<<

durk

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:44 am

'95 NASC (Major Announcements)

1995 Naturally Aspirated Supercar Cup

Thus far the challenge is:

Schedule

Monza (Lefatti Automobili) (70 laps)
Laguna Seca (HP Oil Solutions) (110 laps)
Le Mans (Montes Cars) (30 laps)
Sonoma (Zeke-Zero Tires) (100 laps)
Nordschleife (Montes Cars) (20 laps)
Bathurst (Astronaut Magazine) (65 laps)

(See the latest post made by me in this thread for the most current updates.)

Note that I won't actually be rolling dice for all of these calculations :p

How racing works (Calculations)
Race Strategy
Vehicle Construction Rules/How to Submit/Tire and Fuel Info

APPROVED ENTRIES:
Astronaut Magazine Racing - #404 Facciamo Cars Finaliz GTxR (Vri404)
Rado Automotive Inc. - LXR 5.0 (nerd)
Matoyama Target Racing - XL-1R NASC (marcus817)
Smooth Racing - Scar 300 NASC (AirJordan)
HP Craftworks - Model N953 (Racer13)
Baker & Haase Racing - Preston Premocar Experimental/"PPX" (Sebesseg)
Swanson Motorsports Engineering - Grunt (07CobaltGirl)
Komodo Speed Research - FT30 Super NA (koolkei)
Last edited by durk on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:37 am, edited 51 times in total.
Sellswick Performance - A small American tuning house
(PM me to request a Sellswick tune)

'95 NASC
<<

durk

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 am

Re: '95 Naturally Aspirated Supercar Cup (Rule Discussion)

This post has been converted into a google doc posted in the OP
Last edited by durk on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:57 am, edited 13 times in total.

'95 NASC
<<

durk

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 am

This post has also been converted into a Google Doc posted in the OP
Last edited by durk on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

'95 NASC
<<

acemaster25

Cars: 2003 Honda Accord

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 am

Seems like a lot of randomness for things that people cant plan around. In AMWEC the best cars had higher drivability than others allowing them to minimize crashes while this seems like its just how lucky each car is.
<<

durk

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:53 am

Drivability has an effect on crashes in this challenge. I included a lot of randomization to make things a little more interesting, so we don't know who won the series by the 2nd race. I can tone down the randomness if I am convinced it will be a good idea. I'm already considering reducing the probability of many of the negative events or shortening the races. Also, I may have not made it clear, but reliability also influences crashes. The probabilities included are based off of my experiences playing DnD; however, I'm beginning to think with the amount of rolls taking place in a single race the probabilities may need to be reduced.

EDIT: I've trimmed some of the negative probability events and I'm deciding on new race lengths

'95 NASC
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Holy dice rolls Batman...

I really like the randomness and your including all the wacky scenarios racing produces. But I must suggest toneing it down a little based on what I just read. I think we need more focus on the dynamics of how the car design will affect the race. You can keep all your randomization, but it needs to be secondary to our build parameters.
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

durk

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm

I'm definitely going to trim the probability aspect of this challenge further. A lot of these ideas aren't really that great and the challenge needs quite a bit of revision. I'm considering turning this into a single race challenge to keep things simpler and easier to run since this is my first challenge. I may be away from the forums tomorrow, but keep the suggestions coming.

'95 NASC
<<

Racer13

Cars: 1996 Ford Probe GT

2007 Intrepid Cruiser w/ 125 IAME Leopard

250 Superkart on the way

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm going to have to read this more thoroughly, but so far the race calculations seem to be everything I was wanting for the next season of the AMWEC. I think I will have to prepare and entry for this series, given that it gets off the ground. But if it does, I want to claim HP Oil Solutions as a sponsor for the Laguna Seca event.
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

durk

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:33 am

I'm replying from my phone, and my previous attempt at replying doesn't appear to have been posted. Sorry if it's just on my end and I end up double posting and repeating myself.

After further thought, the race schedule will include all currently proposed races. Also, Racer13 has claimed a sponsorship for Laguna Seca. As for the ruleset, there WILL be more revisions, and any potential entrants should keep in mind the rules can change quite a bit at this stage. Keep the feedback coming, and hopefully we will end up with a solid ruleset very soon. I would revise some rules right now, but opening up those huge posts on my phone isn't fun XD. I can tell you right now that Misc. Rolls may be completely eliminated, and if they aren't, I'm only keeping the penalties and probably reducing their likelihood. The likelihood of switching tires for changing conditions too early/late is also likely getting another look. I'll probably tweak some other things once I get back to my computer and I can read my posts more comfortably/have time to read them.

'95 NASC
<<

vmo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A undestructable Toyota with 1ZR FAE engine, Honda Civic VTi EG6, Mazda RX7 fc

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:08 am

Some suggestions:

-Call the sponsored events like this: [sponsor] NA Supercars [name of track].

-Put the rules in the first message, and put into a code or list tag to look better.
Company: Montes Cars
Company ID: 1940001
Visit the brand models http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3995
In AutomationHub.net: http://www.automationhub.net/company-ca ... mpanyID=18
My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/1MtRpd
<<

durk

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:10 am

Tomorrow I'll be able to get to my computer and run some tests with the revised ruleset. After I do that, I'll clean up this thread a little, reformat the rule posts, and finalize most of the edits I've made thus far since there seems to be no objections. There probably won't be very many more edits aside from probability tweaks, unless if I've totally glossed over something I meant to remove or heavily modify. Hard to read these posts on a phone screen. There will probably be a week long period to submit cars after I decide to wrap up rule discussion and editing.

EDIT: while many of the harsher dice rolls have been removed, if this series goes well enough, I will run it again and maybe re-establish some of the crazier scenarios I removed if demand is high enough (albeit with some significant tweaking). The first running of the NASCC will exclude them, though. Also, just a heads up, I'm thinking of incorporating fuel mixture selection and tire conservation choices that can be made prior to the race. For example, you may be able to instruct your driver to switch to rich and push his/her tires hard if they are within X seconds of the next car. If this makes it in, the "battling" effect will be removed. If the fuel mixture choices make it in, you will need to make 3 engine variants. One rich, one middle, and one lean. The only differences permitted will likely be fuel mixture and ignition timing parameters.

'95 NASC
<<

Racer13

Cars: 1996 Ford Probe GT

2007 Intrepid Cruiser w/ 125 IAME Leopard

250 Superkart on the way

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:50 am

The vehicle specs still seem rather open. Compare to the AMWEC where each class had a two and half page rule book.
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

durk

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 am

Spec regulations will get another look. I'll look into it tomorrow when I have my computer and I can open up Automation. I've mainly been focusing on the calculations since that's what got the most feedback, and adding more parameters for the participants to control, but I'd definitely say the specs need another look. I'm going to read about some real racing regulations along with taking a look at AMWEC rules, but reading a lot on my phone isn't very comfortable XD, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

The series is meant to be pretty open in terms of car design, but it may be a bit too open.

'95 NASC
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:26 pm

okay. im finally reading this.... that was a bit too long so i was putting off reading this
<<

durk

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:47 am

Re: '95 Naturally Aspirated Supercar Cup (Ruleset 2.0)

We're nearing the end of the rulemaking phase :D .

A little change log for today
----------------------------------
All rules, regulations, details, yadda yadda, have been cleaned up a bit and moved to Google Docs.

Building rules have been beefed up and tweaked. There are more rules now, but there is still quite a bit of freedom.

Pit stop variability has been downgraded. Pit stops now only vary by a maximum of a second. Exceptionally good and exceptionally bad pit stops have been eliminated. All pit roads in the series have been standardized and they all take 20 seconds to travel through, excluding the time it takes to make a pit stop.

Race strategy has been expanded upon and a few major additions have been made, including qualifying strategy and weather strategy.

Cars in the series may now choose between 3 fuel mixtures on the fly (See "Race Strategy" document for details on how this works)

Tire compounds are now chosen on a race-by-race basis instead of seasonally

Displacement limit has been dropped to 5000cc

Max tire width has been dropped to 335mm

Hopefully I listed all the changes I made. Give the docs a read to make sure you are up to date on the current ruleset. Expect the submission phase to start within the next few days, but I'm still taking feedback and I am still willing to make changes. There are two confirmed entrants so far. From here on out I expect to only make changes to the building regulations, which is the smallest document to read, so hopefully any further rule changes won't be too much of an issue to familiarize yourself with. There are no guarantees I won't tweak the other two documents, though.

EDIT: Qualifying has been reduced to a single lap. The "pushing" mechanic has been expanded. Cars must meet the minimum cooling requirement.

'95 NASC
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions