FAQ  •  Login

AMWEC '15 6HRS OF MELBOURNE [Final results!]

<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: AMWEC '15 6HRS OF MELBOURNE [Hour #3 update!]

The spidar!, the Exilus and the Vulcan figting for 10th place.
<<

Racer13

Cars: 1996 Ford Probe GT

2007 Intrepid Cruiser w/ 125 IAME Leopard

250 Superkart on the way

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Half way through this six hour race and there is still battles happening across the entire field. At this rate anyone could come out on top, and Znopresk/Gryphon Gear duo may be facing their first race without an overall victory. Currently the lead is being held by the Smooth Racing entry in AP1 who last pitted for fuel and tyres 40 laps ago. This lead change took place after the AGTE entry of the dominating Zeus GT had to pit for tyres. However, it's looking like the driver of the Alpha is beginning to drive more conservatively which could be an indication that he preserving both his tyres and his fuel, so we can be expecting another pit stop at the Smooth Racing garage shortly. The Zeus GT on the other hand has been one of the most fuel efficient car of the race, still one it's first tank of fuel and our data is showing that it's only used half of it's tank. Will Taylor met with a representative from Smooth Racing for a comment on their performance so far.
Smooth Racing Representative wrote:It is a proud moment being in front of the pack even if it is only the beginning. We hope we can stay out of accidents with Alpha but it will be hard work for our drivers, pushing those 790HP to the max all the time. Let's see what happens and best of luck to everyone.

One team who has been a surprise so far today has been the Fox Manor team with their Galadante AP1 entry, who has consistently not been running in last place. Hopefully this good fortune, particularly in the wake of the unfortunate events of yesterday, can continue not only through the race but throughout the rest of the season as well.

The rest of this past hour has been filled with routine pit stops and numerous unfortunate accidents, none of which have been the result of a collision or have lead to any retirements or injuries.

Will was able to get a driver of the Beta entry for a word just after getting off a long driving stint. "Yes, the track is really rubbered in now. Passing is becoming very difficult because there is a lot of marbles just off the racing line. Luckily we haven't seen very many cautions so far this race which has made race strategy very easy with that. We don't expect any rain today, so the track should only get faster as the race continues."
Last edited by Racer13 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

Sillyworld

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Racer13 wrote:The Zeus GT on the other hand has been the most fuel efficient car of the race, still one it's first tank of fuel and our data is showing that it's only used half of it's tank.

Acctually the most fuel efficient so far is the LMPC, still on it's first tank and have more than 60% fuel left! I think Zeus would be the second and the NV810 the third :geek:
Athough... the Zeus has covered a greater distance than those two...

Racer13 wrote:One team who has been a surprise so far today has been the Fox Manor team with their Galadante AP1 entry, who has consistently not been running in last place."

I don't want to be a bad guy or sound mean, but that made me laugh :lol: (sorry vri404)
<<

Racer13

250 Superkart on the way

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Sillyworld wrote:
Racer13 wrote:The Zeus GT on the other hand has been the most fuel efficient car of the race, still one it's first tank of fuel and our data is showing that it's only used half of it's tank.

Acctually the most fuel efficient so far is the LMPC, still on it's first tank and have more than 60% fuel left! I think Zeus would be the second and the NV810 the third :geek:
Athough... the Zeus has covered a greater distance than those two...

Sssssssssshhhhh.... You saw nothing.
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

Sillyworld

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Hour #4!

<<

Sillyworld

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: AMWEC '15 6HRS OF MELBOURNE [Hour #4 update!]

Now we're passing half the race and the fight keeps on going! The 6 hrs of Melbourne race is by far the most competitive event yet. Summing up, there's a long battle for first place between the Zeus GT and the Alpha. The first packing a tremendous amount of 685hp, while the later a monstruous number of 791hp. This might be the first time the Zeus loses (and even in his home country). The Sepang (with a nimble 550hp) is right behind them (a couple of laps behind actually).

The Exilus is one amazing car it seems, not so fast but pretty efficient. It started in 23th position, last hour was in 13th and now is up in 8th (and 3rd place for AGTE). The guys at Komodo Motors are pretty excited too, because the MEX has an outstanding performance. In qualifycation managed a 4th place, and it has stayed in the top 10 all the race, with the probability of ending 2nd for the AGTE. On the other hand, the Spanish team is not doing so well, in spite of qualifyng in 8th place, for the last 2 hours the RRSX-R has stayed down in the 25th position.

There was an unfortunate accident with the Vulcan and the Beta, both cars were in 9th and 10th place, but when the Vulcan tried to overtake the Beta in a very tight corner, it pushed the Beta out of the track, causing some damage to the bodywork of the Vulcan, but the Beta required a fast transaxle replacement in the pits, causing both cars to lose their places.

The NV810 went into pits and while the mechanics were changin tyres and refueling, the team also changed driver. We talk with the out-going driver:

Cataldo Mazzariello wrote:well, it's been a tough race, the wether is better now, and we hope we can keep climing places, the car is maybe a little slower than the others, but is very reliable and very tame to drive, so we think we may have a chance of ending in the top 5.

As we approach the 5th hour, the Zeus seems like is running out of fuel and tyres, so this can be the chance for the Alpha to take the lead again. We end the report here and we'll what else happens on the race.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm

it's pretty amazing how my cars can take so much accidents yet still stayed in the top10 O_O. and they are actually relatively fuel efficient...
although my AP2 car are unexpectedly slowly climbing up the rank...... great work by our drivers :)
<<

Sillyworld

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:28 pm

#5 hour update!

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: AMWEC '15 6HRS OF MELBOURNE [Hour #5 update!]

This is most certainly getting tense for us, needing an extra stop for fuel and probably tyres which are getting pretty scrubbed. That lead doesn't count for very much over the Alpha!

It's even worse when one considers the tyres are heating up and we'll need one more fuel stop. If there was only an option to fill the tank 1/4 of the way, that might save us considerably!
<<

Sillyworld

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:38 pm

And we're back. And the Zeus keep going as a leader. For a brief momento the Alpha was ahead of the Zeus, but that last a few laps, because the Alpha needed a change of fuel and new tyres. This hour has been filled with technical issues on the cars, that have required several pit stops. We can see the Prima 1 on 7th place now, it seems like it had some issue with the fuel pump. More tragic is what happened with the MEX. After been in the top 10 for almost all the race, it suffered from problems with the gearbox, and the mechanics needed several pit stops to get it right. That cost to the team several positions. While the MEX and the and the Exilus spent time in pits, the Vulcan keep going, and now is 2nd place in the AGTE category (6th overall) which could grand Meliora Automotive some points, since the last races have been really bad for their cars. The M128 has been suffered several malfuctions and accidents through all the race.

As we approach the last hour we can see that the lower places haven't moved very much, and the distance between the lower half and the higher half is bigger with each lap. At the beggining it seems like this circuit was better suited for the AP1 cars, but in the last hour, several AP2 are climing positions, while the AGTE class is right in the middle.

The hour is almost passed! and the final results are close...
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:08 pm

It appears that there have been technical difficulties in the reveal of the final results!
<<

Racer13

250 Superkart on the way

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:38 pm

Re: AMWEC '15 6HRS OF MELBOURNE [Race results update!]

Wow, what?! Hold up man, I was taking a shit. Gotta warn me about these things. (RCR reference anybody? Anybody?) Ok, so apparently I was left with the duty of posting the final results. I didn't realize I was going to become such an integral part of this system. So, here are the results of the final hour, and the conclusive results of the race.

And with that, the final 'Talking AMWEC Live Coverage' and 'Race Recap' of the 6 Hours of Melbourne.

After a long six hour race with near perfect racing conditions from beautiful Down Under, the Znopresk/Gryphon Gear team continue their dominance of the AMWEC season with their AGTE monster, the Zeus GT Spec. However, it was a close race and for the last couple hours it looked like Smooth Racing was still in with a chance of winning. Unfortunately the fates would have it otherwise and the Alpha entry came in second place, giving the Zeus GT it's closest run for its money yet, coming in only a single lap down. Had the Zeus GT needed to make one more stop for tires, it could have been entirely possible that Smooth Racing would be standing on the top step of the podium.

But there are more positions than just first and second, and the battles for position throughout the race continued down the entire field. At the end of the race there were over 5 cars finishing on lap 153, and other 7 cars all finishing on lap 152, still duking it out for those final points of the race. This just goes to show how close these cars are, even across all the different classes.

The podiums for each individual class are as follows:

AP1:
1. Alpha/Smooth Racing, 160 laps, 2nd overall
2. Sepang/Kraft Haus Technik, 158 laps, 3rd overall
3. Prima 1/Pragata Auto Motorsport, 156 laps, 5th overall

AP2:
1. Prima/Pragata Auto Motorsport, 156 laps, 4th overall
2. NickelArrow/Shromet Racing, 153 laps, 8th overall
3. Beta/Smooth Racing, 153 laps, 9th overall

AGTE:
1. Zeus GT Spec/Znopresk/Gryphon Gear, 161 laps, 1st overall
2. Exilus/ACE Racing, 154 laps, 7th overall
3. Adelaide/Kraft Haus Technik Jr Team, 153 laps, 10th overall

In the end though, not everyone can be a winner, and this race had a very high attrition rate when it came to spare parts, something many of the drivers attributed to close barriers just at the edge of the track for well over half of the length of the circuit. One of the drivers for the MEX of the AGTE class remarked to a reporter, "[The track] is very difficult with the barriers right at the edge of the track. In some places on the circuit a small error going into a turn can have very bad results on the exit because the wall is right there, so even a small touch can mean an extra pit stop to repair the bodywork. It also makes passing very challenging because later in the race there is so much loose rubber off the racing line which once you get into can greatly reduce your grip."

The toll on the cars does not stop where the rubber meets the road, though. Many cars suffered from mechanical failures that required extra time in the pits, luckily though none of these failures resulted in a retirement, making it an entire half a season without any retirements. The chief mechanical race engineer for Meliora Automotive met up with Will for a couple minutes to give some insight to the difficulties of racing in the Australian heat.
Meliora Automotive Chief Mechanical Race Engineer wrote:Australia poses a particular difficulty on the race calendar this season, even though it is only a six hour race. The real challenge of Australia is the heat, because unlike the American circuits we just came from, it is technically summer here in Australia, which means it is much hotter than we usually design and test our cars for. Because of this, and the very close tolerances of all the parts, they are more likely to fail due to overheating. This is particularly evident in the drivetrain of the car, which is the engine, the transmission, and the differential. The brakes are also going to have a harder time getting rid of their heat. Running at full throttle for hours at a time is not easy, and heat does not help, but it is a good way to find problems before the final 24 hour race at Le Mans.

The award for the biggest drive over the course of the race goes to the Exilus of ACE Racing, who climbed a whole 16 positions from their starting position of 23rd. But unfortunately the award for the biggest surprise of the race goes to a different team, one who's luck was in dire need of changing for the better. Luckily, today that happened, and the AP1 entry of the Galadante, being fielded by Fox Manor broke it's streak of last place finishes and brought the car home in 30th position. It's not much to write home about, but after a frustrating first half of the season the Fox Manor garage practically exploded with cheers of joy as the Galadante crossed the finish line. While we were sad to hear the news that Anna Drivik would be replacing Pau Kerin as number two driver of the Galadante following an injury that meant he would not be able to continue the season, it certainly seems she is intent on showing that she is a valuable asset to the team if they have any hope to salvage this season.

And that brings us to the end of a thrilling six hour race from Alberta Park. It was filled with excitement and tragedy throughout the entire race, and it left many questions still unanswered. Could the Zeus GT be seeing the end of it's commanding conquest as the leader of the 2015 AMWEC champsionship? Who will be the one to bring down the reign of the Znopresk/Gryphon Gear duo? There's still a lot of time left in this season, and the standings are looking to be close. Who will come out on top, and who will fade into the history books as the champions that could have been? We'll have to find out as the season continues to the 6 Hours of Fuji. I've been Steve Hatch, along with Sillyworld and special guest host Will Taylor bringing you live coverage of the 6 Hours of Melbourne, proudly sponsored by Gryphon Gear. See you next week as the excitement of the 2015 Automation Motorsport World Endurance Championship continues.
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Phew, that was a really close one, those tyres were pretty much bald by the end! Big props to the drivers for nursing the car home, that was too close to call as to whether to pit for tyres or just leave them be.

(The next few images were drawn by Cen, but Cen is currently in bed, so I'm posting them.)

"With the race just run, we're now crossing live to the paddock where we've a reporter with the final driver of the winning car, Kai Kristensen."

"Aaaaaaand back to the studio!"

Let's, er, chalk that one down to the sheer relief of actually winning the race. We'd like to thank racer13 and sillyworld for the huge amount of effort that went into covering this race, and see you next time!

Hannah's gonna beat everybody with a spanner later, I'm sure of it

Also here is the updated summary of standings, in approximate order of standings in the season. Once again, a lot of movers and shakers here, with even a single incident making the difference between more than ten places.

AMWECresults.png
AMWECresults.png (48.64 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
<<

Racer13

250 Superkart on the way

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Strop, that's beautiful. I am in full support of what just happened.

PS, I was kind of disappointed that we didnt get any comments from Znopresk/Gryphon Gear during this race, I would have likely some commentary from the beasts behind the current king of all he surveys. Did that make sense? I don't know. I'm tired. Words, I say them sometimes.
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Apologies, I was actually away during what I assumed was the hours of the contest (aside from going to bed at 6am, that was my bad).

I would have fleshed out that comment about the final hour in particular, but was actually AFK and couldn't post much at the time. All the images posted in this thread were actually prepared beforehand in the assumption that the ZGG team would win <_<
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions