pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 am

Re: Regular Communist (1986) - Racing and Car Rating! [RACE

Time for the final Result!

The Soviet Statemen and Engineers gathered with all the cars in moscow. The race results were in and it was time to examine all cars. They had 3 favourites on their list. But before they looked at these, they looked at the Z220-EST again. They all thought its a great car, but with a pretty mediocre racing degree, its not really suited to be used by prolets on racing tracks or by the police on chases, even in a couple of years. While it was not a sporty car, the Z220 amazed as one of the most comfortable and desireable cars. They put it far up on their list in regards of car rating. As they have already looked at the PC86 extensly they went on to their personal favourites.

The rather slow Pinguin Wagon Turbo, the pretty fast Allegro and the average Desert Motors Firefox.
The Austing Allegro, one of the russians said he already heard that name, but he got thrown out of the conference room after metioning british engineering. The Austin showed amazing Track Performance, but was a rather average car compared to the Z220 or PC86. It was not too comfy and not so cheap. But it had above average safety and a very practical body design. It was although shocking when the soviets first saw it, they were blinded by the amount of headlamps and chrome, but under all of that they saw a good performer, with average stats.
Then they looked at the Desert Motors Firefox. In terms of comfort and safety it was even worse than the Austin, but it won in terms of costs and practicality. It was the cheapest to produce but also had a lot of rusted parts after just a couple of weeks. Although not as bad as the Vroom, which arrived with rusty panels on the first day, and the PolMot which already had small rust dots. The russians favoured this car, as it was cheap and still pretty fast... but then they revistied their last favourite.
They already said a lot of good things about the Pinguin, pretty good comfort, again one of the best, a very high safety standard (Second safest!), third most desireable car with a really nice design and a HUGE cargo bay. It had issues on the track with its performance, but in the end they decided that this car - the Pinguin Wagon Turbo - was the best car overall, while it had a not so good trackperformance, it showed a GREAT result for in the consumer ratings.
The car that came second is the Austin, which does it the other way around, good to great trackperformance and an not so good conusmer rating, it could've done better if it would be slightly more comfortable, but it did well enough for the russians to reach the second place.
And then comes the Desert Motors Firefox, which showed an average trackperformance and a good consumer rating, if it would've been just slightly faster or better, this would be the russians favourite car!

1st: Pingiun Wagon Turbo scoring 64,41
2nd: Znopresk-ASAZ Z220-Est scoring 64,00
3rd: PC86 scoring 62,19
4th: Desert Motors Firefox scoring 57,72
5th: SCM FATI K Deal scoring 57,65
6th: Farmsed Mark II RU scoring 57,52
7th: Sabre GT scoring 54,23
8th: Romanov Glasnost scoring 53,99
9th: Austin Allegro Group B CE scoring 53,16
10th: Camarada 4x4 scoring 50,44
11th: Belford Prolewagon scoring 50,29
12th: Strom Travill GL scoring 49,71
13th: Droog scoring 49,5
14th: FIL Perestroika scoring 47,96
15th: Bogliq Commisar scoring 45,84
16th: Tovarish Banalost scoring 43,01
17th: Mk7 RU scoring 34,03
18th: PolMot Futuro scoring 33,25
19th: Ljungan Public Safety scoring 22,89
20th: ZSD Vroom!! scoring 9,74

Hope you enjoyed this challenge, this end was a bit rushed, and i apologize for that. I go in vacation from tomorrow on, and did not want to let you all wait on the Results. It was a lot of work in terms of balancing, and I hope to make a similar challenge once again soon, maybe with BROBOT, maybe with something else. Post what you liked, what you disliked, if you have any suggestion or just general feedback!
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:39 am

Yay! A win for the Astana Pinguin. I did not expect this after all those horrible race results. It was definitely the consumer rating that won it for the Pinguin. Never made it a secret that racing was not going to be its strongest suit. Let's get all the vodka out of its huge trunk!

Also I would like to congratulate Leo and Blasters for their nice 2nd and 3rd positions! I guess Blaster's car the Desert Motors Firefox seems to have been the best all-round car. Getting about 1/2 the points from racing and consumer rating? The same goes also for Conan's car SCM FATI K Deal.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 am

Ah! What a shame, I got the balance wrong. Also, I need to stop -15 quality the safety, evidently, it does not pay off in these challenges, heh. (Safety? What's that? True safety is not crashing!)

But once again, scoring very close to NormanVauxhall, I consider that to be at least a good benchmark.

This was a unique challenge, a new take on how to mix consumer rating and speed. Of course, not knowing how to gauge the balance between the two made it all the trickier, and so there doesn't really appear to be too much bias in the spread of the scores one way or the other. What I would suggest in terms of scoring (and this is something I concluded upon my own experience, too) is a more linear points allocation for positions, which would mix up and even out the playing field even further.

Thanks for hosting, enjoy your holiday!
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:44 am

I loved this challenge!

Congrats to Tycon for the win and everyone else who participated!

I seem to be better at making cheap little cars than luxo barges :P
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:23 am

Re: Regular Communist (1986) - Racing and Car Rating! [FINAL

I am a little confused. What was used to calculate the Final Score in the Consumer Results? Some went higher than the weighted average, while others went lower for this calculation. I'm thinking it tossed the highest and lowest values and recalculated the same weighted values? Or did it simply toss out Performance and recalculate this value? Any insight?

Oh, and Pinguin was not 2nd highest safety. Sabre GT was. :P
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:16 pm

I actually enjoyed this challenge. I knew from the start that I wasn't going to win, I've still yet to figure out a winning design, or a strategy to figure out the best set of compromises. Still, 12th place in the Consumer rating isn't too bad, and 17th overall isn't last place, so that's good. I suppose the best part of it was the little segments of story Pyrlix added in, making it feel more like we were involved, rather than just reading the after race reports on who finished last. It's a nice little touch that made this challenge fun to participate in.

Now to wrap it up in character, and at the same time give him a reason to scream at his tech team once he manages to get home.

"17th place. Yet another market we couldn't get into. Too many compromises, and somewhere along the line, we sacrificed comfort and quality for speed." With a sigh, he resolutely threw the car in drive, thumped the steering wheel, and started to drive off. "Bad design, piss poor engineering, and too much effort trying to do good on the track. Wrecked the car overall and cost me the run. Took a perfectly average car, put too much effort in the motor, not enough effort in the consumer side of things. Not fast on the track at all, barely in the points. Consumers hate it because it's not as comfortable as the rest. All in all, another classic design from Storm Automotive." he grumbled, booting it hard to get out of the Moscow Auto Show. The engine groaned in protest, the transmission downshifted, and pieces littered the ground as the abused engine, already clattering from meeting the redline on the tracks, was finally pushed beyond the limits of the design. The transmission, having been trying to destroy the engine from day one, had finally succeeded, downshifting when it should have upshifted, pushing the engine far past the redline.

Stepping out of the car, and away from the growing pool of oil, he asked the remaining drivers, "Can someone call me a cab or drive me to the airport? I've got a few team members who need a solid beating with a torque wrench when I get back to the States. Specifically, the people who designed that transmission."
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Woohoo! My monstrosity came second! Probably the russian evaluators were blinded by the lights and wrote down the wrong numbers on their papers.

Considering that my barge has done well on Lordred's challenge too, I think that chrome is the way to go :P

EDIT:
07CobaltGirl wrote:I am a little confused. What was used to calculate the Final Score in the Consumer Results? Some went higher than the weighted average, while others went lower for this calculation. I'm thinking it tossed the highest and lowest values and recalculated the same weighted values? Or did it simply toss out Performance and recalculate this value? Any insight?

The formula was designed to have a money modifier, shall I say. It takes the average total cost and gives a bonus or a penalty depending if the car is above or below that. For example, a car that was 10% cheaper would have a bonus proportional to the money saved, but I don't know the relation that Pyrlix used for his challenge.
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 pm

Let me show you the stats of the Astana Pinguin

The turbo was fitted to give a bit extra power, but also to get some better fuel economy. It has standard interior with standard entertainment and a 5 gear manual transmission viscous LSD. It has a galvanized steel ladder chassis and uses a front transverse engine placement to save money on the gearbox. The body is made out of polymer (like the infamous Trabant) to save weight and cost, which allows one to fit better things elsewhere. In other words, soviet quality (and price) with some modern western technology ;).

0-100 km/h acceleration in this car is 9.3s and it has a top speed of only 174.7 km/h, which should be more than sufficient for everyday use. Quarter mile is reached in 17.22s with a speed of 135 km/h. Circle tests show 20m @ 1.08g and 250m @ 1.03g.
<<

JasonPoland

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:45 pm

PolMot has nothing to say about our yet another hopeless result. We are really considering closing our factory and leaving the business for ever.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:49 pm

I guess I can show my Crappy Clunker Capitalist Pig.

<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Nice design 07CobaltGirl. There is something really caught me in the front... don't know exactly what...
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks! Although it apparently wasn't good enough for those Ruskies. hahaha
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions