FAQ  •  Login

The Farm Truck Challenge (Stage 2 - Results!)

<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:01 pm

The Farm Truck Challenge (Stage 2 - Results!)

The Farm Truck: The quintessential piece of any farmer's vast array of machinery. It doesn't matter what type of agriculture the farmer is in. Those farmers have had a truck to get the work done since the Model A rolled off the assembly line. That farmer has probably had many different trucks of many different kinds and maybe even many different makes throughout the years, but there's one thing for sure: The best ones have worked just as hard as the farmer.

The year is 2011 and the American Automotive Industry is starting to fully recover from the financial crisis. With that recovery comes new sales and revitalized product lines with much needed improvements. Ford Motor Company has just re-branded the F-150 with its EcoBoost lineup and it appears that the American Pickup wars have begun anew. Your company realizes that the F-150 is the best-selling vehicle in the entire United States, not just the pickup market. Therefore, you want a piece of that market share. You know that most of these trucks go to the blue collar, hard working, everyday buyer. You know that you need to build something dependable, tough, and powerful enough to start working before the sun comes up while also being able to keep going once the sun sets again.

However, you also know that there's that group of farmers who like to use their truck for work and for play. That's right, the United States sells a fair amount of Sports Trucks for the guys and gals that would love to have a muscle car, need a truck, and can only afford or choose to own one vehicle. This type of truck is a hybrid that scoffs at every Eco-friendly definition that's ever been assigned to the word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4nWvsVX5Q

You know there's more money to be made in this section of the US market and your company wants to make sure that the lead-footed truck owners have something to latch on to.

Judging Criteria
(I intend to make this into a multi-stage competition [Here's stage two] in order to encompass the various uses of Pickup Trucks and some of the different draws they have to their respective markets. For now please only consider the below criteria, but be considerate to the fact that you may need to be able to revise your design for a secondary stage at a later date.)

The awards for this stage are TBD.

90% of Final Score:
  • Very Heavily Weighted (Score x 1.5): Reliability, Sportiness, Environmental Resistance, Track Time (Time x -5) at Tulsa Drag Strip Available at: http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4860#p46892
  • Heavily Weighted (Score x 1.3): Practicality, Prestige, Utility, Drivability, Cost of Ownership ((Total Cost + Running Cost Tab)/-500)
  • Standard Weight (Score x 1.0): Offroad, Fuel Economy, Safety
  • Lightly Weighted (Score x 0.7): Comfort
  • Bonus Points will be awarded for those who use the same engines as their stage one build that:
    1) Have the same Cam Profile, and/or
    2) Have the same Fuel System, and/or
    3) Have the same Aspiration Type (Turbocharged engines cannot alter any sliders on the Turbo Tab.): (Weighted Score + (# of similarities x 5 Points))

10% of Final Score:
  • Time around the Automation Test Track: ((Average [Mean] Time of all Accepted Entries [in seconds] - ATT Time [in seconds]) x 20)

Rules

In order to be eligible for this stage you must have either:
(1) Competed in Stage 1; or,
(2) Build a truck that complies with Stage 1 Rules and also scores at least 625 in the "Weighted Score" Column on the Stage 1 Spreadsheet which can be found HERE

• Model, Trim, Engine, and Variant Tabs all use MY 2011.
  • Model MUST be the same from Stage 1 with a new trim.
  • Market Price < or = $45K in Gasmea @ 10% with a Medium 2 Factory.
  • Cooling must be sufficient for engine requirements.
  • Must be a Pickup Truck Body that you used in the first stage. (Open Cargo Area.) No SUVs or Vans.
  • Must have at least the minimum amount of seats for the given body style. No .Lua modding.
  • All Mods used MUST be available through the Steam Workshop. (thecarlover has built a modern truck body that is available as a mod. You can find it here: http://www.automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552&start=190#p90414)
  • Must have a catalytic converter.
  • Must be Road Legal. (Headlights, Tail Lights, Door Handles)
  • Must use Regular Unleaded Fuel.
  • Loudness < 75
  • Safety > 50
  • Engine Reliability > 50
  • No negative quality sliders.
  • Tires may not be Chunky Offroad or Semi-Slicks and may not exceed +3 on the quality slider.
  • Must achieve a minimum of 7.5 US MPG.

How to Submit

Entries and revisions are closed.

Please export your truck to a .Zip folder using the game's Export Function and PM the files to me.

Naming Convention:
Model: FTC (Username) - THIS MUST BE THE SAME AS YOUR STAGE 1 BUILD WITH A SECOND TRIM.
Trim: FTC2 (Car Name) - I MUST BE ABLE TO SEE BOTH YOUR STAGE 1 AND 2 BUILDS IN MY TRIM SELECTION.
Engine Family: FTC2 (Username) - If you use a new engine only.
Variant: FTC2 (Engine Name)

The deadline for submissions is 11:59:59.999 PM US Eastern Time January 24, 2016.
Rejected entries have to be revised and resubmitted by the original deadline.

Accepted Entries
Vri404
HighOctaneLove
carskick
Slax
strop
Sillyworld
koolkei
Asdren
Madrias
TheTom
thecarlover
Sebesseg

Rejected Entries
BlastersPewPew
AirJordan
Puffster
stensen

Results
12th-4th Place: Click Here!
3rd Place: Click Here!
2nd Place: Click Here!
1st Place: Click Here!
Final Score Spreadsheet

Edits:
Altered naming format.
Various spelling, punctuation, and syntax corrections.
Moved Prestige and Fuel Economy in the scoring breakdown.
Added a minimum fuel economy rule.
Changed Tulsa Calculation.
Added Bonus Points.
Added Stage 1 Spreadsheet.
Added ATT Track Calculation.
Updated the location of thecarlover's Pickup Mod.
Corrected ATT Track Calculation.
Deadline Extended.
Closed Challenge.
Added Results.
Last edited by KLinardo on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:36 am, edited 42 times in total.
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: The Farm Truck Challenge (Stage 2 - Preview)

well this is a twist..... i can't say how glad i am to built my truck relatively lightweighted.

time to change the engine. and some turbos, this time, i think turbo is gonna fit the theme
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Unlock the rev limiter and let my big beastly engine scream above my intentionally limited 4200 RPM. It may be heavy, but it's going to be fun. That, and get rid of that awful automatic. It won't be easy, but I'm sure I can make my big, beastly truck run fast enough to perform well on the drag strip.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Do we get any bonus points for keeping the engine family?

p.s. I get the feeling my new entry is still going to be underpowered, judging by those beasts in the video... even if those were modded.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:37 pm

Well well well, my choice may not be so stupid after all :D This is going to be VERY interesting!
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:46 pm

Suggestion, can we NOT rename the Model/Engine and just rename the trims/variants?

EDIT: Looks like we can swap engines, is that right?
EDIT2: NVM about the renaming question, I can see why it is best to copy your old model now.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:19 am

strop wrote:Do we get any bonus points for keeping the engine family?

p.s. I get the feeling my new entry is still going to be underpowered, judging by those beasts in the video... even if those were modded.

I am contemplating having the current scoring system only account for part of the overall score. I would like to reward those who share more components with their original design. I was trying to think of something that utilized the game engineering time as a limiting factor, but my mathematician days are far behind me.

BlastersPewPew wrote:Suggestion, can we NOT rename the Model/Engine and just rename the trims/variants?

EDIT: Looks like we can swap engines, is that right?
EDIT2: NVM about the renaming question, I can see why it is best to copy your old model now.

Derp. I actually forgot that you would have to not rename the model and engine. I might actually institute this rule because it would be very difficult for me to ensure that your sport truck shares the same chassis and body materials as your original build. It will also keep my game less cluttered.

Engine swaps are fair game. American Pickups are one of the last vehicles in the states that actually have a large variety of engine options anymore.
Boss Motorsports
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:31 am

I think I'll just turn my boost gauge up to 11... well more like 30.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:47 am

I made a few edits to the OP to try to (somewhat) corral what I foresee as the utilization of some very rich fuel mixtures and to balance the scoring a touch.
Boss Motorsports
<<

Madrias

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:31 am

Hmm... To stick with my current engine, or switch it out in favor of something with turbos... Hard choice, honestly. Probably best if I change my engine, I think. Only so much I can do with an engine that's got a very long stroke.
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:25 am

Can I just enter the exact same truck?
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:01 pm

As long as it meets all of the new requirement it's fair game.
Boss Motorsports
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:29 am

Re: The Farm Truck Challenge (Stage 2 - Accepting Entries)

Now Open!

See OP for details.
Boss Motorsports
<<

Madrias

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:30 am

After some playing around, gonna have to swap the V12 out. I just can't get any useful power out of it while meeting the reliability requirement. Should have known the lack of turbo was going to bite me square in the butt.

Just gonna have to play about with some designs, see what I can come up with for increasing my power in this truck, and seeing if I can get the big beast to run.

Edit: Upon further tinkering, maybe the big and heavy V12 isn't going away... I can't rev the crap out of it, but I can make the most out of the rev range I have.
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Presenting the 2011 Bogliq Haulage Holeshot!!!

Quicker, cheaper and better looking than the range topping Texas model, buy a Haulage Holeshot and you'll be the quickest haybale in all Moldova!!!

Bogliq Haulage Holeshot.png
Bogliq Haulage Holeshot.png (800.39 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions