Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 13 Nissan Pathfinder
99 Nissan Frontier
84 Jeep CJ7 (rock crawler)

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:49 am

Re: KOH pretesting

on a side note all I think is left with the calculator for the first round is to balance the damage and stat dropping calculations
Desert Mountains Automotive Specializing in high reliability cars and trucks for more demanding needs.
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:22 pm

I may have a candidate for some rental car abuse. The car I entered in the most recent of the Car Shopping Round. It's AWD, V6, and totally not suited for offroading, so it's perfect to fill in that spot for "The hooligan who brought the wrong car." I mean, I could make a serious entry for this, but I'd much rather torture the car from 2010 with something it was never designed for.

Of course, I'd only do that if it was wanted, though. I've got no problem tailing the group with scratched paint and smashed panels.
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:24 pm

What about a mid engined machine from the late 90s. That's what I'm gonna enter now. I'll go make it.
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

99 Nissan Frontier

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Madrias wrote:I may have a candidate for some rental car abuse. The car I entered in the most recent of the Car Shopping Round. It's AWD, V6, and totally not suited for offroading, so it's perfect to fill in that spot for "The hooligan who brought the wrong car." I mean, I could make a serious entry for this, but I'd much rather torture the car from 2010 with something it was never designed for.

Of course, I'd only do that if it was wanted, though. I've got no problem tailing the group with scratched paint and smashed panels.

Heh bring it. :p

Vri404: it did surprisingly well, 1:09:05.39 enough so that I am taking a closer look at the way the game calculates the off-road stats in general.

I mean 8.4" of ground clearance and 25.5" tall tires and still in the mid 50's me thinks you broke the game somehow.
Desert Mountains Automotive Specializing in high reliability cars and trucks for more demanding needs.
<<

Madrias

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Fair enough. Car's been sent for a bash about the track.
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:29 pm

YAY! I BROKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait... That's a bad thing. or is it a good thing. I don't even know.
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

99 Nissan Frontier

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:50 pm

Vri: yep, but I will just roll with it. Anyways aren't we supposed to break the game in this stage?

Madras: He he car didn't make it. It took 15 hours to drag it off the track. Story incoming.
<<

Madrias

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:58 pm

I didn't feel the car would make it, though I may make some revisions and try again without ripping the suspension apart.
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

99 Nissan Frontier

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:46 pm

Stories vary about how much alcohol was consumed in camp the nigh before the incident. Of sleep it was certain there was none. Everyone thought it was weird enough for the rental car to have been brought out there in the first place. I mean even the tow rigs were proper 4x4's and had no smaller than 32” tires. But there it was a 2010 Storm Breeze GL-E just covered in dust. The front lip was already battered just from the drive out, but that soon wouldn't matter. But hey its a rental right?

So the first thing was they removed the front plastic and ratchet strapped a 9000lb winch to the front frame. Then came the two 4 foot sections 2x12 boards that fit nicely with the back seats folded down.

As soon as the sun came up the engine could be heard revving at the start/finish line the turbo's already screaming. And off they went.

They actually managed to average 45mph on the snake, though I’m sure the speedometer read significantly higher. In fact all the way up to Hells gate things seemed to be going ok for the car. Sure it took a bit of a beating on the Climb but it was still running pretty solid. How they even got it through Hells Gate was a surprise but nearly two hours later they had made the 1.5 mile stretch. By the time they got it to the top the engine was puffing out smoke, the doors were duct taped shut, the back window had come out intact, at least until it slid off of the trunk and landed on the rocks. The windshield was cracked in multiple locations and all of the side windows were broken. They were also now on the spare with another tire leaking, and the transmission would hesitate to go into gear. What surprised us even more was that the car was actually still running after the nastiness of Hell. Sure three out of 4 doors were now on the ground and it looked like an angry high school football team went at it with sledge hammers, and only one tire was not flat, though it was now bald. The frame had some very noticeable twists and there was a crack half way across the roof. The engine was sputtering and dying constantly and what little power it gave out would hardly turn the tires once the transmission finally went into gear. None of the shocks had any pressure left, two of which had broken off of their mounts.

On the ridge was where the last of the body panels fell off, even down hill they could barely make 30mph, how the engine was still running was anyone’s guess, the turbos had long since stopped making any noise, the transmission only had 1st, and that was because someone had bailing wired the linkage into first.

A fitting section for the car to actually die on was return to sender. The only reason why they got so far on that section was the fact that it is a steep hill. On the first bounce the engine seized which cause what was left of the transmission to explode and roll down the hill they did. At least until they hit a rock sliding sidways
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

99 Nissan Frontier

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Cobaltgirl: A pretty well balanced setup, 59:14.62
<<

Madrias

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Admittedly, that read almost kinda the same way I pictured the entry. Alcohol probably wasn't involved, just insanity. And now I know what to improve on in order to send in version 2, possibly driven by the same crew and involving some drunken bets that they could get another Breeze to go just that little bit further this time.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:51 pm

Zabhawkin wrote:Strop: I figured out the problem with at least the X version, when I would go look at the chassis it would remove your lower vents to the base model.
Tried a quick and dirty AWD with yours, it shaves 2 minutes.

Never click out of the Model section without clicking on the Trim subsection of the Model section first, as it will reset the body to the base Model trim (this is a part of the UI that the devs are planning to take out entirely because it's confusing the game just as much as it does the users). You're also probably running my car on the wrong tyres as a result!!!
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

99 Nissan Frontier

Post Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Cobaltgirl, 1:24:32.89 Comfort was a bit of overkill.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:49 pm

So we have an upper limit for comfort then. To be honest, I was trying to figure out where to spend the rest of the money. I believe the wagon has premium interior and infotainment? Both of those cars came in at right around $20k! The PawPaw was just a basic jeep. The Terminator was a supersport wagon complete with 396 big block V8! It's also not the worst yet, right? :D
<<

Zabhawkin

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

99 Nissan Frontier

Post Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:52 pm

I think I have it to where I like it thank you for the help I will have the official rules posted in a new thread shortly.

Cobaltgirl: No upper limits, its just that your comfort level was so high that it never came close to being the limiting factor in any of the sections. Definetly not the worst, had one DNF, some took over 10 hours.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions