FAQ  •  Login

Sell on Monday, Win on Sunday [Finished]

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Sell on Monday, Win on Sunday [Race Four - Dec 1st]

This was the worst race to miss! :(

Very strong end to the season, and congratulations to the winners!

(Incidentally, I mentioned this on stream but I'll mention this again here: people were talking about the relative power of the top three cars in the race, saying "power doesn't matter"? The PAW Murina GN race car has just under 204 hp. I have no idea why I thought that would be sufficient.)
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:46 am

Indeed, I would like to suggest my power deficit was part of why it struggled to overtake in a number of traffic jams. It only got in front of Martin's car because the BAM driver plowed off the track at Turn 5, and only stayed there because there's not much room to overtake (and my car was quite driveable so it was not prone to errors).

That said a lot of it was also due to lack of cornering, since I went with el cheapo suspension options because the VVT/VVL setup made my engine expensive.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:39 pm

dang... forgot the last night stream....... man....
so what was the result guys?
<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:24 am

Packbat wrote:Incidentally, I mentioned this on stream but I'll mention this again here: people were talking about the relative power of the top three cars in the race, saying "power doesn't matter"? The PAW Murina GN race car has just under 204 hp. I have no idea why I thought that would be sufficient.

Well it does not matter... the third place - pHanta - had 278hp. Thats 30-40hp less than the first and second place had, and from what i know a few others were around the 300hp mark. So does Power really matter then?
I had around 289hp, 255kph topspeed, 0-100 in 5.7s/80-120 in 2.5s and 1/4mile in 13.5@190 - performancewise its similar to the Top 3, but thats about it. They grip better, and are more driveable - its not performance that matters really ;) Sure the "low end" has issues, but thats on a whole different level in my opinion.
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:23 am

Sport version results

At last, I give you the results for the sporty trims of the hatchbacks. Sorry that it took me so long to put these out, but the end of last year was a mess for me and I had to focus on university if I were to not fail badly. However, time has made me lose interest in doing a full review of the five winners of this round. Maybe I didn't get round to them because I had planned quite a complex and literary review, in which the cars would go from the airfield test track all the way to the english midlands. Anyway, here are the results and a little bit of information on the winners that I had collected for review purposes.

Details on the top 5

Full results

The final results and standings will come shortly.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:58 am

Final Results

Here are the final results. The points assigned to each section follow the racing ponctuation, ie 1st gets 25 points, 2nd 22, and so on.

The results were mixed, with some very consistent cars reaching the top five, but the winner was someone who went all out on the racing version, while still making their normal road-going cars quite decent.
Congratulations for the winners, and, again, sorry for the delay.

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:19 am

Re: Sell on Monday, Win on Sunday [Finished]

Yay, results!

And thank you for a fun and interesting competition! I'd love to run or enter something similar in the future. :)
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Re: Sell on Monday, Win on Sunday [Finished]

That's ok, by this point the reviews come secondary to the result. I remember this being back when I was no good at making balanced cars due to generally overly expensive engineering choices, so I was super excited when I learnt that I made the top 5 for the sports cars. IIRC, my use of VVL in the Eco trim kind of ruined the price, hence the horrendous performance of the Eco trim relative to the other two trims, which cost me a few places :lol:

Well done though, on actually getting one of the more ambitious tournament projects on the board wrapped up. Like Packbat I'd like to see more in future.
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions