FAQ  •  Login

W.H.A.L.E of an Order (Reviews)

<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:06 am

Re: W.H.A.L.E of an Order (Reviews)

I don't know about you, but I'd totally purchase a car just because it's shiny. We Need more Hammerhead Eagle I-Thrusts here in the States!

Shockingly, I never thought my car would be seen as sporty, but then again I bet BMW didn't see the E36 being the darling of stance culture either.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Because of the target audience of this event I wanted the reviews to be different. I hope you guys liked it.
ID: 1963886
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Honestly, you did better with these fictional cars than some people do with real life cars. I really liked how you stated your opinion and managed to work it in with the facts. Bravo! :D
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Great writing and great results! As I said to you already, the writing was very good, very well crafted. Only thing I didn't like was that my company was classified as small. In my mind, we are a very successful company in South America, Europe and China. We struggle with the american market, but maybe we just need to buy a purely american company.

About the results, my company was on the top five, but yet again I was beaten by someone. It seems I can only finish second on these things :)
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:38 pm

You say it like that, but I'm still struggling to get my cars to the level where I can even score a review :P
<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Great review! Loved it... and... WOW i am first :D For like the first time in a lot of competitions.

Thank you for hosting this challenge!
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Strop, I'm struggling to get my cars to the level where they're competitive. Now maybe, just maybe, I need to step back and adjust some core values I use, but at the same time, I've had fun.

And yeah, I'll admit, I had a grin on my face reading those reviews. Much better than real car reviews where being "politically correct" has taken precedence over "Tell it like it is." Was amusing seeing the top four get picked apart.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:29 am

In the future, would people like more of this kind of review structure.

How can I improve to keep you wanting more as I continue to host competitions.

Does anyone have any comments or complaints on restrictions I place. I wish to continue hosting events you find fun to enter.

Feedback is appreciated.
ID: 1963886
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:35 pm

I'm not sure how often you wanna do the niche "Not Racing" Category, but I quite enjoy it, and you seem to do it quite well, Maybe do Fleet Vehicles or something next time? :P
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:29 pm

I actually enjoyed making cars not explicitly designed for racing. Loved the very generous budget (I really have a hard time when the budget dips below 10k because I have to decide whether to degrade a core value of fuel efficiency or degrade the core value of safety to make the cut) and the rather simple restrictions.

The reviews were amusing to read and well written. I know it'd be more work, but I'd personally appreciate even just a one-line review for all cars as it'd help those of us who were out of our comfort zone find out why exactly our car didn't do too well. Obviously, keeping the top 5 as full review cars offers an incentive to do well as it makes for a good "prize" at the end of the challenge.

All up and accounted for, I found this challenge to be really fun and look forward to further challenges like this. Racing is fun and all, but I like challenges where there's more to it than building a race car that fits the requirements. Sure, I'd love to have had a lap time for all the cars around the Test Track, just to see if I could have been competitive speed-wise despite my significant horsepower disadvantage, but it's understandably not necessary. You covered the core values nicely, and made a challenge that was rather enjoyable to participate in, and one that allowed a wide variety of designs. Sure, the 'not-a-Crown-Vic' body saw a lot of action, but it was one of several good logical choices for the iconic "big American luxury sedan" design.

Effectively, if you make another challenge, I'll probably try to join in, as I use the challenges to hone my carmaking skill and find my true calling. I've learned Storm Automotive can't build dirt-cheap cars, and that we're not really cut out for high-end luxury. Perhaps in the next big challenge, I'll stumble into a market I do well in. Either way, I've had fun, and that's really what matters. I've been enjoying the fact that in these challenges, I get to see how my designs stack up against those from people who have been playing Automation far longer than I have. Seeing how my company, still being created (the name's there, I'm working on a character, and I'm trying to find my calling in car design), does when competing against companies who build extreme high-end luxury cars, sports cars that make hypercars look slow, and companies who know how to do low-budget incredibly well. In the end, I know at some point, I may have to make some hard decisions, ones that will shape how my company runs. Right now, I'm realizing that the "All engines have a turbo" rule and the "All-Wheel-Drive everything" rule are causing me more problems than they've solved. I've learned that 5 valves per cylinder DOHC is not always the instant best option. I've learned that DFI is horrifyingly expensive for what little you actually gain over MPFI. And I've learned that, if given the choice between SPFI and Four-Barrel Carb, take the fuel injection option, it's cheaper and works better.

So yeah, I've enjoyed the challenges and look forward for more. I learn from each one I do, and I learn just a little more about how my company will work and what we will end up making. So if you come up with another good challenge, well, I'll see what I can do, because maybe I'll find my winning design, and then I'll know that this is the type of vehicle I do well.
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:50 pm

You just gotta keep looking for what fits your style best mate. I used to design with cars like the Honda Prelude as inspiration. Even though my company is 'Murican, I'd have never thought if I made something like the Lincoln Town car, it would do well at all. But you never know until you try :D
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:58 am

Lordred wrote:In the future, would people like more of this kind of review structure.

How can I improve to keep you wanting more as I continue to host competitions.

Does anyone have any comments or complaints on restrictions I place. I wish to continue hosting events you find fun to enter.

Feedback is appreciated.

Now that I am back home I can reply. I have no real complaints about your challenges, I always have a lot of fun building my cars, I even handicap myself at times (old bodies etc) because in my world it would be cool :P Maybe a TINY bit longer "review" of the people who didnt win would be better IMO, two-three lines perhaps? I understand it can be tedious though with large numbers of entries. It can just be a bit underwhelming when you work on a car for a while (knowing that reaching the top would be hard to begin with) and only get a single sentence review. Basically just toss a few more scraps to those that didnt win so :D
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions