FAQ  •  Login

Hoon Competition (1994) [Top Three Reviews Posted]

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:50 am

Re: Hoon Competition (1994) [11-4 Rankings Posted]

(on iPhone on the train, so no detailed replies yet, sorry)

koolkei wrote:i was about to say
"wow my car is neither the least or the most in anything. i guess it's just an average car for the average tuner with average wages, and with average expectation"

then i see this.... whats the average weight compared to mine?

I will have to check when I get home (I will probably add a Weight column to the spreadsheet, at which point statistics will be easy), but I believe you were 50+ kg lighter than the next lightest car and ~300 kg lighter than the heaviest car.
<<

Packbat

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 am

Sorry, correction: the Cavaro Fox is almost 95 kg lighter than the next heavier entry. The average weight is about 935 kg.

Lordred wrote:# of valves

The OHV engines have 2 valves/cylinder, and the V6 in the Solo Loon XS has 3 valves/cylinder. The rest have 4 valves/cylinder.

thecarlover wrote:How about the loudest car? I know it's a trade-off for comfort, but loud exhausts seem to be a staple for this kind of car.

• Exhaust Noise - Quietest: Baltazar Quark 1.6 EX. Loudest: Solo Loon XS.

koolkei wrote:also.... if the car name are allowed to be abbriveated... isnt my car's name the shortest? KM-CF? of just CF/CFo?

Nope. KM Cavaro Fox, sure, but speaking as a hypothetical car reviewer, "Cavaro Fox" doesn't invite abbreviation to me. Official mod ruling. :ugeek:

Sebesseg wrote:I’m a little shocked to see it had the most prestige, I’m going to guess it was the fact it was mostly aluminum that caused that? I can’t think of what else in it might have led to that; I’ll have to check.

Glued aluminium chassis, hand-male aluminium panels, and mid-engine layout are all intrinsic prestige boosts. You also had the highest top speed by a significant margin.

Quarter mile I suspected, but not by a wide margin though I’ll chalk that up to the “gotta go fast” mentality I had in mind.

You can also credit the mid-engined layout - that seemed to be a noticeable boost to straight-line acceleration in my pre-competition testing.

Cargo volume...just get creative there should be plenty of room under the hood up front.

You had about 350 L; average was around 500 L. Might not have been smallest in a larger competition (one of the test cars I built had no cargo space at all), but it was in this one. ;)

Tied for biggest tire difference is interesting (I think, I don't remember the measurements exactly).

175/60 R16 front, 215/50 R16 rear. Mine was 175/65 R15 front, 215/50 R15 rear. But you had Sport Compound and I had Hard Long Life Road. :P
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:36 am

Did I at least get cheapest car?
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:49 am

It seems then that my car was the best car. Not the best hooning machine, just the best ecobox, designed to take people from A to B. So it does what it was meant to do.
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:15 pm

Wait, what!? Did I seriously top-three a car challenge? I must be dreaming.
<<

Packbat

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:47 pm

nialloftara wrote:Did I at least get cheapest car?

Indeed you did - no other car was under $10k, and while the Baltazar Quark 1.6 EX was slightly cheaper in running costs, when you include the 15% purchase price the Centauri Commune Neutrino FX is cheapest to own by a goodly margin. (Solo Loon XS is most expensive by a slightly smaller margin.)

Madrias wrote:Wait, what!? Did I seriously top-three a car challenge? I must be dreaming.

Congratulations!

(That reminds me ... I need to actually write the reviews... :?)
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Huzza, I won something.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Leonardo9613 wrote:It seems then that my car was the best car. Not the best hooning machine, just the best ecobox, designed to take people from A to B. So it does what it was meant to do.

Sure, you can say you submitted the best car to quite a few other competitions too, in that case, if you submitted the same eco box to a supercar, hypercar, or whatever comparison :P
<<

Sebesseg

Cars: '15 Charger Rallye

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Packbat wrote:Glued aluminium chassis, hand-male aluminium panels, and mid-engine layout are all intrinsic prestige boosts. You also had the highest top speed by a significant margin.

Yup, figures. I didn't think about the mid-engine layout being a boon, but it makes sense. The fact it also produced a faster car straight line car also makes sense. Like I said, "gotta go fast" was my mentality. It seems I have accomplished my mission, though it clearly cost me in the other areas.

You had about 350 L; average was around 500 L. Might not have been smallest in a larger competition (one of the test cars I built had no cargo space at all), but it was in this one. ;)

Yeah the original car I built had about 800 and the second had 1300, but I didn't like latter for and the former was fine, but I wanted to go fast. Do you (or anyone for that matter) know if the game calculates cargo volume based purely on the trunk space/rear compartment or if it does include front compartment as well? I'd imagine there'd be some room up front. As I was initially joking about finding space, but I'm now curious.

But you had Sport Compound and I had Hard Long Life Road.

Gotta Go Fast :lol:
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Wow, loudest and most wheelspin... ricers everywhere have a new plaything :lol:
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Sebesseg wrote:Do you (or anyone for that matter) know if the game calculates cargo volume based purely on the trunk space/rear compartment or if it does include front compartment as well? I'd imagine there'd be some room up front. As I was initially joking about finding space, but I'm now curious.

It depends on the area as defined by the 'boxes' in the body. Currently these zones are defined independently when making the body. Implementation of changes
are forthcoming: the spaces will be altered by the morphs too... This includes engine bay space too.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:58 pm

strop wrote:
Sebesseg wrote:Do you (or anyone for that matter) know if the game calculates cargo volume based purely on the trunk space/rear compartment or if it does include front compartment as well? I'd imagine there'd be some room up front. As I was initially joking about finding space, but I'm now curious.

It depends on the area as defined by the 'boxes' in the body. Currently these zones are defined independently when making the body. Implementation of changes
are forthcoming: the spaces will be altered by the morphs too... This includes engine bay space too.

Oh thank you, Beelzebub! :twisted:
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:39 pm

I know right, can't wait to shoehorn a multi turbo 11L v12 into a coupé, Carmageddon style lolol.

(This does require the new engine integration etc first if I understand correctly.)
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:50 pm

ohohohoho do i smell some drag competition coming?

also.... 95 kg lighter..... and i didnt even tried to make it light... i could make it lighter quite a bit more.

namely, changing to SOHC engine
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Vw Golf 3 TDI

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:59 am

Packbat wrote:Weight - Lightest (by a wide margin): Komodo Motors Cavaro Fox. Heaviest: AMW Rooster.

Wait, 1092.6kg is the heaviest car here? Wow... I guess it must have something to do with the fact I'm using a 4.8L cast iron V8 xD
Also, being last place is not really unexpected to me because AMW normally builds high-quality, well-engineered cars like scalpels. This challenge, however, required something as simple and as blunt as a sledgehammer. So while I did try my best, I'm not surprised that I came last.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions