<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:08 am

Re: PTT Pro Touring Tour

07CobaltGirl wrote:
strop wrote:I'll be sure to bring something ludicrously ludicrous!

We've seen your work before. It isn't ludicrously ludicrous if you do it more than once. You're going to top the previous "ludicrously ludicrous" scale? :D

a rear engine landbarge with either a Huge engine or an hyper revving monster
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Manche wrote:
07CobaltGirl wrote:

We've seen your work before. It isn't ludicrously ludicrous if you do it more than once. You're going to top the previous "ludicrously ludicrous" scale? :D

a rear engine landbarge with either a Huge engine or an hyper revving monster

LOL
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:17 pm

I'll just gave to go a different direction won't I! (Maybe I'll focus on torque instead of power... Rear engined... How about a Hyper Porsche... It'd probably have a drivability of -100...)
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:43 pm

I tried a rear engine car. Driveability was definitely VERY low. You'd think it would be stable like FF!
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Rear engine cars are fun to build, I think. Certainly low drivability, but I can kinda understand it. The whole pendulum effect, having all the weight in the back of the car. Lots of oversteer, but surprisingly easy to counter.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:26 pm

really fat rear tires is the way to compensate
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:23 pm

The thing about rear engined cars is that they're very stable when accelerating because no matter the driving wheels, they're all pulling the big weight at the back, but by that same virtue braking is horrendous because the back will do its darnedest to get to the front.

Now I wonder if I can make a rear-engined dragmobile to rival muscle cars...

Edit: can't find a body with enough room to cram a giant engine in the rear, so sad (but also kind of expected).

Maybe I'll just go for ludicrous amounts of torque as per the original plan lol.

Edit 2: yep, going to go full 'murica on this one. Have a premium muscle car from the heyday of Muscle with factory floor torque figures completely unheard of until the noughties!
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:14 am

The coupe body I used for BRC1955 will fit larger engines in the trunk. Not sure how large, but i managed a 5.0L quite easily back there.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:21 am

07CobaltGirl wrote:

newcomer on the game. expect the unexpected.

maybe ludicrous, stupid, ingenius, or maybe combination of those :P

07CobaltGirl wrote:I tried a rear engine car. Driveability was definitely VERY low. You'd think it would be stable like FF!

except driven backwards? ;D
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:35 am

Nah not even because then the 'rear' wheels would be steering and we all know just how stable that is LOL.

Okay, after some thought, I decided I would after all go ahead with the 'stupid output' idea, only this time I'm going full 'murica like I've never done before. Behold, the 663ci pushrod V8 with enough torque you could go mining with the rear wheels...

datorques.png
datorques.png (35.7 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

Yeah, that's a lot of torques... Without further ado, the Phaedra* Juggernaut Indy Edition!

Juggernaut - Indy-3.png
Juggernaut - Indy-3.png (644.12 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

Why Juggernaut? Because it's huge and unstoppable and I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH! Why Indy? Because this thing is a drag king and paid homage to not just the muscle cars it sought to conquer, but also the greatest event on the US drag calendar. Think a 12 second quarter mile off the factory floor, and a top speed of a whopping 155mph, even with the special aggressive aero kit to keep the car lift free.

Juggernaut - Indy-2.png
Juggernaut - Indy-2.png (595 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

If the De Tomaso Pantera was American aesthetics combined with Italian engineering, this would be a Pantera aesthetic combined with real American muscle, except for the fact the build year is 1969 so the Pantera didn't yet exist, oops... well, it picks up plenty of styling cues from its contemporaries!

My main challenge will be somehow making this thing economical enough to adapt to the rigors of an actual gumball touring rally... I mean not even 10mpg in original trim... I can make it almost 17 with a really lean tune in 2015 but that's... still pretty bad...

* not a company line I plan to run, but a reference to a certain Interstate 76 brand...
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:02 am

strop wrote:If the De Tomaso Pantera was American aesthetics combined with Italian engineering, this would be a Pantera aesthetic combined with real American muscle, except for the fact the build year is 1969 so the Pantera didn't yet exist, oops... well, it picks up plenty of styling cues from its contemporaries!

My main challenge will be somehow making this thing economical enough to adapt to the rigors of an actual gumball touring rally... I mean not even 10mpg in original trim... I can make it almost 17 with a really lean tune in 2015 but that's... still pretty bad...

* not a company line I plan to run, but a reference to a certain Interstate 76 brand...

Well, it is only a couple of years early, so it can be the Pantera prototype!!
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:20 am

Oh this will get fun! yet another reason to try a round 3!
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:39 am

I figured out how to make it stable! Means I have to keep a spare trim I'm not going to use, but I get an amusing design challenge out of it: Make stupid amounts of power out of a 2.2 liter V6. Why a V6 that size?

Storm Caster - Wagon-3.png
Storm Caster - Wagon-3.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 4235 times

Because it's all that will fit back here.

Storm Caster - Wagon-1.png
Storm Caster - Wagon-1.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4235 times

This is not a pretty car, but it's got it where it counts. Four seats. Comfortable interior. Power steering. 8-Track player in the dash. Not to mention it's a wagon with lots of enclosed cargo space in the back. Sure, there's an engine back there, nestled between the rear wheels, but still plenty of space. Plus, we put the spare tire in the nice enclosed space up front where the engine normally would go.

Storm Caster - Wagon-2.png
Storm Caster - Wagon-2.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4235 times

I'm thinking of running with it. Figured out how to make it work and now I really want to run a Rear-Engine, Rear-Wheel-Drive station wagon.

(Minor edit: The wagon doesn't actually have any cargo space. A minor bug as a result of me building what I wanted through trickery. Made a coupe in rear/rear, then a new trim as a wagon, even though the wagon doesn't support Rear/Rear. It works, though, so I'm gonna run with it as Automation's most unique station wagon. And unique should certainly be a hot seller, right?)
Last edited by Madrias on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:42 am

expectation grows! this is the kind of madness i was after!
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:40 pm

So, I was getting some errors today and decided to delete some "car model 1/2/3/etc.", and it looks like I deleted the car I made for this. To be honest, after searching the thread, I can't find where I actually posted my old car, so nothing is actually lost, other than the car. So, I have made another hastily built car. It's a convertible "pony car" style American street racer. The body is set, but I might need to "dress it up" a bit more with lettering and such. I hope that is alright. Venting/cooling is set, tire widths are set. It's just a tad plain looking. It is a powerful, light-weight car, as a pony car should be. I have some difficulty understanding the 1000 twins part. How can we tell? I have not really looked into the new markets thing much, so I'm sure that is where I would find it. Any tips on this?

Are we supposed to send the files to you now, Manche?
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions