post Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:06 am

Really interesting to see the different approaches by the entrants so far, they are quite different from each other. Will do an initial photoshop with some short blurbs comments for all entries in before Sunday 21th 3PM GMT as well as update the challenge with some prettier graphics :)
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:25 am

Here is the proposal from Solo Motors Co., the Quicksilver in Luxury trim. The engine is a 4.5L V8 from the luxury Diamond Automotive division, and the design is the work of Solo designers. Coming in at under $60,000, it's a huge hit in many key market demographics. We hope a sporty luxury shooting brake is what ABR needs for the future.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

carskick

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
2014 Mazda CX5 2.5 GT

Post Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Introducing the latest performance machine from Kirk:

The ultimate performance car for the modern era.

Pre-order this limited production machine at your local dealer!

To ABR: We suggest going halves on the project, and putting different badges on the ABR version with slightly modified styling. Seems to be the 'in' thing to do!
Name of Car Company: Kirk Automotive
Website or Forum thread: Initial announcement of first car: 1984 Kirk C130T
Company ID: 2015519
Current Compeititon: The Efficient Future - Make the Best of it
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:25 am

Revera presents: The GTX-R1.

CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

stensen

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:53 am

the entry for this challenge comes directly from the core of stensen automotive. back in 1964, stensen automotive was getting in financial distress because it was notoriously building fancy, yet too extreme sports cars to sell in the mass markets. extreme measures were called for that caused many layoffs but also some leading engineers to quit as they were not willing to build boring mass production cars. among them was wiseman, who decided to retire at the age of 55. however, still being in love with cars he soon got bored and started building his own car with several friends that used to work for stensen. in 1969, they finished building a carbon fibre chassis and added components from stensen automotive. the first wiseman. this car was such a monster on the race track that wiseman and his friends founded a new company that started with selling cheaper replicas of the car. the company grew and got more professional until they finally turned into the official tuning division of stensen automotive in 1984, just a few months before wiseman finally retired and his son took his position as the managing director. the original wiseman, until today the single carbon fibre version of the car, was continuously worked on by old wiseman and later his son. they won countless racing trophies with this car. wiseman jun is the chairman of stensen automotive today and decided to submit his newly overhauled version of the wiseman for this competition to show off what stensen is made of. it might not become the car that ABR's board will be driving around with, but it actually is the one stensen's board is driving on the race track. and it is even literally made by them. we admit that this car isn't as practical and economical as a modern everday car should be. however, it is very quick, very fun, and technically street legal!

edit: rumors say that wiseman jun tried to physically assault one of his colleagues in the board room after hearing about this. stensen wants to make clear that his is just the result of a big misunderstamding. luckily, we managed to release our 2016 production version of the wiseman just in time for this competition.
Attachments
Car -15.png
Car -15.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 7051 times
Car -14.png
Car -14.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7051 times
Car -13.png
Car -13.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 7070 times
Last edited by stensen on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

stensen

Post Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:19 am

i changed the front a little to provide sufficient cooling (car16.png). i am very interested in feedback on the lower grill as i am not too sure whether i like it or not.
Attachments
Car -16.png
Car -16.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 6975 times
<<

Puffster

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:29 am

Sorry for the delay in teaser and updates. I have gotten some unexpected assistance upgrading my bike irl, but will update shortly. Appreciate the patience and look forward to reviewing this, several interesting choices so far :)
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions