AVUS Grosser Preis von Berlin (1990) [FINISHED]

<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Golf

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:11 am

AVUS Grosser Preis von Berlin (1990) [FINISHED]

Preis von Berlin 1990

To celebrate the unification of Berlin we have reopened the Automobil-Verkehrs- und Übungsstraße, Berlin for a first race to be held in 1990.

It is not a too serious event. I just want to see if people want to give it a try and what can be done technically on this track. If I get any submissions I will run the event on Sunday Jan 17 and declare a winner.
Also the best lap time and top speed will be made official records.

I will no take part in the competition myself, but run a reference car.

AVUS is an extremely fast track. I therefore restricted displacement to small engines to promote safety, and to facilitate getting more from small displacement.
Turbos will be restricted to 1L and N/A engines to 2L
It's an open question if turbos can get better lap times than N/A engines, but this does not mean that the car with the most horsepower will win. To win you must make use of the two long straights. In order to so so you can reach in excess of 500 km/h and build a car with minimal aerodynamic drag. Aero is tricky on this track considering that 2/3 of the track time is spent full throttle.

You can make changes to the quality sliders but in this class are restricted by a 40,000$ Total Expense per car price limit [see 1]. This figure is discussable in the future. But it means you can make a few improvements but there is no way to make cars with sliders all maxed out. Quality changes to the tyres are not allowed at all, because the winning car is not supposed to get it's main advantage from tyres.

[1]Total Expense per car, for a Tiny run. It can be found under Detail Stats. There is also total cost under "Overview", but I dont know what that reflects.

If you want to partake there is track Version 2.1 for this event viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5740

Version 2.2 can also be used: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5740

Deadline: Jan 16.2016
Race: Jan 17.2016

Rules

rules_avus_3.jpg
rules_avus_3.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 7240 times

Official Results

Below is the result as Excel file, because it is unpossible to display the results on this page without distortion :(

GP AVUS 1990 official result.zip
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 230 times

Track Record

Top Speed

Last edited by BurningBridges on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:22 am, edited 24 times in total.
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:16 am

Re: AVUS Grosser Preis von Berlin (1990) 1000/2000 cm³

List of Events

Sunday Jan. 10 2016 Public presentation of Versuchswagen 90.

The first event was the presentation of the reference car sponsored by the organizers.

It’s purpose was not be ranked but to further the development of the track with a car fine tuned to the 1990 rules.

Versuchswagen 90
© VEB Berliner Currywurst und Versuchswagen GmbH
Engine developed by Deutsche Motorenwerke (DMW)

V902.jpg
V902.jpg (188.61 KiB) Viewed 7027 times

Driven by David Hasselhoff, the car could almost exactly catch the old track record by Tony Brooks ( 2m:04s,47 ), at a top speed of 320,8 km/h

Due to the noise rabbits and boar fled the surrounding Grunewald towards Potsdam. There were no other incidents during the presentations.

The car is (at the time) notably lighter than the competition and several seconds faster.

Mon Jan. 11 2016

AVUS and nialloftara have agreed to announce that the car with the number 10 (CPV, United States of America) has set a fantastic new track record!

Times etc will of course remain secret until the official result.

Wen Jan. 13 2016

1991 and onward

The AVUS racing comitee has proposed to rule out the Porsche 356 from future competitions.

The idea is not to punish a certain car, but we see no reason to further develop a car if it has already proven to be the very best on the track. It is therefore our plan that all previous winning chassis can no longer be entered in the following year, unless there are reasons against it. Reasons against it are of course when there is no indication that the car was possessing any clear inherent advantages.

In 1991, 356 based cars can still be submitted but will be placed in a special "record attempts" event. It can still be showcased and ranked in speed and lap records but not the main race.

The teams have time to make their statement regarding this. We propose this rule either for
a) all classes
b) only C2 class
if b) this would mean that 356 can still compete in the 1200/2400cm³ event.

Saturday Jan. 16 2016 23:59 CET

Deadline for new submissions.

List of Participants ( Saturday Jan. 16 2016 )

emtries_20.jpg
emtries_20.jpg (136.52 KiB) Viewed 6846 times

Sunday Jan. 17 2016 - Official Results

Berliner Motorsportmagazin 1/1990

“Rausch der Geschwindigkeit”

Sun Jan 17 1990

For the last two weeks the first motorsports event on the reopened AVUS hosted a prestigious international field from the Emirates, Italia, Indonesia, Slovenia, Spain, USA, New Zealand, Japan and Germany (3 teams)

We’d like to thank all participants for their hard work and incredible results. We were really impressed by the participation and the quality of cars.

Koolkei

The first week saw the first batch of entries, with Koolkei from Indonesia taking an early lead. At this moment his best best lap time was 2:10,11

On the intermediate weekend we decided to reveal our own (Porsche 356 based) car which we hoped would give a push to the competition ( 2:04,47 ). It spoiled all chances we had for the track record but afterwards times quickly began to fall under the 2:00 minutes mark, so we consider this a good move at the time.

Airjordan, the first of the second batch of Porsches

The second week brought more Porsche 356 based cars, and really unbelievable times. AirJordan reached 2:05,98.

Then Nialloftara (United States of America) entered two of his cars with martial names and undertones of Oedipus complex (“Terror”), and insane 404 hp turbo engines. The RWD Terror reached a record speed of 356.1 km/h and completed the first sub 2min time in the track's history ( 1:59,09 ) ever. It looked for a moment like this was already the end of the competition!

Markus 817

But Markus 817 (Japan) thought otherwise. On Friday, Matoyama Motors car achieved an even more unbelievable 1:57,24. Markus could later improve this to 1:56,99 but even that was not the last word.

Engines at this point maxed out at over 400 hp and began to resemble Formula 1 engines.

strop/nialloftara

The race was won on the very last day. And it was the combined efforts of strop’s tuning and nialloftaras engine that produced the absolutely fastest car. Together they could beat markus 817’s time by a half second (1:56,32). Congratulations to the winners strop and nialloftara and markus 817 valiant second place!!

There were long faces of our own DMW engineers as they had hoped to compete for the absolute lap record, but quickly relaxed once it was realized that our FFWD design had absolutely no chance. Our own sub 2:00 turbo FFWD was abandoned around 1:59

The race was meant as an international motor festival, and a lot could be learned about the characteristics of the track. Eventually, turbos completely dominate the field. The most valiant of the N/A cars (Asdren’s V12) was able to get to 4th place and leave most of the turbos behind. An impressive feat, considering an almost 100 hp gap!

Special awards

GDD Southing

GDD Southing won the election for the most beautiful car.

Asdren C-speedster

2nd Asdrens C-speedster

3rd Microwave

And 3rd Microwave Avus Special

Official Results

Below is the result as Excel file, because it is unpossible to display the results on this page without distortion :(

GP AVUS 1990 official result.zip
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 212 times

Track Record

Top Speed

Last edited by BurningBridges on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 73 times in total.
<<

iRaptor

Cars: No cars yet.

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:47 am

Re: AVUS Grosser Preis von Berlin (1990) 1000/1500 cm³

Some witnesses apparently saw engineers from Lefatti working on a high speed prototype. They claim they've seen a very strange camo car with an extreme topspeed, but the witnesses are known for their partial blindness so their statement can't be properly verified.

Scirocco by Lefatti Automotive decided not to answer to some questions coming from journalist about this incident.
Lefatti Automobili : viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4421&start=10
---------------------------------
Lefatti Automobili - Car Company
Scirocco by Lefatti Automobili - Racing Department

More to be announced very soon.
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:03 am

Request for Comments: Fuel Consumption Rules

NINJA'D Sun 2016/Jan 17 for lack of thread space

Since I have already done most of the work for pit stop / fuel calculation rule, I better publish the promised sample calculation now, before this gets forgotten.

HINT: This is not related to the official race result in any way, just a sample calculation!

I still plan to introduce this rule for the next race because I like the implications, and the calculation worked well in Excel.
This rule would benefit N/A cars, heavy cars, and generally all cars with better fuel economy

Below is the Excel file, you can check yourself with different values.

download/file.php?id=18479

1.) I have included unranked cars to have a better data sample

2.) Race has been increased to 1000 km = 121 laps * 8,3 km for the rules to have more of an impact.

3.) Time for a pit stop has ben set to 1min30s , this is of course discussable and eventually determines the impact that fuel consumption will have on the result.

4.) tank capacity is car weight / 10 , meaning large and heavy cars have a small advantage (provided they dont use disproportionally more fuel)

The resulting number of pit stop varies a lot, between 0 (the overweight but fuel economic GDDs) and 4 (the grossly overpowered FWD terror) respectively 3 for Air Jordan, Matoyama, CPV-GG and all thirsty turbos while most N/A cars getting away with a single stop over 1000 kilometers, somewhat bettering their chances in the race.

As you can hopefully see, the final positions are not changed much.The only car that actually loses out by this rule is the FWD Terror, because it has the worst fuel economy compared to its car weight: 56L tank vs 26L/100km consumption meaning it needs to refuel every 200km. It's a bit awkward that the only change in position would benefit my own car :roll: as it would switch places with FWD terror. This is purely coincidental, because I happen to have the lighter and more fuel efficient car (54L tank / 11L consumption) compared to the Terror (56L / 26L), eventually offsetting a small difference in lap time. All other cars maintain or decrease their gap to the top, and the rule is generally more benefitting the cars in the lower half than at the top.

As you can also see the largest improvement in race time are mostly N/A cars compared to turbos, like asdren's V12 which gains 4:00 minutes compared to the top cars, though it's not yet enough to overtake them.

Questions / comments?
Last edited by BurningBridges on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:37 am

hmm. 1l turbo vs 1.5 l NA.

i think everyone is going the turbo route since this is gonna be a horsepower per liter race.

i say either lower the turbo engine limit, or increase the NA engine limit
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:46 am

Thanks. How much would be "right"?
Possibly, but nothing speaks against building a turbo car. I still have to make a turbo myself, in previous versions they were not competitive.
If lessons can be drawn the classes will be changed. I am open to suggestions. If the limit is to be set to 2x Turbo or something, and no one disagrees, we can of course do it.
<<

Awildgermanappears

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Nissan Note

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:55 am

koolkei wrote:hmm. 1l turbo vs 1.5 l NA.

i think everyone is going the turbo route since this is gonna be a horsepower per liter race.

i say either lower the turbo engine limit, or increase the NA engine limit

Seconded. The maximum displacement for turbos needs to be lowered to 750cc, otherwise there is no point in running NA.
Last edited by Awildgermanappears on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMP Automotive Empire:

IMP Automobilbau
Monolith Motors
LaVache Horseless Carriages
<<

Awildgermanappears

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Nissan Note

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:00 am

BurningBridges wrote:Thanks. How much would be "right"?
Possibly, but nothing speaks against building a turbo car. I still have to make a turbo myself, in previous versions they were not competitive.
If lessons can be drawn the classes will be changed. I am open to suggestions. If the limit is to be set to 2x Turbo or something, and no one disagrees, we can of course do it.

I did some testing with NA and turbos and came to the conclusion that 750cc Turbos are very evenly matched to 1500cc NAs. They still have a minor Power advantage, however NAs require less cooling airflow and therefore have an aerodynamic advantage.
IMP Automotive Empire:

IMP Automobilbau
Monolith Motors
LaVache Horseless Carriages
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:06 am

i need to test that. i'll test the 750cc first. although im guessing it's gonna be more 800cc.

and if that's the case, then i already have an engine from the HHC. :)
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Korean 2 Litre DOHC Brap Machine

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 am

I want to take part in this, but I can't be bothered to uninstall all of my mods and break all of my cars for this one challenge. Can you please lift the "vanilla body only" restriction?
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:30 am

BurningBridges does currently seem to have problems with their build, which will make such things potentially tricky. I know for sure that for such a race, I'd use the body with the lowest effective area, whichever one that may be.

BurningBridges, were you using Steam or standalone?
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:30 am

Standalone.

750cc is a little bit too small for that I wanted. If we can agree that it's 2 * Turbo = N/A I suggest it should be 1000cc / 2000cc

That means everthing stays the same, you can simply send me 2000cc N/A cars.

Microwave wrote:I want to take part in this, but I can't be bothered to uninstall all of my mods and break all of my cars for this one challenge. Can you please lift the "vanilla body only" restriction?

That's all right. If you really want you can send me your cars but if I cannot get them to run, it's your risk.
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:44 am

Is this ok now?
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 am

I'm in :D

EDIT: Why no race intakes and exhausts?
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:12 am

AirJordan wrote:I'm in :D

EDIT: Why no race intakes and exhausts?

I dunno, wasn't this sort of the standard we use here, for Production ready cars?
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions