FAQ  •  Login

Kei Cars. From Production to Race day.

<<

chargie

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: K-car

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Kei Cars. From Production to Race day.

strop wrote:Impressive. Does seem like very few combinations actually work so good job finding it. Not sure if many people want to spend 3 hours getting a car together and OP hasn't actually responded to anything!

Thanks. I am used to build small cars with minimum cost, service cost and high mileage. So kinda know some tricks. Drivability can't use the default setting, need to retune the suspension, tyres and brake to boost from 34.x to 40.0 (by sacrificing sportiness). Same goes to mileage, gotta change camshaft setting, get the best match of compression ratio & ignition timing at 15.0 AFR and shaving weight off as much as possible. Yup, its a long process
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 pm

I've no problem with drivability and economy. The main issue I have is managing the safety. How did you manage that? The most cost-effective way of achieving this is a modern body with a car mass of about 900kg, so I end up using advanced -10 quality or something like that, as it is the most cost effective, but despite that, I have to make serious sacrifices to the engine to get the costs down to 5k. It's just... not fun and limits your choices to a very narrow range.
<<

chargie

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: K-car

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm using old chasis (cant find in 20 years), chasis setup as below:
monocoque, steel, front tranverse, mcpherson, torsion beam, steel, quality 0.

engine design:
Inline4 aluminium block, 54mm x 72mm, DOHC aluminium 4 valve per cyl, non VVL.
cast crank, cast conrod, cast piston
NA with multipoint EFI, exhaust long tubular 0.75", high-flow 3-way + 2 baffled
everything 0 quality.

Safety I'm using advanced quality -7. Well, I am lucky to find a chasis that can do 50.x score on the 2nd selection (1st choice cant get it). Gotta trial and error various chasis, as the safety base index can vary quite a lot. The one I am using is light and having good safety index baseline.
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions