<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Re: PTT Pro Touring Tour

It was resurrected by popular demand. Try to keep up! :P

(We're just posting cars while waiting for more refined rules to come out.)
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:42 pm

strop wrote:As in, because we're not in tycoon mode, there's no telling the other logistical and financial factors that would impact how many units you'd buy or sell, so it's a matter of creating a car that is competitive in any segment on the market grid and extrapolating from there.

Also the grid can be misleading: it definitely doesn't tell you what your car is, but rather, if somebody were looking at cars designated x, how likely are they to look and buy your car instead? The competitor cars were all built by beta testers and the devs to have a bit of a range, but the weightings and budget are ultimately a bit arbitrary.

If you find there's a serious mismatch with the definitions and the parameters in the market do say something, because there might be a case to tweak the model.

Well, for example, KoolKei (nothing personal) built a small hatch with a 1.1L V6 and it calls it a strong ponycar (bright green) in 1975, which I guess it could be except the definition of a pony car should be a small, somewhat economical muscle car aimed at young, entry level consumers. An example demographic would be 18-25 just out of high school or college with a bit of money to spend, but not enough for a Cutlass 442 (a real muscle car), so they would purchase a Ford Mustang (which is where the term "pony car" comes from to begin with. I don't know what Euro car would qualify as a muscle car or a pony car, because these really are American classifications. I'm a GM gal, so bear with me on my examples.

Camaro, Firebird, Mustang.....pony car. Small(ish) cars with larger motors on the performance end, with economy motors for base models. Camaro started with a 250 (or 232) I6 and went up to 396 (and rare 427) big block V8s. (427/428/429 for Fords) This all changed drastically after the 70s oil crisis, but still...

Chevelle, Cutlass, Tempest (arguably the original "muscle car") are all muscle cars. Big cars (mid-sized really) with big motors and some high-end creature comforts. These are almost exclusively V8 cars ranging from 283 up to455 cubic inches.

I say all of this, but we all remember in the CTC competitions, definitions of hot hatch and supercar were terribly unpredictable. Still, a 1250kg (2800 lb) car with a 5.3L V8 and 300+ hp would certainly be my idea of a pony car. It's too small for a muscle car as they were typically closer to 4000 lbs. A 2500 lb hatchback with a V6 and 65hp would definitely not be a pony car. In fact, it wouldn't even be a Mustang II!!!!
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:46 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:Does that say Total Costs: $16k?

Yeah you caught me *optional features shown.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:37 am

07CobaltGirl wrote:Well, for example, KoolKei (nothing personal) built a small hatch with a 1.1L V6 and it calls it a strong ponycar (bright green) in 1975, which I guess it could be except the definition of a pony car should be a small, somewhat economical muscle car aimed at young, entry level consumers. An example demographic would be 18-25 just out of high school or college with a bit of money to spend, but not enough for a Cutlass 442 (a real muscle car), so they would purchase a Ford Mustang (which is where the term "pony car" comes from to begin with. I don't know what Euro car would qualify as a muscle car or a pony car, because these really are American classifications. I'm a GM gal, so bear with me on my examples.

I did a couple of experimental builds and my impression from this is that the problem with making the American pony car according to the Automation grid definitions is budget. It takes a fair amount of dosh to get an engine good enough to put out 300hp (300Nm of torque, no problem). Even pushing 180hp and after all other typical choices are made, the affordability of my car in the pony segment is about 50% (in Gasmea, which doesn't bode well for the others). That's what's killing the score pretty hard. Somehow, each other the other 34 competitors in that segment for what would become quite a broad definition (look at just how many factors play a role!) reach quite a good balance of all of those other factors for a better price.

What I do know is that so far there's ongoing scrutiny over the effect of 'wheelspin' on drivability calculations. Gearing first very tall will artificially improve the drivability due to lower wheelspin penalty, which may inflate scores. Likewise, sub-optimal brake choices will punish you very hard due to brake fade, so I suspect most of the other issue for your cars would be the drivability stat, which remains the most important.

Incidentally my 186hp 'pony' car did manage to be quite competitive as a pony car, but ended up qualifying as a class topping 'Muscle' car in Fruinia. I choose to interpret this as: them Fruinians wanted a muscle car, but they generally couldn't afford this, so this was the closest they were willing to get!
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 am

how many aspiring entries do we have?
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 am

Manche wrote:how many aspiring entries do we have?

Riso submitted one at the beginning, along with Madrias and Nialloftara. Riso's was an "I would have submitted this. The other two have submitted more recent entries. Nialloftara's newer entry looks like it goes over the $12k limit. It's hard to count while submitting this post, but it looks like 9 or 10?

Manche wrote:
Fmu Cacique Mk1 - Coupe-1.png
Might as well present the car that Sebastian Machado the Third will be driving, a car designed by his old man the moment Grandpa passed away.

The FMU Cacique Mk1 was the first attempt at "playing with the big boys" by Fmu and either in sedan or coupe form, is a classic car that made it all the way to the early 90s coming with different engines along the way, the key to its sucess was the performance and comfort unheard of from many of the local offerings, thanks to the hydropneumatic suspension and the 4.7 (or optional 5.5) liter V8

Madrias wrote:The Storm Captain was one of Gasmea's best sellers in 1974. The best selling of the Captain line was the V6 LE, pairing a V6 with the rather practical 4-seater coupe.

It's kinda the jack of all trades. Designed to be a little fun, a bit practical, a car for the average family, with an engine that didn't guzzle gasoline. There were a few more engine options than just the V6, but the V6 sold the most. Something to do with "the V8 costs too much" and "The four-cylinder isn't fun enough."

The suspension is primitive, but it didn't have to be anything overly special back in the day. It was never meant to be a race car. Which is precisely why Luke of Storm Automotive needed to make one sporty enough to race it.

This is, of course, a Work in Progress while I work to make the car a little better where I can in Stock Trim.

nialloftara wrote:Okay, My 1966 Cyclone GT trim is set, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sell at least 1000 of them now. ;) here's a look at the developing modern Prostreet trim. I'm gonna keep my motor i think, that old engine can really rip with a good efi system, a 69mm turbo and 20+psi of boost.
2015-10-01_00002.jpg

Cyclone Pro Street.jpg

How should we be naming these and when do you want them by?

KLinardo wrote:Boss Motorsports is proud to present the Boss Bullet GT. What would be the inspiration for the Boss 499, this car was designed to be cheap and ready for tuning and modification. What's the draw to the buyers? Well that's Boss's flagship Boss 432 Big Block. We crammed all 500 HP into this lightweight car making it more than capable to own the racetrack. The suspension and aero of the GT version are left in a state that is completely free to tuning by the driver for track purposes, while still being a road-going vehicle. The interior is bare bones for the most lightweight and pure drive possible from the Bullet GT. Now, in 2015 we look forward to gutting our slimmed down Boss Bullet GT and beefing it up with modern goodies sourced from the Boss 499, while modernizing the Boss 432 Motor to make a truly monstrous blast from the past.

Madrias wrote:Finally settled on the look for my stock version of the car.

The Storm Captain V8 GT, mostly designed as a family cruiser, but the V8 does give it an ability to smoke the tires. Not really pushing a ton of power in stock form, but it doesn't have to. Yes, there's the typical "V8 power bulge" in the hood, but it's mostly just for looks. There's also a roof mounting for the radio antenna.

As for the paint, I thought the white was too harsh and blinding.

conan wrote:So here is the machine I sent in. The infamous VAN Speedwagon. I don't think this thing has a thousand twins running out there, it's really more like a hundred thousands. It has everything you need, from radio to catalytic converter. It even runs on 91 Octane! There's also a big loading space for many things to go in. All in all, I hope it does well.

strop wrote:Nah not even because then the 'rear' wheels would be steering and we all know just how stable that is LOL.

Okay, after some thought, I decided I would after all go ahead with the 'stupid output' idea, only this time I'm going full 'murica like I've never done before. Behold, the 663ci pushrod V8 with enough torque you could go mining with the rear wheels...

Yeah, that's a lot of torques... Without further ado, the Phaedra* Juggernaut Indy Edition!

Juggernaut - Indy-3.png

Why Juggernaut? Because it's huge and unstoppable and I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH! Why Indy? Because this thing is a drag king and paid homage to not just the muscle cars it sought to conquer, but also the greatest event on the US drag calendar. Think a 12 second quarter mile off the factory floor, and a top speed of a whopping 155mph, even with the special aggressive aero kit to keep the car lift free.

If the De Tomaso Pantera was American aesthetics combined with Italian engineering, this would be a Pantera aesthetic combined with real American muscle, except for the fact the build year is 1969 so the Pantera didn't yet exist, oops... well, it picks up plenty of styling cues from its contemporaries!

My main challenge will be somehow making this thing economical enough to adapt to the rigors of an actual gumball touring rally... I mean not even 10mpg in original trim... I can make it almost 17 with a really lean tune in 2015 but that's... still pretty bad...

* not a company line I plan to run, but a reference to a certain Interstate 76 brand...

07CobaltGirl wrote:So, I was getting some errors today and decided to delete some "car model 1/2/3/etc.", and it looks like I deleted the car I made for this. To be honest, after searching the thread, I can't find where I actually posted my old car, so nothing is actually lost, other than the car. So, I have made another hastily built car. It's a convertible "pony car" style American street racer. The body is set, but I might need to "dress it up" a bit more with lettering and such. I hope that is alright. Venting/cooling is set, tire widths are set. It's just a tad plain looking. It is a powerful, light-weight car, as a pony car should be. I have some difficulty understanding the 1000 twins part. How can we tell? I have not really looked into the new markets thing much, so I'm sure that is where I would find it. Any tips on this?

Are we supposed to send the files to you now, Manche?

koolkei wrote:dont left me out guys.

here's my legendary FTC.

the little fun sport budget car, that you could drive daily (wont be comfortable though). and still be very forgiving on the street, and on the track. all while still managing 11km/l+.

with a ridicolously small 1.06L V6 and front wheel drive that enables it to get that level of efficiency.

with a score of 80+ on almost every market it cater to.

this car would be the miata of the '70s

and im very proud of this one 8-) 8-)

even with 10-12% profit margin, it could still be highly competitive, while being very profitable :)

now my job is done for now. time to go to work irl. yes, it's sunday, im working anyway :(
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:46 pm

The Captain isn't what I'm going to drive. It's no fun knowing exactly what I can get out of the engine. I'll be running with the more recent car I showed, that rear engined wagon.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:45 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:

Riso submitted one at the beginning, along with Madrias and Nialloftara. Riso's was an "I would have submitted this. The other two have submitted more recent entries. Nialloftara's newer entry looks like it goes over the $12k limit. It's hard to count while submitting this post, but it looks like 9 or 10?

if you dont want to count. 9 people are quoted on his post
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:11 pm

koolkei wrote:
07CobaltGirl wrote:

if you dont want to count. 9 people are quoted on his post

Well, it was actually my post, not his. (I am a her, not a he) I could count afterwards, but not during. I was just answering the question he asked.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:16 am

I havent forgotten this I am trying to coma up witha system of rules that encourage diversity of cars and courses of action
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:26 am

That's okay, Manche. I'm fairly sure I know the car I'm gonna drive, but I remember from reading the BSLL thread that there were rules that encouraged trying weird things that may have not been entirely... advantageous to racing.

And no, I haven't even tried seeing what I can get out of that V6, even in other cars. I'm keeping completely blind on what that engine can do.

Very late edit: Actually, I'm not so sure of what I'm going to drive. I don't really want to drive the glitch wagon after a bit of consideration. Mostly because I see this as kinda part of Luke's origin story. To make a long story short, Luke's the kind of guy who sees a bunch of super cars on a race track and wants to race them in his truck. So for him to receive an invite to the Tour (the founder left him the entire business, after all, including unread emails) and have to go through quite a bit to get here, it doesn't seem right that he'd show up in a small station wagon when his mindset would be more along the idea of a big truck in a touring car race.

As for the character... Luke's not as crazy as Team BSLL was. Slightly obsessed with racing, enjoys having too much horsepower, and insists that he's capable of doing "just about anything" that a human can do, despite being metal, wires, and circuits. Things he'd enjoy would be doing burnouts, tweaking the fuel map on an EFI system, playing with carburettors and mechanical fuel injection, and getting covered in axle grease.

So as for the vehicle I think Luke will arrive in, I'm sorely tempted to do a 1950's era pickup truck, just because it seems more like his character to show up for a touring car race in a big, heavy steel pickup truck. As for engine... not quite sure just yet. Need to do a bit of research and figure out what the usual engine was for that era of truck.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:00 am

I havent forgot about this, its just my life beyon this forum is taking my time...
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions