I wonder

<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:30 am

I wonder

has there been an event winner car (market challenge or race) with an OHV engine?
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:44 am

Re: I wonder

I assume you mean not counting the races which mandaged OHV/Pushrod, like VicVictory's TransAm challenges.

I don't know about winner, but certainly I know some of them have done very well. I'm under the impression that squidhead's Sepang in the AMWEC actually uses an OHV engine, but I'm not sure if that applies to the trim used in the race. They're very good at being lightweight. The main problem is that they're not as good at high end power or maximum revs as DOHC.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:57 pm

I guess than in future we are going to see More pushrod winners since we have mOHVs now I'd like a racing competition where displacement isnt capped but the are other ways to prevent mosnters. There must be a reason why The veyron never raced as far as I know and that thing is the most OP car in the real world.
<<

Awildgermanappears

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Nissan Note

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Manche wrote:I guess than in future we are going to see More pushrod winners since we have mOHVs now I'd like a racing competition where displacement isnt capped but the are other ways to prevent mosnters. There must be a reason why The veyron never raced as far as I know and that thing is the most OP car in the real world.

Define OP. Its probably hard to beat the Veyron in terms of sheer overengineering, but from a performance standpoint its pretty useless.
IMP Automotive Empire:

IMP Automobilbau
Monolith Motors
LaVache Horseless Carriages
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:16 pm

OHV and MOHV are cool. I really like their wide powerband when they're properly tuned. A DOHC engine can have a wide powerband too (but not as torquey), but c'mon, how times you rev a regular car all the way up to 6,800rpms? (I'm talking about automation engines). They're light and cheap, but the downside is that OHV/MOHV have a low specific output.

strop wrote:I don't know about winner, but certainly I know some of them have done very well. I'm under the impression that squidhead's Sepang in the AMWEC actually uses an OHV engine, but I'm not sure if that applies to the trim used in the race.
Nop, the Sepang uses 4v per cylinder. Actually the only cars using OHV engines in the AMWEC are from Team Fox Manor (Galadante and Novotek).
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:07 am

I won with my OHV in this challenge: http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =39&t=6943
<<

iRaptor

Cars: No cars yet.

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 am

Veyron is way too heavy.

And you'd have to detune the engine and scrap a huge lot of things in the interior to get it to a proper GT3 weight. There wouldn't be any point in getting it in any proper racecar trim. The Camaro and Viper GT3 have the biggest engines in GT Racing. 7.7 and 8.0L engines detuned to 650HP. They get some racing exhaust manifolds, high performance intake, high cam profile,etc and they still have to detune it. That's what happened to my AP1 entry in AMWEC. I can get a full additionnal 150hp out of my engine TBH...

Imagine the work they'd need to do to get a Veyron in racing. Not worth the rumored 8 millions $ needed to build one Veyron.
Lefatti Automobili : viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4421&start=10
---------------------------------
Lefatti Automobili - Car Company
Scirocco by Lefatti Automobili - Racing Department

More to be announced very soon.

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions