FAQ  •  Login

Touch of Class [1978] [REVIEW POSTED]

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Wed May 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: Touch of Class [1978] [RESULTS]

Was it the five-speed manual? No wonder it had the lowest drivability!
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed May 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Again 6th. Was hoping to get a review this time. Still pretty stable though, at least my design skills are not bad. Perhaps the automatic gearbox would have pulled me into the top 5, then again turbos with automatic gearbox are a strange combi.
Last edited by Tycondero on Wed May 20, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Shaded009

Post Wed May 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Packbat wrote:Holy crap! Top five! This is amazing! :D

Edit: Also, congrats to Shaded009 - seventh place is incredible for a first contest entry!

Grats on the top 5 and thanks, I'm really surprised I did that well since I didn't really design it with too much luxury in mind.

Packbat wrote:Was it the five-speed manual? No wonder it had the lowest drivability!

I had a 5 speed manual in mine too I believe :P
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Wed May 20, 2015 6:30 pm

The Rigel is sexy indeed. :lol:
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

JasonPoland

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none

Post Wed May 20, 2015 7:09 pm

VicVictory wrote:Highest total cost was $263,985.80 for the PolMot. Basically he went nuts with +15 sliders (except tires)

I thought everyone will do that :P

And now in all seriousness - I had some issues with saving this one. Like I said earlier, I thought I saved and send a version with 199 HP where it appeared to be weaker. I think this is the time to quit everything and forget about car building, cause I can't car.
<<

JasonPoland

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none

Post Wed May 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Oh, and one more thing. This model was meant to be named Milion, but I'm that dumd that I even cannot spell correctly
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Wed May 20, 2015 8:12 pm

JasonPoland wrote:
VicVictory wrote:Highest total cost was $263,985.80 for the PolMot. Basically he went nuts with +15 sliders (except tires)

I thought everyone will do that :P

And now in all seriousness - I had some issues with saving this one. Like I said earlier, I thought I saved and send a version with 199 HP where it appeared to be weaker. I think this is the time to quit everything and forget about car building, cause I can't car.

Don't give up Jason, at least you gave it a go! Practice does make perfect eventually so stick to your guns and who knows, maybe a comp'll come along which is perfectly suited to your talents :D

Thanks Vic for another interesting competition and Congrats to whomever wins! :D :D :D
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Wed May 20, 2015 11:29 pm

This is what the Rigel looks like. I had to. Yes, i know, it's cheesy.

HUGE IMAGE WARNING:
78SeishidoRigelAd.png
78SeishidoRigelAd.png (865.7 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Thu May 21, 2015 12:03 am

Sexy Japanese cousin of the Feltram indeed.
<<

NiuYorqCiti

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Ford Ranger 3.0l TD & Chevrolet Agile 1.4l.

Post Thu May 21, 2015 4:36 am

I made it in the top 5! I'm so happy right now. :mrgreen:
Ponni Motors Corporation (POMOCO) owner.

Car Company ID: #1943998
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog/company/150
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Sat May 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Re: Touch of Class [1978] [REVIEW POSTED]

July 1978

Class Couped Up
Luxury Two-Door Showdown

For decades, the personal luxury coupe has been in fairly exclusive domain. Primarily owned by well-to-do couples, executives whose tastes shy away from pure sports cars, as well as retirees, this class of car has not changed much in more than thirty years. Well-appointed interiors, conservative styling, and little consideration to economy or behavior are the hallmarks of such coupes.

Until now, of course. Adaptation to change can be a necessity in any segment of the market. But what is the right form of evolution in this case, subtle or radical?

Well, the number of cars in this category manufactured throughout the world would not be considered “subtle.” We felt that such an expansive market deserved an even bigger test than our usual format allowed for. So buckle up and see what we’ve found.

Interestingly, despite the sheer number of cars we found in this class, the cream of the crop were almost all from North America. Three American models made the list, alongside one Canadian offering. Only one car from across the pond made it through the initial tests, and it hails from the United Kingdom.

Lightstar Terra 851P

Lightstar.jpg
Lightstar.jpg (68.24 KiB) Viewed 5040 times

Our British entry comes from Lightstar, and is a relative newcomer in this arena. We couldn’t help but notice some American styling cues up front, tied in to its long, swooping European body. A bit odd for us at first, but the styling grew on us after a while.

What didn’t require an adjustment of perspective was the engine. Under the hood is a lovely 5.1 liter all-iron V8 engine. Its twin-cam, 32-valve configuration may be a bit unusual, but the low rumble it puts out at idle is oh so familiar. Putting out exactly 200 horses (and a fair racket) at its 5400 RPM red line, this swaggering coupe just begs for modification. Lightstar may just have engineered it this way, seeing as how all internals but the crank are forged, and they had the foresight to put not one but two 4-barrel carbs on top.

The rest of the drivetrain is a bit of an odd duck. A 4-speed manual sends power to a viscous limited-slip rear end. Shifts are a bit of a chore, given the heavy clutch and long throw of the selector. Sizable vented disc brakes at all four corners provide stopping power, and include Lightstar’s highly-regarded in-house Antilock system. The Terra 851P also include a test-exclusive hydropneumatic suspension, which is quite technically advanced. All together, the ride is actually quite beautiful, despite the awkward transmission choice.

Inside, the Terra is a marvel of decadence and a slice of heaven. Both deluxe front bucket seats slide and tilt forward to give easy access to the sunken rear bench (split by the transmission hump). There is no pretext of sitting someone in the rear middle; there are a total of four belts, and the rear seats are also contoured to give maximum support and comfort to their passengers. All seating surfaces are double-stitched leather, available in three different colors. The standard equipment list is long, but includes air conditioning, cruise control, driver’s air bag, central power locking, power steering with tilt column, and a quadraphonic AM/FM stereo with equalizer. Both 8-track and cassette options are present as well. Power windows are also standard, including the quarter glass. The Terra also has an optional power sunroof, but our tester model was not equipped as such.

MSRP of the tested 851P trim is $9310, making it the most expensive model in this test.

NMC Jackal LS

NMC.jpg
NMC.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 5040 times

O Canada… NMC sent us a surprise in the Jackal LS. At first we thought that they had sent us the wrong model, but the compact, square hatchback was no laughing matter once we started playing around with it. Dozens of other competitors fell to it, landing the Jackal in our Final Five. Perhaps it’s the unique aluminum-paneled body, or some other combination of its packaging.

Yes, there’s a V8 under its miniscule hood. Displacing just 2142cc, it’s one of the smallest current production V8’s. But it puts out a respectable 114 horses thanks to a pair of small yet effective turbochargers feeding its twin four-barrel carbs. Upon startup it has an unmistakable, though muted, V8 burble. Wind up this aluminum twin-cam abomination, and there is considerable turbo whine. It may be the least powerful engine in the test, but it is the most exhilarating to listen to. We would advise against doing so all the time, however, given the internals are all cast.

Though NMC chose a 5-speed manual for the test model, we weren’t disappointed by the feel. The clutch has a very even, reasonable feel, and both the throw length and the shift gate spacing are good. Thanks to an open differential, it is very easy to do a very smoky, smelly one-legged burnout in the Jackal. Donuts are a piece of cake, though one of our interns almost lost control trying them. Vented discs up front and solid discs in the rear help bring the small hatchback to a stop. ABS is not available on this model, which may be an issue for more discerning buyers. The suspension is a fairly run-of-the-mill progressive setup, which didn’t stand out as either good or bad during testing.

Opening the doors you see the crowning jewel of NMC’s achievement with the Jackal. Ingress and egress to all four seating positions is a snap, and fine leather slathers the seats and door handles. Air conditioning, cruise control, driver air bag, power locks and front windows, and a tilt/telescoping wheel are all standard. Rear quarter windows open, but are a manual pop-out style. A quadraphonic stereo with 8-track, digital clock, and equalizer is also standard.

The NMC Jackal LS, as tested, retails for $6970, just a little below average for this test.
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat May 23, 2015 6:35 pm

PAW Jubatus PE

PAW.jpg
PAW.jpg (77.99 KiB) Viewed 5040 times

Our first American entry is from Packbat Auto Works, styled the Jubatus PE. A little more traditionally sized, the Jubatus is still a little controversial, as it is actually a fastback, not a traditional “coupe.” Other than the body configuration, it fits the bill to a tee.

2.5 liters of turbocharged aluminum twin-cam fury resides in front of the firewall, putting out a healthy 170 horsepower. Forged rods and hypereutectic pistons combine for a balance of reliability and low emissions, and its exhaust system keeps the motor’s rumblings from being intrusive.

A 3-speed automatic coupled with a viscous limited-slip rear may sound boring, but the execution is very smooth and surprisingly sporty on the Jubatus. 4 wheel antilock discs keep the “coupe” pointed straight under extreme braking, though the feel was decidedly squishy. Jubatus is the only car in its class with an air ride suspension. The overall package is quite sublime on the road.

There are four belts inside this liftback. We debated as to whether or not a fifth could have been accommodated, but in the end it was a moot point. Seating surfaces are of a vinylized leather variety. PAW includes a fairly extensive list of equipment for the PE trim. Air conditioning, power steering and front windows (fixed rear), cruise, tilt wheel, and performance gauge cluster are foremost on that list. The sound system is a 2-speaker stereo AM/FM with 8-track player and digital tuning. Notably, it is the only competitor without a standard driver-side airbag. When asked about other options for the new Jubatus, the PAW representative responded that they were still “analyzing the market.” What this means for future trims and iterations, we’re not quite sure.

As tested, the PAW Jubatus PE had an MRSP of $8549, which is the second highest.

Ponni Galleon V8 Luxe

ponni.jpg
ponni.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 5040 times

Next up is the Ponni Galleon V8 Luxe, which is a glorious homage to all-steel Detroit opulence. The very definition of a 2-door American luxo-barge, this little gem put a smile on our editor’s face quicker than anything else we threw at him.

323 cubic inches of American pushrod iron. That’s 5299 cubic centimeters for our metric-loving readers. That’s what Ponni put under the hood of this two-door Landau-style coupe. At 189 horses it’s not the most powerful, but its vulgar, throaty growl is the epitome of everything right and wrong about Americana. We don’t even care that Ponni kept costs down by only putting on a single carburetor or using cast internals. This is the kind of thing that gets our heart beating.

As expected for the class, the Galleon features a 3-speed auto with an open rear end. Yes, burnout fans, that means that you can easily choke your neighborhood with smoke. Oversized solid disc brakes are found at all corners. A progressive monotube suspension keeps the interior relatively isolated from road imperfections, though common big-barge wallowing in corners is to be expected from Ponni’s offering.

Inside, some may find it a bit lackluster compared to the others on the block. It is, however, the only manufacture to have minimized the driveshaft tunnel, and offer a fifth seatbelt in the rear center. The doors are very long, and an automatic tilt/slide mechanism of the front seat allows easy entry and exit. Seat trim is leatherette, and door panels are clad in decidedly cheap (for the class) corduroy. That still doesn’t keep Ponni from adding power front windows, power steering with tilt column, power door locks, driver air bag, and fixed opera windows with illumination and vent treatments. An analog clock, though outmoded, is standard and very precise, especially in the event of battery interruption. The stereo has 2 speakers molded into the doors, and carries AM/FM and 8-track capabilities, as well as digital tuning and presets.

All this is included for the MSRP of $5520, making the Ponni the least expensive offering in this test.

Rado MiniLuxo TP-C

rado.jpg
rado.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 5040 times

Our last American offering seems so un-American. It’s a revolutionary little beast produced in Colorado, a place known more for skiing and pioneer history than automotive manufacturing. Still, the Rado MiniLuxo TP-C proved to be too tempting to pass up for this test.

Who would have thought that a personal luxury coupe, once the status symbol of moneyed retirees and bankers, would be powered by a 1.6 liter turbocharged iron 4-banger? It’s possibly the new reality of the class, at least if Rado has anything to say about it. Intake happens through the aforementioned turbo, DCOE side-draft carburetor, and 16-valve DOHC configuration. Turbo lag is pretty noticeable, but the tiny mill beats NMC’s V8 by putting out 131 horsepower. Forged internals are a necessity for a setup like this, and Rado provides.

Again, we find a 5-speed manual transmission mated to a motor. This one has a fairly notchy shifter an long-ish throws, but the clutch is very light and responsive, and the engagement point is very easy to find. Its rear end is open, allowing for some spinning of the wheels. Solid discs are found all around, but notably absent is the presence of any antilock system. The suspension is a progressive monotube setup, and Rado’s components have proven to be well-designed in the past.

Looking at the outside of Rado’s petite coupe, you wouldn’t expect to find full leather trim at all four seating positions, nor power windows with automatic roll-down on the driver’s side. You also wouldn’t necessarily expect air conditioning, driver’s air bag, or a standard power sunroof with bug deflector, but those are all present. Rado even includes a quadraphonic AM/FM 8-track player, though tuning is achieved through analog methods, and presets are limited to 5 mechanically-saved settings. Also, because of its size, the MiniLuxo is a bit on the cramped size, with rear legroom being a particular weakness.

The test TP-C trim of the Rado MiniLuxo comes in at an MSRP of $5719.
Last edited by VicVictory on Sun May 24, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat May 23, 2015 6:36 pm

The Tests

Because of the number of competitors involved, this time around we will give you a simple top-to-bottom ranking with our quick impressions.

On The Inside

Fifth: Rado MiniLuxo. Leather seating and air conditioning can’t make up for its lack of legroom.
Fourth: PAW Jubatus. In all honesty, we would like to have seen it have a fifth seat belt to compete with the Ponni. A little extra rear head room, but a compromise on “coupe” styling kept it just barely below the Galleon.
Third: Ponni Galleon. All things being relative, it’s cheap. That’s not to say it’s bad, but it’s not up to snuff with its competitors.
Second: NMC Jackal. Loaded to the gills, but just a little on the small side for our tastes.
First: Lightstar Terra. Glory hallelujah, all our design prayers have been answered in one stroke of a pen.

Nuts and Bolts

Fifth: NMC Jackal. We believe that a V8 should be a big, strong ox, not a tiny nasal bee. Coupled with a manual transmission in a luxury category, this just left us wanting more. 9.8 second 0-100km/h.
Fourth: Rado MiniLuxo. Again, the manual transmission was a shortcoming. Also the least powerful. Early tests of Rado’s engine show it to be the least reliable of the bunch. 9.9 second 0-100km/h.
Third: Lightstar Terra. Really the only Achilles heel is its clunky transmission. We felt that an automatic would have made this quite possibly the top pick, mechanically. 9.4 second 0-100km/h.
Second: PAW Jubatus. This was a tough call, but it came down to questions about the reliability of the turbo and the air suspension. 8.9 second 0-100 km/h.
First: Ponni Galleon. Simple, brilliant, and exhilarating. What more could we ask? 9.9 second 0-100 km/h.

Road Manners

Fifth: NMC Jackal. Quite a bit of lag here, yet the ability to oversteer quite easily. It wasn’t terribly smooth in our city road tests, either.
Fourth: Rado MiniLuxo. With the turbo lag and lack of LSD in the rear, aggravated by its short wheelbase, the Rado didn’t perform as well as we’d like on the road tests. Its upside: Extremely easy parking.
Third: Ponni Galleon. Yeah, it’s a bit of a firebreathing, wallowing beast. But it behaves in a very predictable way.
Second: PAW Jubatus. The air suspension went a very long way in correcting its behavioral issues. Overall it kept the driver and passengers well isolated, even through the more strenuous tests.
First: Lightstar Terra. This might be what driving a cloud feels like. Seriously. It was almost disturbing.

Safety

Fifth: PAW Jubatus. No driver air bag. ABS should help the driver avoid a collision, and it has decent mass, but overall availability of safety features is the worst in the test.
Fourth: Ponni Galleon. No ABS means control in emergency situations may be compromised. It has a driver’s air bag, but timing seemed a bit off in testing.
Third: NMC Jackal. Again, lacking ABS. Also, its aluminum body panels are a bit suspect as far as rigidity. Deployment of the air bag was more precise, however.
Second: Rado MiniLuxo. Its tiny size is compensated for by precise computer control of its air bag and fuel cutoff systems.
First: Lightstar Terra. Big, heavy, and with advanced antilock brakes and a well-designed air bag.

Down To Business

Fifth: NMC Jackal. While it’s reasonably comfortable, it’s also the one that doesn’t lend itself to flexibility, and projects only a very modest image.
Fourth: Ponni Galleon. When referring to the exterior styling and the engine, it’s everything that is traditionally thought of as a personal luxury coupe. The luxury bit on the inside falls down a bit when compared to others.
Third: Rado MiniLuxo. This has the exact opposite problem of the Ponni. While bearing upscale accoutrements on the inside, its motor and physique might be considered laughable.
Second: Lightstar Terra. Absolutely exquisite on the inside. Somewhat confused on styling, and not the most versatile coupe out there.
First: PAW Jubatus. Balance is the key to the Jubatus’s victory in this category. Good at many different things, but not excelling in any one.

Cost To Own

Fifth: Lightstar Terra. The most expensive to purchase outright, as well as the highest maintenance costs. Reliability is decent, and at 23 MPG combined it’s not a backbreaker at the pump.
Fourth: PAW Jubatus. Only a little less expensive to acquire and maintain than the Lighstar, and only the barest bit more thrifty at the pump at 23.4 MPG.
Third: Ponni Galleon. Looks can be a bit deceiving. The low sticker price and relative availability of parts belies the fact that the Ponni drinks a lot more fuel (19.5 MPG). It is projected, however, to be the most reliable of the group.
Second: NMC Jackal. Despite a relatively modest acquisition cost and superb fuel economy (39.7 MPG), the Jackal is alarmingly expensive to maintain.
First: Rado MiniLuxo. Easy on the wallet as far as a “luxury” car goes, the Rado can keep driving past fuel stations with its 27.7 MPG combined rating and low maintenance costs. Despite its motor, overall reliability is acceptable.

Overall

Fifth: NMC Jackal LS. Maybe someday the world will be looking for an affordable high-luxury car that gets amazing fuel economy figures. Even post-oil crisis, that’s just not the world that we live in. The Jackal is just too small and bland to rise any higher.

Fourth: PAW Jubatus PE. While it’s one of the hot-rods of the group, it does fall to a common hot-rod trap: lack of mindfulness to safety. With everyone else in this test offering air bags as standard equipment, having to “research the market” further could just be a fatal delay that gives buyers pause, rather than driving them to the dealership.

Third: Ponni Galleon V8 Luxe. It’s good to see a tried-and-true Detroit steel design this high up on the list. It’s hard to point out where Ponni could have improved themselves. High-end luxury isn’t quite their market, so to see them come up with a more refined interior might have been a stretch too far. Overall, we think this model will be a strong seller in the segment.

Second: Lightstar Terra 851P. We haven’t seen the British invade our shores like this since 1812. This time we think it will stick, but people will love it this time around. Why make war when you can drown the world out with Vivaldi, while being cradled in a finely tailed interior? Cost be damned, of course.

First: Rado MiniLuxo TP-C. Certainly the embodiment, quite literally, of every word in “Personal Luxury.” It combines the smallest engine with the smallest footprint, yet also pays attention to the smallest details inside. The only reason it’s not as comfortable as other class competitors is legroom. But given all of its other wonderful features, we believe that can be forgiven. Just take a step back and look at the whole package, not just the petite exterior.
Last edited by VicVictory on Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat May 23, 2015 6:38 pm

(Side notes: MSRP's were all devised using the same formula and converted to 1978 US Dollars. I realize that the UK and Britain are not necessarily the same thing. This is to reflect the lack of political correctness in the era that this publication was "submitted". No offense intended, Elouda)

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Sat May 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Number of seats is a boost to practicality, right? I guess I should have looked at how much that number changed switching between 4 and 5. Definitely lacking market research.

Still, fourth place overall, and number one in the down-to-business category!
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions