FAQ  •  Login

The Car Shopping Round (Round 9)

<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:58 am

Re: The Car Shopping Round (Round 8)

/me puts hood over face and backs away in shame
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:27 am

I didn't want to drop a burn, I just wanted to read a sweet review of my van because it's like the first time I ever made a half-decent anything other than a hypercar lol
<<

Sebesseg

Cars: '15 Charger Rallye

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:54 am

Edit: 100th Post...woo...

@FrankeNSTien I would have reviewed your car, but the file would never load. As far as I can tell everything in the file structure is fine so I’m guessing it’s to do with the differences from stable and Beta in terms of loading the cars. I think I remember them changing the saving/loading structure so that might be issue? Because of that and the fact that I didn’t do anything for Bobloblaw (also on stable release) I did not review your car for the competition.

------

Alright since it’s my birthday weekend I’ve finally decided to take the initiative and go and look at some new cars. My little Pacer just isn’t right for me anymore. It doesn’t really express who I am or what I’m doing. Plus, the fishbowl jokes and feeling of actually being in a fishbowl are getting a little old. My promotion money has just been burning a hole in my pocket anyway so let’s get this party started.

((These are reviewed in the order I received them and not by rank. Top choices/short list are at the bottom and the Winner announced at the bottom. Also sorry for the poor formatting and lack of pics))

Facciamo Cars Harrticalia Base 2.2.2. (Vri404)
Why not start big? Italian super cars are all the rage, right? Unfortunately I think a brand new Ferrari or Lambo are a bit out of my league…for now. Instead, I’m trying out Facciamo which sits nicely in my price point. I’ve heard some good things about this upstart…of course the dealer assures me that Facciamo is no upstart. It has a proud history of making brilliant cars. I told him that’s good to know, but I don’t mind buying something unique or new. So he beamed and introduced me to the Harrticalia Base 2.2.2. He proceeded to tell me that despite the name “Base” that it’s much more. It’s got a space frame, its mid-engine and is rear-wheel drive. Nice. He tried to tell me more, you know the whole dealer upsale, but I just took the keys and told him I could handle myself from here on.

When I finally got some time to think and just admire the car, only one thing came to my mind: fighter jet. Huge intakes at the front and a huge wing. Even the roof scoop made me think of a cockpit. So yeah, it’s a fighter jet and that sits more than right with me. I love that. The dealer then sidelined me by saying it only came in Phantom Blue, which is a little disappointing. Of course, I can paint the car gun metal grey and add the shark face myself. Stepping inside the car, and locking the dealer out, gave me another feeling. The leather seats were very nice, if not a little hard. A new car always needs breaking in though so that’s not huge. Looking around I see buttons and switches for everything. Then I spotted it, a cassette player with LCD display. Alright! This car is checking a lot of my boxes. Then I drove it. 5 speed manual and a torque-sensing LSD are a good combo here. Off the starting line there was a little wheel spin, but that made it fun. 0-62mph in 5.6 seconds, a top speed of just shy of 163mph and good stopping power with just the tiniest and basically unnoticeable bit of fade. The drive as a whole was easy enough, but I could see how this car could get away from someone like me, especially when I decide to push the envelope. When I got back the dealer told me it had an air suspension, which I could tell. Seriously this car was an F-15 in another life or something. All in all this first car got me very excited and expecting a lot from the other drives I had lined up.

Storm Xenon (Madrias)
Ok so when I heard the name “Storm Xenon” I knew I had to see the car. It’s such a good name combo that it had to be cool and it was within budget. When I first pulled up to the lot the dealer could instantly tell that I desperately wanted an upgrade from my fishbowl. I asked him to show me the Xenon and he just pointed. I followed his finger and was shocked. I can only describe this car as an electric blue heart attack…no an electric blue shark attack. Only, I wasn’t quite as thrilled with the pop-up arrangement on the Xenon. When they were up it looked great, but when down something just looked off. Noticing my inquiring expressions, the dealer began to tell me about how the car had uniquely designed high-quality tires that provided the best on-road and track experience. How it had magnesium rims which provided a smoother and lighter weight driving experience. As I got closer and started walking around the car I quickly noticed the T-top and I was assured that the panels their own compartments for no loss of storage. That’s nice.

When I got inside the car I was quite impressed. The seats were a very supple leather with a quality matte dash that was almost completely black. I couldn’t make out anything until I turned on the car. When I did, digitalized gauges shined brightly as they seemed go through a checklist of each system ending with a small flash of green that said “Systems Nominal”. The dealer said that meant the car was ready to go. How’s that for the future? Looking around I spotted a very nice luxury-model cassette player. The dealer, seeing my expression then pointed to a switch and told me to flip it, so I did. A small compartment was ejected which controlled the finer details of the stereo system like bass, treble and “stereo direction” which meant I could lower the volume of speakers for each person. Which brings me to the fact the car has four seats. Finally setting off, I found the car had an even faster 0-62mph than the jet-car at 4.7 seconds although a lower top speed of ~158mph which are both probably due to its AWD system. It was very easy to drive with excellent steering and a responsive ABS with no fade. The Xenon has definitively kept the bar high.

Fahrzeug C2 (Sillyducky)
So it’s time to come back down to earth for a second. I’d been looking at sporty, possibly overstated, designs and I thought I’d look for something a little bit more subdued. So I asked around and was pointed toward the Fahrzeug C2. I was told it was classy executive-looking vehicle rivaling things like BMW or Mercedes. I like to stick out a bit, but something classy that wasn’t mainstream luxury could definitely be an option. When I showed up to the dealership, I was greeted by a very professional looking man who was quite interested in my thoughts after learning I was there to see the C2. At a distance and up close the front looked very professional, fairly reminiscent of other German luxury. Nothing outrageous to be said as it looks like I believe it’s intended to, like a luxury automobile. The fact it was a full convertible was very nice, something I’d not anticipated I’d be into. The rear, however, was very very plain. The rims, too, were plain and honestly dreadful even though they were alloy. The rims could be fixed, but the rear was troubling.

Noticing my dismay the dealer handed me the keys and we both got inside. The interior was premium, but that’s about it. The seats weren’t of the same luxury materials as the previous two cars, but there were 5 of them and they still had a good premium feel. The stereo and cassette was also not as luxurious as the last two, but was very well made. While it lacked certain features, the craftsmanship alone made up for it. If nothing else on this car had impressed, I will say that radio and cassette did. Getting on the road, I found the car to have an absolutely superb 5 speed manual. There was a bit of wheel spin taking off, which added a little bit of excitement to this very businessman experience, but otherwise it was very well put together. It took a while to get the feel for the steering because it felt heavily assisted, though it still drove the best of the car’s I’ve driven so far. I was very impressed by the 0-62mph of 5.2 seconds and the 150mph top speed because I really wasn’t expecting it from this particular car even though it had AWD. Braking was a breeze with only a slightly nearly imperceptible fade. While the looks failed to kill, the overall package is outstanding. Unfortunately, I’m not sure this particular car is for me right now. It’s very well made, well within the price range I was looking in and has just about everything I’m looking for, but it’s a little too restrained in terms of looks. Perhaps the newer models will get me a couple years down the road. Until then though, I think I’m going to pass on this car.

Kirk CNK34 (Carskick)
After visiting the subdued alternative, I guess it’s time to crank it up to 11 by taking a look at the Kirk CNK34. I had heard that this car is the future, which means I must try it out. Pulling into the lot I immediately knew which car was getting everyone’s attention. I don’t even know what to say other than this car looks nothing like what I’ve seen on the road…ever. It’s definitely captured that unique look because whoever designed this car definitely said screw the rules let’s just put the pedal to the metal and go. I manage to glimpse the sticker before the dealer got to me. This car is just a bit out of range it seems, but it might just be worth it. It’s got over 400 horsepower, the most so far. It’s got a premium interior and premium stereo system with a cassette player. So far so good, although I’ve not gotten into it yet. Looking at the outside, I can’t even tell you what kind of crazy headlight and taillight technology is going on here, but it looks both fancy and like it means business. It looks very race inspired from the front and the sides while the rear…well future racecar? It looks out of place and out of time. The dealer tells me it’s the future of car design, but perhaps there is too much future going on here. Whatever it is I’ve got this love/hate thing going on. I love it for its looks, but it totally redefines what I thought the future would look like and that’s where the catch is.

While I contemplated the looks, I took a seat inside. The interior is of premium quality, but like the C2 doesn’t quite match up to the first two cars I drove. The stereo system has a cassette player, but lacks both the features of the luxury options and the craftsmanship of the C2. It’s not bad, but it’s nothing spectacular either. I guess 400+HP rear-wheel drive 5 speed must have most of its budget devoted to the driving aspects? I rowed through the gears and found the shifting incredibly easily and fluid. It had a very similar feel to the C2, but seemed to notch into place just a bit better. I actually wasn’t prepared for what happened next. One second I’m waiting for traffic to pass so I can get this baby on the road the next second I’m flying past the traffic. So that’s what 0-62mph of 3.8 seconds feels like. Woah. A full second faster than the Xenon with a top speed of 160mph, just a few shy of the jet-car. Awesome. Very manageable wheel spin and no more fade than the rest of them, which is to say basically zero, this car was doing well. Handling wise it was very surprising. It handled much like the C2 without the handholding. I could see myself forgetting how easy this car is to drive and turn into something thinking it’s more of a handful. It’s the opposite of the Jet-car in that respect. Yeah this car is weird, let’s just say that. It looks like a car from some alternate view of the future, drives nothing like it looks like it should and manages to do a lot well. I just wish the interior was at the next level especially considering the price. 400+ horses though…hmm. This one is on the short list for sure, but I do need to think about it.

Omega RR (rcracer11m)
My buddy set this preview up. He told me I’d have a good time looking at this one. I’m not sure if he was serious or not because I wasn’t exactly enthusiastic when I first laid eyes on it. Don’t get me wrong the car definitely sticks out and makes a statement, but I’m not sure if that statement is one that I’d make. I’ll just go on and get this out of the way, the car looks like an Audi that wanted to be a DeLorean, but half way through decided it wanted to be a rally cross car instead. Its price is, however, way within the budget so I guess I’ll take a better look. Honestly the car isn’t that bad of a looker, even if it’s not what I was looking for exactly. I do like the angles and general shape although I’m not the biggest fan of hatchback-like designs. The turbo intercooler sticking out at the bottom is a new one for me, but the dealer assures me that it’s fine and that there is an OEM cover that can be order to cover it up at no additional cost. The wheels are fairly impressive at 245mm in width and the alloy rims actually compliment the car’s style. The…flood lights…those rally lights are really bright when turned on too.

I’ll be honest the car wasn’t what I wanted so far, but wasn’t a complete bust. That was until I get inside. The dealer told me the car had 225HP which is less than I was looking for and much less than the CNK34 I had just left. It also had the worst interior so far. Standard fleet car cloth as far as I can tell and only an 8-track. No cassette player, that’s a real deal breaker. So far so bad. I disappointedly began to throw the gears back and forth to get a feel when I was snapped out of my spiraling depression. The 5 speed manual was exceptional. The C2, CNK34 and now the Omega RR. They all have very similar gearboxes in terms of ease of flow and shifting are concerned. Perhaps they all come from the same main distributor? Probably not, but still plus points for having an equally irresistible manual as the two more expensive cars. That’s not enough to change the tide of my decision thus far, but it was shocking. It also shocked me with its acceleration. Yeah it’s no CNK34, but this little thing got to 62mph in 5.3 seconds with almost no wheel spin. I can chalk that up to its AWD and light load. A max speed of ~143MPH isn’t terrible. The car also handled very well. Fairly neutral up to the end and more than controllable. Also, the gas mileage is the best I’ve seen so far at 22 US MPG. Seriously is there a luxury version of this thing? Unfortunately unless there is a luxury version, I think I’m going to have to pass. The Omega RR is a good car, but its missing too many things I want and just doesn’t send the message I want to send.

Shromet 538GTS (Doctornarfy)
Ok so let’s get back to test drives that I actually set up. This one is a bit beyond my budget, but I’ve heard some really good things. Also, when I saw that collection of numbers and letters, 538GTS, well who could ignore that? You want to scream in a Porsche’s face then you have to have an equally outrageous, but meaningful alphanumerical naming convention. So we’ve got that base covered. Looking at the car you’re almost lured into a false sense of security, at least I was. It doesn’t look particularly crazy like some other entries, but it’s also not something that looks too subdued. It looks confident. Like a cool older cousin; someone who says “hey don’t worry kid, I got your back. We’ve got this.” I like that. The rear is a little understated, but I wouldn’t call it bland. It doesn’t quite look like it can destroy the streets, but that quite confidence stance makes it seem like there is more at play here.

Ok, so enough about what it looks like. Does it actually have the skills to pay the bills? That’s affirmative. With 476 horsepower it has the most of any car tested so far. How does it manage that? Why obviously a turbocharged V12. I don’t know anything about engines, but you can bet that that engine is a thing of beauty. OK, so it has a ton of horsepower, but what about the inside? Well the dealer just so happened to tell me the car’s interior was hand-made with masterfully trimmed leather upholstery for ultimate comfort. It also features the return of the luxury stereo cassette system. I could go on, but let’s just say the interior is the best I’ve seen so far. Getting behind the wheel and onto the road I find myself blown away by the power. A five speed manual, a geared LSD and an AWD system help maintain control and limit the wheel spin which is noticeable, but still manageable. I’m sure the sport tires help too. Of course with this much power comes the fastest 0-62mph so far at 3.7 seconds and with the highest top speed of nearly 179MPH. Jeez. The vented brakes do their thing and bring the car to a stop in 115 feet with no fade. The car is very manageable with probably the second highest ease of drive. Though it has that same overestimate into way oversteer that the CNK34 has. The air suspension helps manage the ride comfort and can be adjusted further for track or more comfort.

This car is almost too good. So I had to ask around and find out any potential problems. For starters the brakes tend to wear out faster than most cars, but I can live with that considering the power and weight they are having to stop. Apparently some weight saving features were employed in regards to the safety apparatus, which while advanced means it does have a thinner firewall than would be expected. There are also rumors of errors in the fuel pump inertia sensors causing improper shut off, but it’s very rare. The air suspension system is also fairly complex and is known to have some slight air-leak issues if regularly adjusted. I’ll need to keep these potential issues and its price in mind considering the car is going on my short list.

Boliq TCSR8 (HighOctanceLove)
I almost had to pass this one up. The first test drive I had scheduled I had to cancel and when I tried to go in for the rescheduled drive my Pacer got not one but two flats. I’m starting to get the feeling that the Pacer knows I’m getting rid of it and is trying to sabotage my efforts in any way possible. I did finally manage to get to the dealership, albeit running quite a bit late. The guys and gals at Boliq though were very understanding, shared some jokes with me and even offered to buy my Pacer off of me directly instead of for the little trade in value of it if I bought a car off the lot that day! I told them that I should probably see the car they were offering in person first. They pointed me in the direction of the TCSR8. TCSR8, another set of letters and numbers that I can get behind Porsche drivers. Anyway the outside is pretty nice. I like the headlight arrangement and the general arrangement of the front end. The rear is unique as well, although the placement of the lettering below the taillights was odd to me. It looks fairly aggressive especially with that hood scoop at the front. It also has a certain sleekness to it too. I see that the turbo intercooler is exposed like on the Omega RR, but I didn’t get an answer on whether that could be covered up. The dealer tells me it has magnesium rims and sport tires, which is cool. However, I’m not sure I’m sold on the aggressive sedan look though I’m willing to give the car a try.

Inside I find myself surrounded in premium materials. The seats have a mix of leather and…pleather? I’m not entirely sure, but there is a difference in the feeling. It’s nice, but not as luxurious as what I’ve experience in other cars so far. Fairly standard instrument panel, but with nice styling ques and good lighting does breathe a good level of sportiness to the car. I spy a premium audio system with a cassette player. Again, the system is not as luxurious as what I’ve seen in others and unfortunately not as well made as the C2 I saw earlier. The dealer tells me the car is AWD as the run through the 5 gears; they feel nice, but are really no better than other standards. Off the line I was very impressed with the 4.2 seconds to 62mph and spy a top speed of just over a 152MPH. So that 325HP does offer a good bit a go. On the drive I found the car controllable, but the ride could have been a bit smoother. Not bad overall though. It’s well under my budget, but I’ll need some more time to think on this one. I can’t be sure, but at the very least it looks rally inspired and I’m not sure the rally look is for me.

Daiki X85 (Urbanliner)
This is another test drive setup by my friend. I’ve not personally heard a lot about this company nor its cars, but I’ve been assured that I’ll be happy with it. He showed me an article about it being at the Tokyo car show a few years back. It looked good in the pictures so I figured why not. I’m also liking the naming convention with this one too. “eXperimental (19)85)” aka X85. When I got to the lot to see the car in person I confirmed what my friend had been telling me. Clearly this is no experiment as its put together and sitting right in front of me ready to go. From the pictures it looked good and looking at the car from afar and up close in person I will definitely say this one is at least visually up my alley. Like the 538GTS, the X85 is confident looking and poised. Yet it has an extra level of flashiness that’s not too overstated, but I think captures really well the middle ground. It doesn’t necessarily scream “look at me”, but it seems like it could definitely hold your gaze once you did lock eyes with it. That’s when the dealer walked over and began explaining the pop-up head lights and how it has a set of premium sport tires with alloy rims.

So let’s get in this thing and see what going on there. Stepping inside, I find myself cradled in some very nice leather seats that are soft to the touch and supple, but still provide plenty of support. Digital and Analog gauges are at play on the instrumental panel, but in the right mix. Tachometer and Speedometer are well illuminated and still analog. Yet the fuel gauge, engine and oil temp, and even selected gear are all digital. It gives enough of the expression of the future without going as far as Xenon. Moving on to the center console I spy a luxurious cassette player. The knobs and switches feel a bit more responsive or direct than others I’ve played with. It also feels a bit sturdier. I then run through the gears, which feels to be a fairly standard 5 speed. Taking off, one can tell there is a bit of wheel spin, but nothing more than I’ve felt so far, and that it’s RWD. A 0-62mph of 5.8 seconds puts makes it the slowest car I’ve tested; it feels so wrong thinking that 5.8 seconds is slow. It’s got a top speed of nearly 158mph and with plenty of stopping power with no fade. It drives very well and it’s easy to control. I’m sure the air suspension set up helps that, which the dealer tells me is made with above-average parts. All I know is that it was easy to adjust.

Revera NR 280 Turbo (Asdren)
I’m so lucky that I passed this dealership on the way home from Boliq. I actually spied the Revera NR 280 Turbo from the road and stopped immediately. I love the color, I love the front and I love the rear. This car looks like a sporty muscle car to me. A lot of the old American muscle has been evolving into shapes like this and maybe that’s because of the increased exposure to Japanese sports cars. This car seems to have the name of a Japanese sports car, but feels more Americanized than what I have seen of the Japanese cars on offer. It feels, to me, close enough to be mistaken, but different enough to draw attention. I really I feel the second look factor is strong here. Meaning that someone thinks it is one thing, looks again realize it’s not that and stare a bit longer. Getting a closer look the hood does seem very flat. Upon opening the hood I was met with nothing…it’s a frunk. The car is rear-engined…well that’s unique. The whole car looks very composed and well put together. It looks strong. It looks like it can tear up the road, but doesn’t have to and that’s exactly what I am looking for. I even love the one sided dual exhaust it’s perfectly placed and a mirror would just be too much. This car leaves me speechless, not because it is some crazy design, but because it’s just the right mix.

Getting inside I’m met with finely stitched leather upholstery. It’s firm, but not too firm. It provides a good amount of support and comfort. Everything seems appropriately placed and again I find myself coming back to feeling like I’m in a sporterized muscle car, but once with fancy underpinnings. The gauges are well sized and illuminated. There is a luxury stereo system with a cassette player. It’s a very nice unit and the equal of most of them I’ve seen so far. A few I’ve played with have been a little better, but that doesn’t detract from this car all that much. As per usual, I rowed through the gears which was very smooth and easy to run through. Knowing that the car is rear-engined and RWD didn’t prepare for the unique feeling of the launch. 0-62mph in 4.1 seconds and I swear this car, if prepared right, could easily wheelie off the line all day! A top speed of 155mph places it amongst the majority of cars for overall speed. Stopping was a breeze and happened in a fairly short distance, which is nice for a car with this kind of launch potential. The car handles nicely though there is some oversteer and while the ride itself isn’t unpleasant I have been in smoother cars. This car is going on the shortlist.

Smooth Brute V8-X (AirJordan)
As I was turning over the keys of the Revera back to the dealer I spied a rather odd looking man stalking around my Pacer. I approached the man and asked him what he was doing hovering around my car. He quickly apologized and said that he had seen me at the Boliq dealership, then saw me here and said that at both place I didn’t look like I had found what I wanted. He suggested that I accompany him next door to his dealership where he could show me something that would really knock my socks off. Against my better judgement I agreed. A couple minutes later and I found myself staring at the Smooth Brute V8-X. A lumbering vehicle full of attitude. A strong mammoth like front end greeted me with a sort of disinterested look about it. A well-sized grill and hood intake appeared as though it could physically suck the air out of my lungs in order for it to feed its own needs. On the side two large exhausts rested ready to belch the stench of engine air into the face of any passersby as well as through any rolled down windows of car that happened to have the unfortunate fate of being beside it at a stoplight. Of course, the “yeah I’m in your face, now get out of mine” appeal of the vehicle wouldn’t have been complete without the rear-end being laden with some sort of potentially offensive design or gesture. Luckily the Brute offers a set of what can only be called “flipping the bird” taillights, which are more than ready for brake-checking actions.

Inside the Brute is not nearly as offensive. It’s the first vehicle I’ve encountered so far to have taut leather sport seats. Some have been seemingly been race-inspired or sport-like, but in the Brute it’s obvious. The interior appears to be more suited to a sports car than in this thing, which the dealer calls a “sport utility vehicle” or SUV. Apparently that’s a new term for this type of vehicle. In any case, everything seems to be in order, the engine is more clearly audible than in the cars I’ve tested. I’m guessing as a result of the sportized interior. That said it can easily be tuned out via the luxury stereo setup with, of course, a cassette player. It has a very nice five speed which is a bit easier to go through than the Revera, surprisingly. Though it’s not as great as the C2 or CNK34. With a bit of wheel spin and some burnt rubber, this thing was off to 62 in 3.8 seconds! Tied for second fastest launch of all the cars I’ve tested. Apparently this thing is made of a lot of aluminum which has kept the weight way down. I’ve come across quite a few cars today also made of the stuff, but I wasn’t expecting it here. The Brute tops out at 155mph, which is less than I expected after that kind of launch. It stopped very well too with only the tiniest hint of fade that nearly all the cars seem to be experiencing. The drive was very easy, much easier than it had any right to be. I’m guessing the quality air suspension set-up helped it in that regard. The Brute’s quality and ability makes it a good contender, but I need to think a bit on whether I want to be as offensive as it lets me be.

CSC1 (theCarlover)
Well after the Brute, I think it is time for something a little more conventional. That said, I don’t know that’s exactly what I’d call the CSC1. I mean it has gull-wind doors for Pete’s sake! That’s really cool. They actually work better than I’d expect because even though I’m a fairly tall man I still find it easy to get in the car. The doors raise up to a pretty high point before stopping. Getting them closed isn’t as easy however. They did provide a strap that you can grab to pull it back down, but I think it works better for me because I have the arm length to grab it. I don’t know if it’d be as easy for shorter people. Like the Omega RR and the TCSR8 I spy an exposed intercooler. Yet the CSC1 has already assuaged my fears of such a thing and done well to make sure it’s fairly well hidden and protected. It looks more integrated here than it does on the aforementioned two. I will say that the CSC1 does seem, to me, to be one of the more subdued designs. I don’t think that’s a bad thing necessarily. It has good lines and a good design features. The headlight design, for instance, I find very interesting. I really appreciate the broken up nature of the lights while still remaining functional and maintaining its illuminating ability. That’s also why I appreciate the rear. The taillights retain a very similar look as the front, but continue all the way across the back giving a good heads up to anyone following and easily grabbing their attention. I really appreciate what I’m thinking are side intakes…or maybe they are where air from the front is diverted to reduce drag and cool the brakes. In either case I like that. Again, to me, it’s a very subtle but unique looking car.

Besides the potential issue with getting the doors closed, I’m liking that feature. The dealer also assures me that there are almost no leak issues, which I honestly didn’t even think about as an issue. Inside there a four premium leather seats which are fairly comfortable. Although the materials used around the cabin aren’t as luxurious as I’ve experience in other cars they still provide a pleasant experience. There is a premium stereo system and cassette, which does lack some features of the more luxury models I’ve experienced. It is, however, well put together with study feeling knobs and switches. The dash and instrument panel both feel and look very sturdy as well. I have no problems shifting the gears which feels a little bit easier than most standards, but isn’t as fluid as what I’ve experienced elsewhere. Leaving the lot we get to 62mph in a very healthy 4.3 seconds with very manageable wheel spin as 344 horsepower AWD pushes us up to nearly 158mph. Stopping happens in about 117ft with no fade. The ride was very smooth and enjoyable which I’m sure the quality air suspension played a role in. There was some noticeable understeer, but it’s not something that couldn’t be forgotten with some more time behind the wheel. All in all a very good car that is under my budget. It does lack somethings that other cars on I’ve driven had, most noticeably the luxury interior options, so I’m not sure where this car will come out in the end though I will be considering it.

Komodo Predict Millenium (Koolkei)
Down to the wire, I was just about to make my decision when I got a call from a friend who said I really needed to go the Komodo lot and look at the Millennium. I was a little hesitant at first, mostly because I was pretty sure that I was done looking at cars. I’m glad I decided to go to the lot anyway because I was quite impressed with what I saw. First the color is some sort of dark blue, I think. It looks nearly black. In any case I like fact that the color had me guessing what it was. That said, not sure it actually adds to the value of the car any. Moving on, the front of this car looks mean and not quite like anything I’ve seen. The hood intake looks a little low from the side, but from the front it really completes the look. The headlight design is something I’ve never seen before either and even though I’m partial to pop-up headlights I’m really digging this setup. The rear doesn’t really maintain the ferocity of the front, but that’s fine. It give a sleek definition to it. I wish the wing was a bit shorter and thicker, but I think I can order a car optioned like this one with that change.

This is when the dealer walks up and tells me that I’ve made a good choice. This model has a 458HP Turbo V12. That it’s an AWD vehicle with a staggered tire set up. I asked if it had a limited slip differential and he that it didn’t need one. He fed me some line about the quality of the open diff and the high quality sport-performance tires more than replace the need for an LSD. He goes on to say that there was a lot of work put into the aerodynamics of the car and it cuts through the air which helps it maintain power, fuel efficiency and grip. Okay then. I get inside to find four luxury leather seats, a leather trimmed dash and a leather lined shifter with a chromed head. Okay then. The leather seats and interior are you standard luxury setup without any additional bits-and-bobs which is fine. The luxury stereo and cassette player are again very nice, but don’t offer anything beyond that. Rowing through the gears is very smooth and fluid, not as nice as the: C2, CNK34 or Omega but still nicer than most other units. Out of the lot and we got to 62mph in 4.4 seconds which is actually slower than I would have expected from the car. Yet there was no wheel spin at all which also shocked me quite a bit. Unfortunately, the dealer told me we didn’t have anywhere to go where we could reach the top speed of 186mph, which is the fastest of any car I’ve been in. It also stops very quickly in 110ft with no fade. Seriously this car…seriously. Now while it has five gears the fifth gear does appear to be an overdrive of some sort. I don’t know I’ve never really paid attention that and my Pacer never gets that high in its gearing. I’m guessing that helps it reach its advertised 20 US MPG, which I think is the second highest figure I’ve heard. It was probably the second or third best driving car with a smooth ride. There was noticeable understeer, but I can manage. This car somehow comes in under my budget, but I almost feel like this car is a loss leader, being sold for less than its worth. Their loss is my opportunity I guess.

The “Short” List:
I saw a lot of excellent cars. Each car I looked at took a more or less unique design style and provided something interesting. I will say some cars didn’t quite hit the mark, but actually surprised me in terms of what they offered. These are going be some quick comments on pros and cons and following this I’ll have the winner with some expanded/final thoughts

Facciamo Cars Harrticalia Base 2.2.2. (Vri404)
Like I said I really enjoy the look of this “jet car”. I would repaint it because I’m not sold on the blue personally. It was a good car to start out on, but I’m not sure it’s dominance held. It didn’t do anything better than any other car which only leaves it its looks to beat other cars on.

Storm Xenon (Madrias)
I’m not as sold on the looks of the Xenon, but I think another color with give it new life. This car had a better interior than the “Jet car” and overall does a lot well. There is just something about its looks that doesn’t quite sit right with me, which is an unfortunate negative subjective mark against this car.

Kirk CNK34 (Carskick)
Probably the car with the most legitimate future features (not 1980s visions of the future features, but real ones). It boosts one of the fastest 0-62mph times and has many good features. Unfortunately the lack of a luxury interior and entertainment unit in addition to fact it’s as expensive as other entries that do have these features hurts this car.

Shromet 538GTS (Doctornarfy)
Again another great car. Despite possibly having the most understated looks compared to other entries this car is still able to send the right message. It offers the only hand-made interior and one that is above the standard quality. It offers the most HP and the fastest 0-62mph. To do that though it sacrifices a bit if quality in other areas. It’s also a little bit more expensive than other offerings. The additional expense as well as the decrease in the quality of certain areas are what hurt this car.

Daiki X85 (Urbanliner)
As I’ve said for the majority of cars, I do really like the looks of the car. This car, the Revera and CSC1 have are close competitors for what I believe are the most consistent design philosophies. There was attention focused on the interior and entertainment aspects to make them above standard quality, which I appreciate. The same can be said for its air suspension.

Revera NR 280 Turbo (Asdren)
I think that this car narrowly edges out the X85 and CSC1 in terms of coherent/consistent design. Several of its features have bumps in quality that puts it above the rest, if only slightly. This car doesn’t have anything that hurts it per se, but does rely a lot on its looks.

Smooth Brute V8-X (AirJordan)
For a car that’s actually an SUV this vehicle did better than I expected. Unfortunately even with the highest drivability and holding well in all other categories it is an SUV and I was really looking more for a car. So I’ll have to pass…unfortunately.

CSC1 (theCarlover)
I do enjoy the looks of this car and the gull-wings doors are a very neat feature. Like I said previous this has one of the most consistent design philosophy across the car as a whole that I’ve seen. Unfortunately like the CNK34 the lack of a luxury interior is what hurts this car the most. Its price, however, does make up for that though not enough to make a comeback.

Komodo Predict Millenium (Koolkei)
I wish this car had more to its rear end; I don’t know what, but it feels lacking to me. I also wish it had just a couple of its many quality point invested into its interior and entertainment. That’s all I can really say against this car. I’m not quite sure how this car comes in under the price tag because of the quality boosts, but it appears to do so.

It’s a tough decision, but my pick is the:

Komodo Predict Millenium

On the whole it is the best for me for the money. While the X85 has a better interior and entertainment and the Revera has a more consistent appeal, the Komodo Predict Millenium offers a lot for the money. To be fair is no slouch visually either. It offers a lot of HP, the highest top speed and a quick 0-62mph. It also offers 20USMPG. It offers an excellent five speed. While I wasn’t sure about an open differential everything seems to be in order and I don’t foresee any issues. That’s the short of why I chose the Komodo Predict Millenium.

Congrats to Koolkei!
<<

Sillyducky

Cars: An Actros in a game and that's it.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Too bad the C2 was not the best. Congrats on the win though :)
Maybe next time...
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:19 pm

Thank you Sebesseg for doing business with us. Also a reminder don't go too wild just yet now, you still need to break in the car. and never forget the 5 year warranty if you ever encounter any problem, we'll be happy to help.

trivia: the hood scoop is actually a cover for the slightly oversized engine that doesn't fit under the bonnet.

now before i continue on, have we agreed/decided on how we will decide the pricing limit from now?
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Well, I accidentally created a Jet Fighter. Stick on some wings and you wouldn't be too far off...

Anyway, GG Koolkei...

That was the closest I've gotten to winning one of these, so that's a big Plus.
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Great reviews. I am more than satisfied with the result, since I do not want to host another Round so quickly :P :lol:

Koolkei, congrats to you, I am eager to see with what you'll come up with :)
CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Koolkei: yeah nah we haven't yet. Also my senses tell me that a new open beta is imminent, so I think we should put a pause in submissions until then if you're going to use beta.

But you're free to devise the rest of the rules.
<<

koolkei

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:27 am

okay, will try to make the proper car first, then i'll edit this post. i was hoping i could at least start reviewing the cars by next friday, since i'm free that day, but is that deadline too close?

We at Aques are looking for a fleet of car that replaces one of out current existing and aging car. we are a running a car rental business, but not the normal car rental kind.
we offer our services for the 'big guys' in the world.
Your Giant multinational company's CEO is coming to your country? we have the perfect car for them for the time that they spent here.
you're a big shot in the entertainment industry? no problem, we have other kinds of cars, perfect for stars
you're a random joe that just want to feel like a king just for a day? well, why not? we have a whole barrage of cars to pick.

but the one we're looking to replace is our fleet of hyper Luxury cars for CEO, Ambassadors, and the kind. our car's are almost 10 years old, although it has gone through some upgrades, a 10 year old car is just not going to hold up to the newest standards, and the used value has already dropped so much, that's nearly the perfect time to replace the fleet.

now we are spreading an invitation, and asking for a quote of your offer. send us a quote and come to the designated place at the designated time with your offered car.
we are reserving a test track, for testing the cars to it's limits
  • the trim year is 2015
  • 1st of all, this is a luxury car, the number 1 score here is of course the luxury and prestige. we want our customer to be pleased beyond their expectation, we want the car to provide what they want
  • RWD, FWD, AWD we couldn't care less, as long it's up to our expectation. but do note that we want the best of the car to be available on any condition it may encounter.
    super blazing heat, a thunderstorm rain, going through a shallow flood, through a Thick fog, anything you could imagine.(i'll be looking closely at the transmission tab)
  • although, we have highly trained and experienced drivers, we would like a car that helps with their job, driving assists, handling characteristic, and such (good drivability and just enough sportiness)
  • now from the business side, unlike general consumers that usually buys this category of cars. we would prefer a toned down car in performance as long as it could give a significant fuel economy boost. our current car is averaging 16-17MPG, we would like if the new car could do roughly 20MPG (8.5km/l - 11.6L/100km)
    but not too much performance, we still need the power occasionally, like when the customer is late for a flight and need to 'go for it' to the airport or something
  • we usually now use premium 95(RON) octane fuel, since 91 isn't getting mas much out of the engine, and 98 is expensive if not also uncommon. so we expect the car is tuned, or at least, re-tuned to used 95 RON thank you.
  • again, because business, reliability is key, and running cost is the keyhole hehehe
  • have at least 4 doors and 4 nice seats. maybe 5 seats, but that adds unnecessary cost that we don't like, except if it's really worth it in some way
  • styling is, well, not as important. we do have our expectation of what a luxury car might look like though, certainly nothing sporty or such.
  • we expect the price to be up to $50,000 per car with your profits already included. but we sill pick the best for our money if it turns out that the best is priced at $45k or something like that.
  • edit: safety, never forget safety. safety kills less

that's it i guess. deadline is 7th April 2016
Last edited by koolkei on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:18 am

You're allowed to make the deadline closer! It may make things easier for you, too.
<<

BobLoblaw

Cars: 1994 Ford Taurus SHO,
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:57 am

Open Beta or regular?
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:05 am

If beta, what to do with new factory tabs? (it might be logical to say full quality, limited number etc.) or are we talking estimate price?
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

FrankNSTein

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:16 am

I'd prefer non-beta ;)
<<

DeusExMackia

Cars: '04 Seat Arosa 1.0 S

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:18 am

I'm asumming it doesn't matter what percentage profits we take then? I think I might have sometime in mind...

Also, I'd prefer non-beta too, but I don't mind changing if necessary.
ImageImageImageImage
Company ID: 1959771

The Great Automation Badge Grid - Get your company on the grid

"Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a bucktooth girl in Luxembourg"
<<

koolkei

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:20 am

i think we kinda agreed on open beta right? and that's what i'm using.

and DO NOT TOUCH a single factory tab. just use the 'estimated price', as it's relatively easier to judge.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions