The Car Shopping Round (Round 9)

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: The Car Shopping Round

When you put it like that, it made me doubt whether I'd mentioned it in my original post in the first place.

Turns out I did take it out. My bad. I said absolutely nothing about the value of the market segments because I thought it might generate confusion, and in forgetting I did this, I'm generating more confusion.

No decisions have been changed. Just disregard my earlier post, I'll redact it now!

EDIT: OP updated with list of accepted entries. I think I've gone through all the ones in my inbox so far.

Also, I said I was withholding comment but this part made me laugh:

But we also realize you don't buy a wagon unless you intend to use it to move stuff, which is why we gave you enough space to help your girlfriend move out when she finds out that you got a new car instead of that engagement ring. Be warned though, you will find hair pins in the car many years after that move, we are not responsible for that. With the back seats up this little number will comfortably seat four with plenty of leg room and head room all around, so at least your mother-in-law won't complain about that after you pick her up from the airport, there is still plenty of space in the back for all 12 of her suit cases, because yes, she is staying for three weeks, and there's nothing you can do about it.

My question is, how do I have a mother-in-law if my girlfriend moves out when I didn't 'put a ring on it', so to speak? :lol:

I hasten to reiterate, I'm judging the car. I'll react to the sales pitch (it'll be fun, I promise), but it's solely the car that I'm buying.
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:55 am

Sometimes, things you least expect get to you the most. That is where Smooth Edwin Executive comes in play.
Instead of simply listing technical data let me picture you a scenerio:

It's Friday morning and you are heading deep in to the city for a meeting with NEW Smooth Edwin Executive. Rush hour is making traffic horrible but listening to your premuim sound system and not worrying about the clutch keeps you relaxed. Even more so, when you passed the sign "congestion charges for cars with emissions over 100...". Your new Edwin does only 90... Finally you arrive and you can find only one tight parking spot. Problem? Not really. Boxy shape does marvels for visibility.
Meeting is successfully coming to an end and you decide to take your 3 partners for a lunch to a great place across the town. Giving them a ride is a pleasure in your premium 4 seater with superb noise insulation and suspension dialled to comfort.
Day is coming to an end so on your way home you go pick up kids from school. Because of higher seating position and bright interior with those big windows, kids adore this car. Even the nasty rain and the fact that you are dead tiered does not worry you knowing there is all of the advanced safety looking after them and every possible driver assist controlling cars movement.
Next morning you deicide to have some time alone and go solo for a bike trip in to hills. But hills are 100 kilometres away... Fortunately your bike easily slides into the back of the Edwin without removing front wheel or anything. After some time driving a perfect B-road appears and some sport car passes you (can't touch this style). Usually you would be tempted but... wait, there is no but. You remember that you have 222hp V6, RWD and wait for it... 50/50 weight distribution. Happily you put DCT into manual, toughen up Adaptive sport suspension and make a great use of times like 0-100 in 6,7 sec and even more so 80-120 in 4.1 sec. For a moment you are worried for destroying your tyres but that's soon gone since all four are 215/50 16 and that's a tyre bargain.
Later that day, on a way home you browse through trip computer to maybe discover a single flaw of a new car. You don't have to be a genius to do the maths behind: spacious premium car with sportscar like performance equals bad consumption. Well no. All aluminium body, clad undertray, 7 speed DCT and sophisticated engine combined means constuption of 8.5 L/100km. Being distracted by awesome number Edwin puts out, you almost overlook a deer crossing the road. Doing 100km/h at a last moment you kick brake pedal as hard as it is possible. After just 33.8 meters vented discs saved that poor deer.
Coming home you know these are best 28400$ you ever spend.
Last edited by AirJordan on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

Puffster

Cars: No car atm, but a kawasaki z650, 1981

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:55 am

Racer13 wrote:Are points deducted for obnoxious posts? *cough* Puffster *cough* Because dear god, I was going to read that but had to stop before I made myself sick. :lol:

Also, I'm still having fuel economy problems. I made the engine as lean as I could run it, but only got a couple extra MPG out of it. I mean the fact it weighs as much as a house, uses a 6.0 L V8 and has AWD probably doesn't help, but still, I should be able to get better figures than I am. Tips? I tried the extra gear, that didn't help much. I'm really rather stuck.

Cheers - Racer13

Hahaha, brilliant! Got some inspiration from the picture in the initial post, we've all met one like that. Although they tend to be rather annoying they have this uncanny way of being able to sell things.

That being said my friend, ABR does not only sell cars but also crate engine ready to install right in your car. Should it be warranted we could always be of service to your company, and I assure you Mr. Racer13, we deliver almost whatever you need. Give us a call or send an email with desired specifications and the slav... ehrm i mean engineers will be put on it right away! (Helping you retaining the girlfriend however is not part of our package=
Last edited by Puffster on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
Will be updated soon... ish... perhaps... hopefully
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:47 am

so strop....
how much
function : speed/sportiness ratio do you prefer?

50:50? more functionality of 65:35?

i got a car that im relatively pleased with, will forever haul whatever you need, and do red light drag, or any straight line race.
while bathing you with comfort everywhere you go.

but are slow.... like 8:52 green hell slow.
<<

Racer13

Cars: 1996 Ford Probe GT

2007 Intrepid Cruiser w/ 125 IAME Leopard

250 Superkart on the way

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:35 am

@Strop Ssssshhhhh. I realized that as well as I was writing it, but just go with the flow and don't question it.

@Puffster Maybe HPC could use your engines in their kit cars, although I don't know when your company started. In about mid '60's HPC started supplying their own engines as an option, so there's about a decade when we mostly used crate engines.

Cheers - Racer13
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:52 am

The Performance Hot Hatch Competition has really stepped up it's game as of 2016, So naturally, we at Shromet had to improve the Radiant to something in another league of performance.

So Why Choose A Radiant?

It's Fast.
The Shromet Radiant is by far the most competent Performance car in it's class. It Boasts 0-60 in 4.2 Seconds. Making it quicker than a Ford Focus RS, quicker than A Honda Civic Type R, and quicker than a Volkswagen Golf R, Plus, it has a top speed of 160MPH. Powered by a Turbocharged 1.9 Liter Inline 6 that makes 285 Horsepower. Because the Capacity of each cylinder is less than a Suzuki Hayabusa, This engine will rev all the way up to 9,000RPM.

Shromet Radiant - Limited-1.png
Shromet Radiant - Limited-1.png (739.06 KiB) Viewed 19716 times

It's Practial.
With It's 2 Regular front doors, and 2 rear suicide doors, the Shromet Radiant makes for an excellent compromise between Coupe and Sedan. Even with a symmetrical All Wheel Drive System that makes usable in all seasons, The Shromet Radiant manages to get 30MPG Combined. Plus, It stops in Just 113 Feet from 60 Miles an hour. Making it one of the best cars to prevent ever even having an accident.

It's Priced for everybody.

We at The Shromet Corporation Think the small premium of 31,000 Dollars is Plenty Justified. It Undercuts the competition by more than a fair margin, while providing performance more than capable of beating Higher priced sports cars, and being a practical, spacious, fun, fuel efficient car, that is easy to drive day in and day out.

Shromet Radiant - Limited-2.png
Shromet Radiant - Limited-2.png (754.86 KiB) Viewed 19716 times

We are doing a Limited run of just 1700 Shromet Radiant Limited Edition, so pick one up before they are all gone.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:01 am

Introducing the 2016 Solo Wolf SSM!

With the all new Wolf SSM, you get premium performance at a mid-range price. Our Wolf midsize sedan is popular in all worldwide markets, and the new SSM edition was designed for performance enthusiast who still need a practical car.

Constructed with an all-aluminum body, AHS steel frame, dual-wishbone suspension on all wheels, and a rear wheel drive setup, the Wolf SSM is not your basic midsize sedan. The fastback sedan styling with a liftback is stylish yet practical, seating 5 in a comfortable mid-range interior with plenty of cargo space. The 18" alloy wheels, front lip, large grill, rear diffusor, and dual chrome exhausts make the sporting nature of this sedan clear without being so overt to attrack unwanted attention.

Under the hood, you will find a newly designed AlSi 3.5L DOHC 24 valve direct injected twin-turbo V6 producing 400 hp and 505.7 Nm and revving up to 6000 RPM. Paired to a 6-speed double clutch sequential transmission, the Wolf SSM does the 0-100 km/h in 5.1 seconds and has a top speed of 281.3 km/h while managing a respectable 10.45 L/100 km. All wheels feature 225 mm wide sport compound tires and vented disc brakes, with 320 mm rotors on the front wheels and 260 mm rotors on the rear breaking from 100 km/h in a mere 33.49 m. The active sport suspension tuned for sportiness and drivability allow for a comfortable daily commute and exhilirating track weekends.

All of this can be yours for only $29,700! Visit your Solo Motors Co. dealership today and try the 2016 Solo Wolf SSM!

Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

oppositelock

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Scion FR-S

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:54 pm

The 2015 GSI Danube RS36 represents the pinnacle of understated Fruinian style, sensible practicality and eyeball flattening performance. With a turbocharged inline six pumping 432 horsepower though a six speed manual and a rear biased AWD system, 0-100 KPH is dispatched in a supercar-spec 3.9 seconds on the way to a 12.3 quarter mile. Fade free brakes and knife edge suspension tuning ensure this beast also dances, hustling around the famed Nordschleife in 8:26. Of course, between track days the Danube is also a comfortable family estate, with a spacious and well appointed interior including all the bells and whistles our customers expect. Coming soon to your local GSI showroom, starting at $29150.

Last edited by oppositelock on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Dragawn

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A high tech sportscar consisting entirely of air!

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:47 pm

The Dragotec Move
Boring name, has that boring hatch, plenty of low end torque, only burns 8.1l/100km, asides from a slightly aggressive look it seems like a normal city car. Until some madman doesn't shift before 4000 rpm. Because after 4000 rpm Dtec kicked in yo, and the 4.1L V12 begins to sing, all the way to 9100 rpm. That's right, under that plastic in the engine bay isn't just some inline 4 or 6, or douchey V8, but something that you'd rather expect in a refined Aston Martin, Bentley or Jaguar, yet at an affordable price. Looking for an affordable and practical GT? You just found it.

Go ahead, taxi anyone you'd like with it, they can't tell its true potential as the engine zooms dead silent at "civilized" rpms, even on the highway. They can't tell either that the car can take 1.1g in every corner, because who would speed that much? This car only shows its true colours when you want it to. Having a 25/75 F/R power split it's possible to steer the car using the throttle, while still being able to shoot like an arrow out of every corner with 420 hp. Now, how fast is this car really then? Glad you asked:

Isn't it badly above your budget then? Nope, nope, it isn't, not at all.

The Dragotec Move, proving that your trackmonster can also be dailied by your grandmother.

Try it out today and enjoy calmly commuting, while still being able to rocket yourself down some empty roads with a single downshift* in true Jekyll and Hyde fashion.

*Flappidiwhappidipaddles** optional at same price point.
**Still just single clutch though.
Last edited by Dragawn on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:12 am

Updated the Round OP with 3 more entries scrutinised and accepted. Some people have submitted ads and not submitted PMs yet, and that's fine at this stage.

koolkei wrote:so strop....
how much
function : speed/sportiness ratio do you prefer?

50:50? more functionality of 65:35?

i got a car that im relatively pleased with, will forever haul whatever you need, and do red light drag, or any straight line race.
while bathing you with comfort everywhere you go.

but are slow.... like 8:52 green hell slow.

You will not be alone if you submitted a car like that. As you can see, I've had a huge variety from ultracompact perky MR sports cars with 0% practicality and 100% fun, to grunty saloons that scream 'MURICA (yes, there is PLENTY of market for that in Australia, despite what I've been saying about the rest of the market at large), to hot hatches with some hair-raising engineering choices, family mid-sized and larger sized sedans with varying balances on the spectrum of hoontastic to tight and efficient, to bigass wagons that'll haul as much adventure gear as I could ever need, to a cube with 100% practicality.

In short, you do what you believe in. Right now I'm extremely happy with what I've got but it's going to be super difficult to pick out a single winner, let alone three places. I've got little blurbs and little bits of reaction and dialogue and the lot's going to be published for your pleasure.

I will also be asking my girlfriend to read this thread and offer her impressions of each car. For fun.
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 am

strop wrote:
I will also be asking my girlfriend to read this thread and offer her impressions of each car. For fun.

You could warn us earlier that your girlfriend is picking the car ;) :D

Anyway if I step out of the competition for a moment I am really impressed with variety, quality and especially design of some cars. Awesome!
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:24 am

Hey strop, just to confirm, did you get my car by PM? I submitted it but I'm not sure if something went wrong, since I'm not on the list of submitted entries.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:44 am

@thecarlover: You did ask me to delete the previous message so I disregarded it. I've not seen any further attachments yet!
<<

Racer13

Cars: 1996 Ford Probe GT

2007 Intrepid Cruiser w/ 125 IAME Leopard

250 Superkart on the way

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:43 pm

AirJordan wrote:Anyway if I step out of the competition for a moment I am really impressed with variety, quality and especially design of some cars. Awesome!

I know! Some designs are very interesting. I'm pretty happy with the Series 6 so I think I will actually add it to the HPC lineup, and I already know some improvements for the next year. Great stuff. Will definitely be excited to see where this challenge goes.
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:37 am

Collosal-E - Primal-1.png
Collosal-E - Primal-1.png (933.42 KiB) Viewed 19743 times

so here's the Collosal-E Primal.
want to haul shiz? sure thing
grocery getter? it's got your back
tow your boat to the beach? no sweat
convinces your to-be mother-in-law that you actually have you shit together because you have this car that she thunk this car is really nice and would cost a fortune? as long as you didn't tell her it was just stolen yesterday and you didn't opened up that you just lost your job and spent your last money on a freakin NES that won't even read that freaking mario bros cartridge. the car will do it for you.
go to the track? as long as you're content with second to last place. sure.
but don't be fooled by the 2 ton weight. 5.5sec 0 - 60 will still get you seated nicely on that stitched leather seat. while banging on your favourite anime OST song with the volume turned up to 11 from the 7.1 surround sound speakers from Beets

Collosal-E - Primal-2.png
Collosal-E - Primal-2.png (918.23 KiB) Viewed 19743 times

376HP of pure potential. a SUGHOI amount of practicality
21.9 MPG.
you'll feel so KIMOCHII after buying all this SUBARASHII-ness for only $31k.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no. im not sorry after sullying your eyes after reading that.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions