FAQ  •  Login

Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge(reviews published)

<<

Sebesseg

Cars: '15 Charger Rallye

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Re: Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge (closed, review

8th place, well that's kinda about where I expected. I personally think that drivability should have been ranked better, but I read the reasoning and get it. Though I'd like to say I think of the car not as boring, but rather knowing that you can throw the car around and recover without worry. Sure it might be more fun not knowing if you have the skill to recover from perhaps less than clever driving, but with the Wildcat you can have the satisfaction of driving stupidly and not requiring a new car later :P

I will happily accept the compliments on having a smooth engine and aggressive coherent design.

In regards to acceleration, if I had actually given a bit more attention to the gearing it could have done better in acceleration because we both agree its fairly sad. You can get one more second, at least, out of it fairly easily making it 8.3 seconds though I'd rather see it at 7.0-7.1. Could also probably remove the center rear seat (its pretty useless anyway it was there for the seat bonus), lower the safety quality slider to reduce some more weight to squeeze some more seconds out.

Kudos to everyone and props to those in the Top.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Puffster wrote:Apparently, power isn't everything when it comes to making a car with strict regulations. Which I personally think is a shame, but can't fight the system :roll:

Basically the way the results panned out, the Man kept the playas down :lol: After all, I fought the law and the law... well you saw where my entry landed in the standings ;)
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:54 pm

strop wrote:
Puffster wrote:Apparently, power isn't everything when it comes to making a car with strict regulations. Which I personally think is a shame, but can't fight the system :roll:

Basically the way the results panned out, the Man kept the playas down :lol: After all, I fought the law and the law... well you saw where my entry landed in the standings ;)

Two places ahead of me!
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:14 pm

strop wrote:Basically the way the results panned out, the Man kept the playas down :lol: After all, I fought the law and the law... well you saw where my entry landed in the standings ;)

well then it's a battle of the underpowered i6 vs the overpowered i4 turbo

btw which car was it that had 320HP??

also, which review is coming first? the storaj or the top 3??
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:38 pm

WOO! The google-translated Van got 10th! Could have been worse. Personally I'd hate to drive a minivan with a 2.1L naturally aspirated four...
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

Dragawn

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A high tech sportscar consisting entirely of air!

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:45 pm

koolkei wrote:
strop wrote:Basically the way the results panned out, the Man kept the playas down :lol: After all, I fought the law and the law... well you saw where my entry landed in the standings ;)

well then it's a battle of the underpowered i6 vs the overpowered i4 turbo

And a big underpowered i4 turbo, although I'm pretty sure that with having gone 1.9L with 164hp I won't win.
<<

Puffster

Cars: No car atm, but a kawasaki z650, 1981

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:22 pm

koolkei wrote:well then it's a battle of the underpowered i6 vs the overpowered i4 turbo

The 320 Hp car is the Vichingo by stensen in 13th place.

Review order, hmm. I was think top 3 then the bonus reviews, but not sure. Will try to release them pretty close, then the spreadsheet with the goofy cars as well :)
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
Will be updated soon... ish... perhaps... hopefully
<<

koolkei

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:22 am

@dragawn. uuuhhhhh remember me? inline 6? 1.6l? 84 HP iirc?
i can assure you that that 164 HP won't be your downfall

@puffster. kay then. will you be doing anything about the top 3 cars in terms of fancy pictures?
<<

Puffster

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:34 am

koolkei wrote:@dragawn. uuuhhhhh remember me? inline 6? 1.6l? 84 HP iirc?
i can assure you that that 164 HP won't be your downfall

@puffster. kay then. will you be doing anything about the top 3 cars in terms of fancy pictures?

I will try, but no photoshop wizard. Main focus will be trying to make a coherent text that properly describes each car with in a somewhat funny/interesting way ;)
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
<<

Slax

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:20 am

Woo! Top 400-tier. I can scum up a raise with those numbers...
I'll let the engineering department hear about your insights so they can prepare better for the next miss- JOB. Assignment. Ehrm...
<<

Puffster

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:01 am

Fun fact before the reviews: The average time around Green Hell for all participants is actually just 0,8 seconds away from optimal time. Benchmark time was 11,12,55 and optimal time for max points without overshooting would be 9.57,55, while average time was 9,56,75

3rd: Revera EC (Asdren), 669,29

The second runner up is the first car I’ll be taking a proper close look at as well as a full day of test driving, but before this I want to take a look at some stats. Mainly because there is only one category the Revera EC stands out, which is displacement. The 1,1L turbocharged inline 4 producing 116hp is only one of three enginges in the entire competition below 1,4L which is actually a bit surprising, but apparently quite efficient. Other than this, the Revera EC is pretty much just better than average most of the categories. Aroud Green Hell it is just 9 seconds slower than average, but fuel economy(5,28l/100km) and emissions(53,6) are way better which proves more efficient for the competition. Combined with low running costs(1761) and 111,57 bonus points it is very close to the top. However, only 29.850$ of the 33.000$ budget was spent, leaving a 10% margin for further improvement, which could possibly have been enough to take either 2nd or even 1st place in the competition. Such a shame.

So let us move on to the car itself, and aesthetics. I approach the car from the rear and I’m glad I did, because it is definitely the best angle for this car. The taillights and additional brakelights in the fender are well aligned and suited for the early 2002 market. Clean lines along with enough details to please the eye is the forte of this design. Unfortunately I can not say that I love the front end of the Revera EC. It is not for lack of attention to detail, on the contrary, the design is well laid out and aligned, but it feels rather dated. It reminds me somewhat of a combination between an Omega and Maxima from the early 90’s. It works, but I’m not in love. From the side the duality continues, with rounded shaped and prettier lines to the rear than the front. I do like the rims though, as the give at least some impression of excitement.

Time to take it out on the road. Initially I travel through the city to get out on some curvy roads. The tine engine is suprisingly smooth with a porper throttle response, something I did not expect from this turbocharger. The gearing is rather tight, and I’m halfway through 3rd before reaching 100km/h but it only takes just below 10 seconds (9,9) which is good enough, With good quality on the transmission and driveline. Its a 6 speed manual, although 6th gear is just a cruising gear/overdrive as top speed is reached already in 5th @203km/h. The seats are bog standard with a cheap feel, but hey, they do the job decently. I also have all driver assists as well as advanced safety, which should be a big plus when getting insurance. After an hour I reach the twisty mountain roads and can really get a feel for the handling of the car. And I am pretty impressed, considering the Revera EC only has MacPherson in the front and Torsion Beams in the rear. On the larger turns I am able to achieve 1,02G, but unfortunately only 0,94G in the tighter corners.

To summarize, the Revera EC is a good piece of engineering that will keep you entertained enough while still being able to do all the other things you want as well. It might not be the prettiest, but you will probably grow to like it. If only they had spent the last money to make it even better

GH Time: 10.05.98

2nd:Dragotec Venture (Dragawn), 669,79

The first runner up is the Dragotec Venture, barely scratching ahead of the Revera EC with 0,5 points. So, let us begin by looking at some of the stats for the Venture. It is also a car that is mainly above average in most areas, but to areas stand out. The Venture is top of the class in both safety(55,9) and emissions(52). Going for a 1,9L inline 4 with 5 valves per cylinder and a turbocharger it produces 164 hp and 245nm. This makes it 20 seconds faster than average around Green Hell and it actually overshoots maximum possible bonus points for track time. Still it got 120 bonus points which is the most handed out to any participant (although it was handed out to several others as well). The acceleration is great with 0-100km/h done in 7,6 seconds, which also contributes to the great score in sportiness, where it got a well above average score, and still maintaining a great fuel economy at only 5,49 L7100km..

Over to the looks of the car. Approaching this car from the fromt, I am once again struck by the somewhat dated design. Not very bad, but still slightly dated. It reminds me of the late 90’s Hondas, so more up to date than the Revera. With simple elegant lines it emitts a feeling of efficiency, no extra fuzz. From the side it looks like a regular estate, nothing special to comment on. The rear is also rather clean, but this looks special. Not a lot of details but it has a vibe like the TVR, yet not as flamboyant. Which is kind of sad, because that design expression needs to be flamboyant, over the edge crazy. This is nice, but not quite brilliant. Overall, it looks good and that pretty much sums it up.

Roadtest is next, and I’m taking the same route as earlier. on the city roads it behaves well and the ride is slightly more comfortable than earlier. The engine feels good and has even better response than the tiny engine in the Revera, although at the cost of some smoothness. After winning a redlight race with an optimistic Pug, I finally arrive at the twisty roads. And after a couple of turns I really notice the difference between suspension setups. The Venture has Double Wishbone in the front and Multilink in the rear, and this makes a lot of difference Although it has the same G rate on high speed corners as the Revera, it really excels at the thight corners with up to 1.06G obtained. The extra power combined with shorter braking distance and better turn-ins on the tight hairpins leaves me with a big smile on my face. As I turn off the road onto the final path up to my cabin I decide to test it on one last thing. With 4x4 and manual locking diffs it should get through the muddy parts of the shortcut i like to take. Full throttle, mud splashing and I make it across, but only barely

To sum up the Venture, it is really good. It has the power to feel really sporty and the capability to get you there off the beaten track as well. It is not as nimble in the city as the Revera, and also has a bit of a dated look, but choosing between these two is just a matter of preference, both having their strengths and weaknesses. However, the Venture did not make it all the way to the top.

Gh Time: 9.36.61

1st: Tiara Mega (Koolkei), 687,81

Finally we have made it to the king of the hill, the cream of the crop, the unrivaled champion. The Tiara Mega is the future benchmark for cars in this class, so let us begin by diving into some stats. With a 1,6L inline 6 NA producing the lowest amount of hp at 84,2, this car gets excellent enginge reliability(77) and the lowest fuel economy of the challenge(4,93L/100km). It has the lowest prestige of only 10,7 but the highest ride height of 215,6mm. It is also the second lightest(1168,8kg), second best reliability(80,3) and second best environmental resistance(98,67), only beaten by the Bogliq Storaj in these categories. With this tiny engine it is quite slow around Green Hell, but still get 40 out of 75 bonus points there and a total of 85 bonus points. Low running costs(1720) and general great stats is what leaves the Tiara Mega on the throne.

What about the appearance then? Well, personally, I love it! The front looks like an aggressive rally version of the Swift with slightly flared arches and properly aligned details. It looks so happy with that lower grille and the vents with foglights next to it suit it very well. The indicators under the headlights give it almost an animei look, but the Tiara Mega doesn’t have to worry, Senpai will definitely notice you! The five-spoked wheels accentuates the hot hatch look from the side. The rear end is decent, even if I find it a bit lackluster compared to that magnificent front end (I get an error message about missing trim items, this is probably the reason for this). But all in all this is a great looking little rascal.

Getting in I see a tach, speedometer, fuel gage, fan controls and a CD player. The interior is plain basic, you don’t get anything extra here. Fortunately it does have power steering and ABS as well as some advanced safety features. Just like the Revera EC and the Venture, it is a manual gearbox with 5speed and overdrive. Reaching top speed midway through 5th was apparently optimal for fuel consumption. With 80hp at the wheels and a geared LSD wheelspin is nonexistent and you can floor it whenever you want without fear of the tail slipping out as this is a RWD. 0-100 takes you 12.2 seconds, so redlight racing is out of the picture. Still the throttle response is great at 49,3 and with a smoothness of 84,1 it makes the Revera look like an unrefined hoon. If the enginge could talk it would woo the ladies in mere seconds. Even with the slow acceleration, the tiny chassis is maneuverable and easy to tackle city traffic with. Out on the twisting, winding roads it behaves very well, albeit slightly less spectacular than the Venture. With MacPherson in the front and Solid Axle Coil in the rear this is no big suprise, and i find that rear suspension interesting. And on the gravel roads I understand why it is there. Off the regular roads it really shines considering it’s a hot hatch and getting all the way is no problem. At the destination I can’t help myself and have to park it on top of one of the boulders like a friend with his Wrangler usually does. That remarkable diversity in this car.

I have to conclude on my test, but it is hard. The Tiara Mega might have the least powerful engine and it might be the least prestigeous car of them all, but that just outlines the strengths of it. It is fast enough to still have fun in and the ability to do everything in it is just remarkable. Buzz around the city, take to the twisty roads or load it up with four friends and fill up the car with all you can. As an allrounder the Tiara Mega is in a league of it’s own

GH Time: 10.32.16

<<

DeusExMackia

Cars: '04 Seat Arosa 1.0 S

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:15 am

Re: Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge(reviews publish

Excellent reviews once again, and congratulations to the winners!

Although, @Kookkei, there seems to be a lack of door handles on the Mega... :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Company ID: 1959771

The Great Automation Badge Grid - Get your company on the grid

"Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a bucktooth girl in Luxembourg"
<<

Puffster

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:26 am

DeusExMackia wrote:Excellent reviews once again, and congratulations to the winners!

Thanks for that DeusExMackia!

DeusExMackia wrote:Although, @Kookkei, there seems to be a lack of door handles on the Mega... :lol:

That would be the issue with fixtures missing mentioned in the review i guess ;)
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 am

Puffster wrote: .. If only they had spent the last money to make it even better...

Argh, you are killing me maaan :D

But i don't think i would have made it to the first place. Congrats to koolkei :)

Thanks Puffster for hosting this challenge and the effort you put in the reviews :)
CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

koolkei

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:38 pm

hahahah a non enthusiasts car won the enthusiast challenge. i genuinely did not see that coming.

more than that
......The indicators under the headlights give it almost an anime look, but the Tiara Mega doesn’t have to worry, Senpai will definitely notice you!

i did not expect to see that :lol:

It is also the second lightest(1168,8kg), second best reliability(80,3) and second best environmental resistance(98,67)

the storaj is lighter and more reliable? that big thing? O_o

that 3rd and 2nd place. 0.5 points difference. wow. gg.

for puffster
for hosting this challenge

for the others

and thank you :)
and gg
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions