Best in Class Engines [I4, 1982] [REVIEWS]

<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Re: Best in Class Engines [I4, 1982] [RESULTS]

Woot woot!

LHEs Economy line from the X4-Modular motors scored very well in this test.
ID: 1963886
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:31 pm

300 hp out of less than 2 liters? In 1982? Impressive! (I really, really, really need to make that Hoon competition - there's clearly a massive demand for it.)

I wish there had been more entrants, but I'm really happy to win my category - looking forward to seeing the review! Hopefully this will bring in some extra revenue for Packbat Auto Works from selling the engines directly. (I'll go ahead and post the .lua files after the review for people who want to play with it.)

Just out of curiosity: would you mind calculating the scores for the winners in each of the other two categories? I'd love to see how well we hit our respective target markets.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Packbat wrote:300 hp out of less than 2 liters? In 1982? Impressive! (I really, really, really need to make that Hoon competition - there's clearly a massive demand for it.)

300 hp was just the cheap version of the engine, still more than 3000$ though.
But that is nothing, because After doing that engine, me, trackpaduser and Jakgoe tried to find the most power within these regulations. The result? Around 590 hp :D
<<

Packbat

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Heh - I was, in fact, thinking "Impressive for an engine that's meant to go in a consumer vehicle". :P
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Packbat wrote:Just out of curiosity: would you mind calculating the scores for the winners in each of the other two categories? I'd love to see how well we hit our respective target markets.

Mine is definitively going to be rubish in the other categories :D

I made the cheapest engine that I could with no negative quality, then I put a 4bbl and a 3-way cat so the fuel economy wasn't too horrible.

The result is a 65hp all cast-iron OHV 1.6L engine, with around 19.5% efficiency.

So while it is very cheap to buy and run, it isn't really a high performance engine at all.
<<

Packbat

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:21 pm

...I think part of me assumes that my engine cannot possibly be the sportiest, and is trying to prove it by importing competition from the other categories. :oops:
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Best in Class Engines [I4, 1982] [REVIEWS]

June 1982

At the Heart of the Matter
Best Inline-4’s of the Year

Small motors are becoming all the rage as of late. Once thought of as pre-war relics or odd power plants for niche cars and small imports, four cylinder motors have found their way into many mainstay models built on home turf. Spurred by competition going both ways, there has been significant innovation as of late.

For our 1982 Engine Showdown series, we scoured the planet for the very best 4-cylinder engines we could find. We didn’t want to get stuck on one flavor, either, so we chose models that represented different parts of the spectrum.

We’ll start with our middle-of-the-road selection. This 1825cc all-iron mill comes from Astana in the Netherlands. Its 16-valve DOHC configuration is pretty typical of European machines. One thing that is quite unusual, however, is its highly advanced, computer-controlled lean-burn carburetor. The mixture ratios obtained by Astana would make the Japanese blush. While this doesn’t sound like it makes for a thrilling ride, it does give bench efficiencies of almost 21%. Couple that with just shy of 97 horsepower, and the Astana Panther IN4 is a pretty slick machine.

It’s also a very reliable setup, with only the much-vaunted (and extremely expensive) Toyoko TC4 getting better marks on that front. Astana keeps the design simple, though, which helps keep cost down and engines rolling off the line. With the ability to make Panthers by the tens of thousands, Astana is poised to become a premier engine maker, at least in this category.

For the budget-minded, Canada’s Northern Motor Company offers up the Push-button 4R65. Coming in at 1603cc, NMC makes this a no-frills affair. The head and block are made of iron, and NMC uses cast components throughout the bottom end. 8 valves are actuated by pushrods. Similar to the Astana, the 4R65 uses a lean-burn carburetor, though the model they have chosen lacks the advanced control system. It’s not a barn burner of an engine; power output is a mere 62 horsepower. Yet without advanced technology or control systems, NMC still manages almost 20% bench efficiency.

Better yet, its design lends itself to reliability and easy maintenance. It also takes next to nothing for NMC to build, which should keep down overall costs. In a crowded field of economical engines, the NMC 4R65 definitely is a stand-out.

Finally, we’ve got an option for those who like the spicy side of life. While most manufacturers are playing with big turbos and aggressive cams on their high-performance fours, Packbat Auto Works of the USA is taking a more conservative approach. Yet the result isn’t disappointing. The 1798cc PAW Sprite LS motor is an all-iron 8v SOHC configuration. While the power numbers aren’t huge at 85.1 HP, there’s more than sufficient torque available throughout the entire RPM range.

Best of all, the Sprite LS is available on a couple light, inexpensive models from PAW. The fun factor that this motor brings to the table is quite nice, and it’s expected to last for many years. Of the three motors selected here, the Sprite is also the most reliable in testing.

No matter your preference, there’s something on the marketplace sure to fit the bill. Our recommendations are just so; we realize they may not be the best for every individual situation.
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Great, my first engine win. Thanks VicVictory for hosting this challenge. Too bad the number of participants was not that high.
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:19 pm

Maybe i should have sent in a "QGM16II 180EN1" I got stuck on the idea of making it even more powerful than the old Achernar PS engine, and made it guzzle gas like a maniac. Yup. It had around 113 hp.
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Beaten by pushrods... D: I wonder if my engine would have performed better in the balanced category.
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

8bs

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Nice challenge Vic Victory!

Do you plan to continue this challenge through the years?
<<

Chipskate

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None :'(

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:11 pm

So you're saying that putting MFI on an engine in the 'balanced' category wasn't a good idea? :oops:
Either way, I liked the challenge, and I hope you make more of these.
<<

Packbat

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:33 pm

VicVictory wrote:Finally, we’ve got an option for those who like the spicy side of life. While most manufacturers are playing with big turbos and aggressive cams on their high-performance fours, Packbat Auto Works of the USA is taking a more conservative approach. Yet the result isn’t disappointing. The 1798cc PAW Sprite LS motor is an all-iron 8v SOHC configuration. While the power numbers aren’t huge at 85.1 HP, there’s more than sufficient torque available throughout the entire RPM range.

Mruh? I thought the engine I sent in produced 150 HP.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 am

LOL how about that. You won with the wrong engine!

Looks like Armada's true to form: more horsepower for less reliability :lol:
<<

Packbat

Post Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:41 am

...apparently so! I could have sworn I sent in the turbo engine, but I checked the PM, and yeah - it's the NA engine instead. Geez.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions