FAQ  •  Login

Engine Sourcing 1985 [RESULTS]

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Engine Sourcing 1985 [RESULTS]

I really enjoy making a good turbo engine. I hope they're just as fun after the forced induction revamp, too. :D
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:50 pm

So, basically, I turned the Peppermint into an American muscle car on all three variants. Good performance on all counts, horrible economy and emissions on all counts. I guess I should have gone for more performance! ;)
<<

Packbat

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:02 pm

One of the fun little quirks of the competition was watching loads of engines that scored really well on performance but not economy end up in ties with engines that scored well on economy but not performance. It's pure serendipity that I noticed the NE-1 was very economical and low-emissions and decided to include those criteria, but I like the result.
<<

nerd

Cars: None as of now and at least 3 years from now.

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Packbat wrote:One of the fun little quirks of the competition was watching loads of engines that scored really well on performance but not economy end up in ties with engines that scored well on economy but not performance. It's pure serendipity that I noticed the NE-1 was very economical and low-emissions and decided to include those criteria, but I like the result.

And I built an engine that did not perform too well and had the economy of a dragster!
Rado Automotive Incrorporated (my automation car company): 1946998
Rado Automotive Incorporated car showroom
<<

Packbat

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Still scored better in Sport and C. Sport than the original Peppermint 1.2, though!
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:01 pm

well, at least i tried to give a nod to economy, i seem to have completely buggered everything for the deluxe model though
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

Simo4295

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Old Peugeot 306 from '93!

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Were I the only one building in-house engines? If so, I consider myself a winner in that category :D
<<

vmo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A undestructable Toyota with 1ZR FAE engine, Honda Civic VTi EG6, Mazda RX7 fc

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:00 am

I'm happy with the brand results! :)
Company: Montes Cars
Company ID: 1940001
Visit the brand models http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3995
In AutomationHub.net: http://www.automationhub.net/company-ca ... mpanyID=18
My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/1MtRpd
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:18 am

5th overall. middle of the pack as usual. not bad :P

congrats to lordred :)

and thank you packbat for hosting this :)
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:28 am

Simo4295 wrote:Were I the only one building in-house engines? If so, I consider myself a winner in that category :D

You were, in fact, the only!

koolkei wrote:and thank you packbat for hosting this :)

You're welcome! :D
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:18 am

Thanks for the competition, Packbat.

Glad to see one of my variants was consistent in its intended group, even if it wasn't the best. Though in the Standard and Deluxe, it was good to see that a good ol' pushrod N/A V8 held out so well. :)
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

Rossriders

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Nothing yet, hopefully something reliable, and decent in the future.

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:14 am

I'll be dead honest, I was surpirsed I even got as high as I was in Standard, and just at dead average in Delux, and while dissapointed, not so surpirsed in the sport category.

Besides how I had to rush (becuase life priorites even though that seems like a lame excuse), I did want to stick to what my company would actually build and/or use.

I know for one area the budget was uncapped but I was trying to keep things 'cheap' but also reliable and economical, along with some extent of power.

That and in some vein I knew i dropped the ball with the sport category, I got too frustrated trying to keep fuel economy while getting a higher perfomance motor and even considered using a turbo variant, but dropped it in favor of simplcity even if the fuel ecnomy was pathetic. The fact it's a convertable did me no favors since outside roadsters/convertables built from the start to be such and open cockpit race cars, I didn't like convetrable much even as a child before I knew what swear words were.

Which is why I feel a little more prideful with the standard version as I was able to achieve comparable mpg results while having a motor far more powerful than the 1.2 block.

The fact all 3 have 5 speed gearboxes with some attempt to put emphasis on fuel economy helped.

The Delux was me deicding to say 'screw it' and put in a 'new' V8 design, said design being the result of a challenge I failed to finish or enter, but the engine in question I at least was impressed given what I could get out of it with 1981 tech on a carb.

So I gave it a shot again with 1985 tech, and figured if I'm going to use a big engine that will decrease fuel economy, it may as well be a big, reliable and midly powerful engine with perfomance figures that would put to shame the likes of a mitsubishi Starion or even a Corvette so at least when the family does the haul, the car isn't crippled.

I may try another challenge...maybe not, we'll see.
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions