<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:02 am

Survey Results

Oh lordy, you guys xD

It's now (close enough to) the end of the (working) week, and the survey has garnered 25 responses, i.e. as many as or just more than the number of people who were directly involved in the making. At this point I feel that it's time to show you what the real feedback was. Some of it was actually surprising to me:

One person was honest enough to respond that they don't like stories at all, so sorry about the unexpected story to that specific person. Otherwise, the vast majority of responses were overwhelmingly positive.

The majority of you are actually ready to write something, so for those of you who are I'll be sure to have some clear guidelines in place to keep things running smoothly. But for the significant proportion of you that aren't, fear not, I'll structure the application process such that you can nominate the level of control you want over your character, or even not to bother having a character, in which case, you'll sail through the races with no involvement in the story at all.

This is the conundrum question. It's an almost perfectly even split between nut jobs and more sensible people. Also for those of you who thought an aerial battle, gun fights, grenades, hand-to-hand deathmatches and a hundred cops chasing cars around Nordschleife was not crazy enough, what the hell do you want, Dragonball Z!? IN THE LAST EPISODE: KAAAAAAAAMEEEEE HAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEE oh shit, time for the next episode. IN THE NEXT EPISODE: oh shit Goku, that guy you were fighting blew up the whole universe, now how are we gonna find the Dragon Balls!?

HighOctaneLove does have a point though, the unique thing about BSLL is that it has the krazy dial turned up to 11. For that reason, I think the best way forward is to offer some flexibility in the storylines not afforded to most characters in this installment (I kind of bundled them all into the same scenario). You'll have a choice as to whether or not to get involved in certain things, and I know for a fact some of you are going to want to more actively drive certain storylines, so I feel there'll be branching subplots. BEWARE: if those subplots get in the way of your ability to make the next race, that WILL affect your classification, so choose wisely.

Well, it looks like I might not have to create a separate thread, so long as I keep things clearly delineated!

Alright, 8 races it is.

The system is going to be revamped anyway, more on that later, but at this stage, it'll be mostly geared towards racing with some room to move in the rankings depending on the craziness of your ride. It looks like many of you don't want somebody to run off with most of the stage wins anyway, so I anticipate a much tighter contest this time around! However, under no circumstances did I want anybody winning all three classifications, so keep that in mind.

The only clear consensus was "just fine", so same rules again, with a couple of adjustments for body types etc.

Finally, to address all the suggestions:

Car categories

I did think about this multiple times, and the final answer would be, given the results of this one, and the way I plan to score the next round, this won't be necessary. Consider that the top five this time was an AWD estate wagon, a RWD coupe, a RWD MR, an AWD coupe, and an AWD hatch. There's heaps of variety and they all perform differently with different setups, and it's difficult to make a classification that would really work out. I welcome variety, and expect hybrids and frankencars anyway.

Points for best looking car (best looking by comunity vote or only by the racers)

Hmm. I wouldn't mind putting the cars to a community vote, sure (maybe this will help prevent such horrendous styling faux-pas as we saw in some of the entries this time around :P ), but I don't want that to have anything to do with how the cars perform in the tournament itself. It's not about a fashion parade, it's about trying to harness entirely too much power on roads that are frequently unsuitable for such things.
I dunno because I didn't participate, but maybe keep some safety requirement.

The safety requirement was minimal, and more of a "technicality". I didn't want to unfairly penalise older builds, so I left it as a selection and not a stat. I expect it will remain this way.

Points for driver(as in how crazy they are or how cool and calm they are)]

The madness scale WILL be making a formal comeback, as it will be part of the application process for those who submit a character to guide me into what plot choices they're going to make, or have available to them. This will not directly affect scoring in the tournament.

Madness points for very small cars? I have a vehicle meeting the first BSLL's restrictions...based on trackpad's small offroader body

Well kubby, I don't know exactly how the car would stack up, but let's just say that I also built a K car with 1:1 power:weight ratio as a prelim test and it's well capable of spanking most of the existing BSLL contenders around the more technical tracks. Also keeping in mind my Peapod underperformed due to putting in an Unreasonably Large Turbo on it (for max power), instead of going with the original 1:1 power:weight ratio... suffice to say the small cars have real potential, though they lose out bigtime on the top speed tests. I'll do some balancing testing to see whether a small car bonus need be applied, but I suspect not to be honest. Not in that way, anyway.

Make the story short as it was in the beginning! :) If too much to read, people will skip it, except the racing bits...THAT was awsome, but i still don't know who the hell is Kai!! lol :) Man, but still GREAT work.

The racing bits will DEFINITELY remain punchy like in the beginning. Those of you who didn't like the Nordschleife bit as much, tended to like the first three rounds. Not a problem, that's how it was going to be. All the crazy story stuff that blew the word count out? That'll be the optional extra behind-the-scenes.

Also, god damn, how could you not figure out who Kai was? I'm pretty sure we explained.... or did I forget to... Kai's Gryphon Gear's test and racing driver.

Also boost points for Bonneville.

In the likelihood that there will be another super long straight track......... I'm honestly not sure. It looks as if people are more interested in trying to eke out the most track performance out of overpowered cars and I'm inclined to encourage that instead.

Vos here. Seriously, no nukes? WTF Bro?

NO NUKES. Unless you want me to pull you out of the races and get your ass hauled into a dark room never to be seen again. Especially you, Vos, if you decide to come back from the dead :P

As I already suggested, driver aids should be based on the max number available for the max year being used in the races, not for the year of the car. Just because 1986 only had 3 aids available shouldn't mean a driver is penalized. I know it gets made up for in the chassis year scoring, but it should be more balanced on its own.

During beta testing, I went back and examined how the driving aids affected tameness, sportiness, and the times on the track. Some aids are actually worth more than others, so, given I'll be switching to a multiplier performance index like system, this is something that will become a LOT more refined.

Alright then, the survey is still open but the trends were pretty clear. Once I've got enough clear space on my calendar (like I said, not until the middle of the year), I'll be laying some proper groundwork for this. Expect some new content too, including new legendary real-life tracks and roads, an evolved scoring system which follows the basic spirit of the original, and more crazy cars!
<<

VosNox

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1983 Chevy S10 2.8

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:46 am

Re: Barely Street Legal League [SURVEY ON PAGE 70]

Fine... How about a suitcase bomb? Nothing big. Maybe the blast-radius of a scud?

First Gen / Second Gen / Next Gen
Current holder the Automation land speed record @ 447.9 MPH
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:10 am

I'm probably going insane trying to make the X90 go even faster, i made:

an RWD variant, insane go:slow ratio but insanely untame (Strop, i know you'd love this one, but it goes from 0-100 in the high fours)
a Turbo variant... with a 4 gear automatic transmission, not optimal, but crazy as fook and still faster than the original around... 70% of tracks (Enry would probably refuse driving it though.)
a 2001 fitted with a 1400hp motor and a 5 gear automatic, sloooow. (even worse.)
and..... the fastest of them all, the regular X90, but fine-tuned maniacally and with a grille stole from an 80's overpowered prototype (boring?)

I'm tempted to try out the K-Car for a serious attempt... the Group C somehow can't have enough cornering g's, no matter what the downforce.
Or should i continue to go crazy on the good old Daihatsu?

BTW, i'm writing my epilogue story, going to post in a day or two
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:25 am

I will probably have a sportier k-car by the time BSLL 2 happens.

It should be lighter and more aero.

But if you want to fit a completely stupid engine in the truck and use that, go for it :lol:.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:55 am

Hear that cobaltgirl, maybe your next car will be a ls7 cappuccino.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Or maybe not! Maybe my next car will be a home-grown (heavily modified) ZX53GT! hahaha
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:58 pm

nialloftara wrote:Hear that cobaltgirl, maybe your next car will be a ls7 cappuccino.

That made me ROFL.

Reminds me of the time I was playing someone else's copy of Forza (coz I don't own consoles), and blew a million credits taking an Elise, engine swapped it for the Evora, then proceeded to boost the utter crap out of it. End result: 580hp, 840kg MR pocket rocket. Too bad it was... Virtually undriveable. Couldn't launch, couldn't turn, couldn't stop. My friend was not impressed.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:33 pm

strop wrote:
nialloftara wrote:Hear that cobaltgirl, maybe your next car will be a ls7 cappuccino.

That made me ROFL.

Reminds me of the time I was playing someone else's copy of Forza (coz I don't own consoles), and blew a million credits taking an Elise, engine swapped it for the Evora, then proceeded to boost the utter crap out of it. End result: 580hp, 840kg MR pocket rocket. Too bad it was... Virtually undriveable. Couldn't launch, couldn't turn, couldn't stop. My friend was not impressed.

Decided to try it in Forza 4 and I have seen worst.

The car spins out if you look at the accelerator wrong in 1st and 2nd, and it's incredibly twitchy, but it is perfectly driveable.

The smart boosted to 250hp though, that's the definition of undriveable.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:38 pm

With a lot of tuning you can get it to be pretty quick yes, I managed sub 8 minutes around Nordschleife after several tries (also I suck at controllers so), but it felt completely unstable, like it threatened to turn into an airborne missile at any given moment. By contrast my friend then took the Mines R34GT and spanked the Elise but good.

Gotta try that boosted smart, lol! If my friend will let me, that is :lol:
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm really anxious for this to happen again. Bring it! :)
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:47 pm

me being new here. can some tell me the TL;DR of what happened at this challenge?'

im not about to read 73 pages
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Uhh. Hard to summarise but I guess it's fair given the while thing is an actual entire novel worth of content :shock: (95000 words no joke). Most would recommend you just read it but if not I'll write something when I get home.

It is not possible to host another BSLL until latter half of next year as I explained on my company thread, but at this rate we may have to hold a shakedown lol
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:04 pm

From having read all of the story a few times, I can summarize it, but it'll be incredibly rough and missing pieces.

Basically, it started out as cars with either 1000 HP or 1 horsepower per 1 kilogram (obviously, more horsepower was the way most of the racers went). Somewhere along the line, some roleplay started between the races due to the highly-story-driven plot. Part of the way into the challenge, a plot twist was generated that introduced two super-cops with a grudge against the racers. At the end of the story, the last race, a run around Green Hell, was turned into a free-for-all because of the super-cops and the actions of one character's retaliation. This free-for-all ended up damaging or destroying most of the cars, turned into a brawl toward the end, and ended up being a pretty good read overall.

As strop said, you're better off reading it, but that gets you enough information to decide if you want to knuckle down and try reading it. Think of what I wrote as just a bit more than the bit of text giving a glimpse of the story on the back of a DVD.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:07 pm

^okay. might to that if i feel like it :P

strop wrote:Uhh. Hard to summarise but I guess it's fair given the while thing is an actual entire novel worth of content :shock: (95000 words no joke). Most would recommend you just read it but if not I'll write something when I get home.

It is not possible to host another BSLL until latter half of next year as I explained on my company thread, but at this rate we may have to hold a shakedown lol

link?
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:56 pm

You should really just read it. Yes, it is 60 some-odd pages of story, but it is certainly worth the time for entertainment value. If you like car insanity, this is the read for you. In a field of some twenty cars, the overall winner was a fucking grocery getter!! (at least in some part due to the overall insanity of most of the cars)
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions