The BRC is dead... [NEW CHALLENGE DISCUSSION]

<<

Der Bayer

15-Star Beta Tester
15-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Seat Ibiza 6L 1.4

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:48 am

Re: The BRC is dead... [NEW CHALLENGE DISCUSSION]

Packbat wrote:Does the game automatically recognize when the car has enough fuel to complete the race?

Yes, in training sessions the fuel consumption per lap is estimated and so the driver knows when he must pit and how much fuel he must have filled in.

Packbat wrote:If so, can we configure how large a safety margin to take on fuel? (e.g. 10%, 5 kg, 5% + 2 kg...)

Safety margins are automatically calculated depending on the fuel consumption per lap. If the fuel is not enough for 2 more laps, the driver will pit.

Packbat wrote:If not: can we configure the driver to take a particular weight of fuel at a pit stop, rather than refilling to 50 kg? (This way, in a shorter sprint race, the driver could start with a full fuel load and take a faster pit stop because they have less refueling to do.)

Cars will have a maximum fuel amount (tank size) and you can specify how often and when you want to pit. The required fuel is calculated automatically then. If you would need more fuel than fits in the tank the driver will make an unplanned pit stop.

Packbat wrote:Related to the above: in a fuel-only pit stop, is the time spent in the box longer based on how much fuel is needed?

Yes.

Packbat wrote:Can I set up the car to take fuel before the planned pit stop if the driver is already pitting in? One way I could see doing this:
  • Set up planned pit stops as pit windows.
  • If driver pits during the window for repairs or tyres, driver refuels.
  • If driver reaches the end of the window without having already refueled, the driver pits in for fuel.

Yes, if the driver is pitting withing x% race time/laps (can be set by you) before a planned pit stop, the planned pit stop is cancelled.

Packbat wrote:Is there a pit-lane speed limit?

Yes, currently set to 60 kph. The driver almost follows that limit (mostly driving 63), some tweaking is needed.

Packbat wrote:Do different cars have separate boxes?

Yes, randomly calculated at the start of the race/weekend.

Packbat wrote:Now that we have a pit lane, can we have races with a pace lap and a flying start after the pace car pits in?

Should be possible, but I have not tried that out yet.

Packbat wrote:Can we have specified delays at the start - e.g. a 5-second penalty at the start for a car that exceeded the cost limit of the competition?

Possible, but it still is unfair to let a car start which is not built according to the rules. I prefer DQs.
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:12 am

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response and the detailed answers. :D

Der Bayer wrote:
Packbat wrote:Can we have specified delays at the start - e.g. a 5-second penalty at the start for a car that exceeded the cost limit of the competition?

Possible, but it still is unfair to let a car start which is not built according to the rules. I prefer DQs.

Sure, that's fair. There are RL races with penalty systems like that (e.g. ChumpCar, which penalizes laps at race end), but it's probably hard enough to balance that it's not worthwhile to implement. :)

Also, one more question: is the size of the fuel tanks just a fixed number, set before the race for all cars?
<<

Der Bayer

15-Star Beta Tester
15-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:16 am

Currently yes, but I see that this is probably not the best solution. Maybe fuel tank size could be scaled with vehicle weight. I'm open for other ideas.
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:23 am

I'd actually be fine with that - fuel tank size sounds like something that might be specified within a racong class. If not, I'd probably have the players specify fuel tank size before the season starts, with perhaps some restrictions set by the event organizer.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:12 am

This is looking fantastic, Martin!!! I can't wait for the first race under the new system to see it in action!
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Oh, another quick thought:
Der Bayer wrote:Safety margins are automatically calculated depending on the fuel consumption per lap. If the fuel is not enough for 2 more laps, the driver will pit.

There should probably be some margin where, if the driver is coming around for the last lap of the race, they'll stay out even if they don't have enough fuel for 2 full laps. I know if I had 1.5 laps of fuel left I wouldn't pit in.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Me either! *runs out of fuel 10m from finish line*
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Hey, you had enough momentum to roll it across! :P
<<

Der Bayer

15-Star Beta Tester
15-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Packbat wrote:Oh, another quick thought:
Der Bayer wrote:Safety margins are automatically calculated depending on the fuel consumption per lap. If the fuel is not enough for 2 more laps, the driver will pit.

There should probably be some margin where, if the driver is coming around for the last lap of the race, they'll stay out even if they don't have enough fuel for 2 full laps. I know if I had 1.5 laps of fuel left I wouldn't pit in.

Yeah of course, if the race is almost over nobody will go to the pits. :)
<<

Packbat

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:36 am

Heh - now I'm thinking of scenarios in which I would. Like if I had an accident that holed my fuel tank and was leaking gasoline. I don't think those will come up, though. :P
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:58 am

Packbat wrote:Heh - now I'm thinking of scenarios in which I would. Like if I had an accident that holed my fuel tank and was leaking gasoline. I don't think those will come up, though. :P

IRL, when your car starts leaking fluids, you are very fast removed from the track. Safety reasons.
<<

Packbat

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:02 am

Right, of course. :)
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:10 am

Unless the fuel is leaking inside the car..... but how many laps do you think you make, beeing a genuine petrolhead? :D
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:11 am

Der Bayer wrote:Currently yes, but I see that this is probably not the best solution. Maybe fuel tank size could be scaled with vehicle weight. I'm open for other ideas.

i was thinking to add 1 more category. the engine fuel consumption itself

i.e:
-light car
-small and light engine
-but consumes more fuel in favor of responsiveness
Vs
-heavier car
-bigger engine
-but is pushed to lower the fuel consumption for it's size

these 2 cars might have similiar size fuel tank, which means similiar weight in fuel

then again. you could either push a F1 or MotoGP fuel rules.

F1 has a limit of the fuel allowed to be consumed by the engine per lap
MotoGP basicly limits the total amount of fuel on an entire race (20lt iirc)

both which might be easier to implement, but means lowering the amount of differentiation of the cars people will build.
also considering the open beta, which makes the engine a lot more prone to overheating. might make the overall race SSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW (due to drag)

and a question
you said track humidity. will humidity affect the overall engine performance?
and will the track temperature effect the cooling?
<<

Der Bayer

15-Star Beta Tester
15-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:32 am

With humidity I meant water on the track surface. No effects on the engine, just on grip.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions