FAQ  •  Login

Barely Street Legal League [SURVEY ON PAGE 70]

<<

Spitfire599

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A 1999 Honda Civic Sedan named Flapjack.

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:52 am

Re: Barely Street Legal League [SURVEY ON PAGE 70]

Mitch walked over to his computer and sat down. It had been a long, hard day at school, and he spent so much time on his computer to take his mind off of the sub-par grades he was getting. At about this time last year, he had heard of an event called the Barely Street Legal League, and wanted to race in it too, but that was 2014, when he didn't even have his driver's permit, let alone license. Now, in a few months, he'd be ready to race!

Now, Mitch wasn't some ordinary teenage car nerd. Ordinary teenage car nerds weren't able to find out about the BSLL. No, Mitch was the son of the current CEO of Helix Performance, Spitfire Motor Company's in-house tuner as well as high performance supercar builder. So naturally, when he found out that there would be a second BSLL in mid 2016, he jumped at the opportunity, mostly because Helix had already built a car just for the occasion. Mitch got up from his PC and strode to the garage, where the four-wheeled monster was waiting. He turned on the lights, and smiled mischievously. The competition won't stand a chance!
Name of Car Company: Spitfire Motor Company
Owner of company: Spitfire599
Website or Forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8680 and viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8968
Established: 1948
Company ID: 1948599
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None right now.

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:43 pm

( I wanna RP too! )

Although his high school grades were faltering to a "mere" 85 as an ace student, Evan knew that the car life was withing reach. He'd always dreamed of being a car designer or an engineer, although he was sure that the second was better. His father may disapprove slightly, but, he knew that an overseas trip to study abroad could help his son learn. What his father didn't know, however, was that Evan was saving quite a lot of money. Thanks to multiple weekend jobs as well as many connections, such as being best friends with the daughter of Evan Rennen, Samantha Rennen, Evan had saved up quite a lot of money.

It was a risky challenge; being 18, in his Senior year of High School, he had much more freedom. Was he sure he wanted to do this? The BSLL isn't child's play; it was dangerous, adrenaline-filled, and injuries were common. Although he has been a car guy for ages, and the fact that him and Samantha would often get together to work on a car, he was very nervous. Being an unknown talent of driving, he's practiced at local autocross events with his 2004 Honda Accord, dominating them all for his class. He's got money saved up for the trip. Samantha would be able to provide a car, as their friendship really was unbreakable and completely trustworthy (and because of the Rennen's deep pockets); his surplus money could let him tune it. Evan's decided on his final choice; he would be racing in the BSLL.
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
Rennen. Perfection in Performance.™
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:29 pm

Uh oh, it looks like we have a lot of young guns getting psyched by the rumours!

(I wonder how people will react once the full details of the BSLL2 for next year are released... before then, though, stay tuned for something sooner than that!)
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:33 pm

You know there will be at least a few of us who will go completely batshit crazy. ;)
<<

Spitfire599

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm not one to completely go "batshit crazy," but I'd say my creation is. It's the most brown thing one can imagine (while somehow not being a piece of shit) and has a drivability of exactly zero. BRING IT ON!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Website or Forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8680 and viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8968
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Perhaps you should look into the previous entries with Drivability=0 and rethink your position. hahaha I should know. Mine went down the Haruna Downhill with exactly the same score. ;)
<<

Spitfire599

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Not necessarily. With my "undrivable" car, I compared its Airfield track time against the other cars in the league, and minus Strop's benchmark cars, it would be in second place (!).
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:01 pm

BROBOT has changed a couple of things... most of all the times. Second place now is quite likely to be a lot further down the leaderboards in the old builds.

While it is possible to get down Haruna on a drivability of 0. It will however be terrifying and your driver will poke around the hairpins at about the same pace as a Daihatsu Move :lol:

This said, this all depends on just why your car has a driveability of 0. My 500km/h ultra fuck-off boosted Mercury has a super laggy turbo with a late spool, naturally, to yield somewhere in the realm of 2200hp. It'll definitely go around corners, provided you don't turn the driving aids off, and have a feather-light throttle foot. Having modded a few cars in Assetto Corsa to model its acceleration and handling, I can very much attest that going from 500 to 2200Nm of torque in less than 1000rpm is very difficult to control without aids!

That said, if your car was undriveable like Kristina's E30 LS2 was because the dynamics were completely shit, then nothing can save you :P

P.S. It seems that turning driving aids on/off in the new system no longer makes a difference to your track times, which means that the new simulations pretty much wring the absolute theoretical maximum out of your car assuming perfect control. I'm glad I discovered this sooner rather than later! That'll be something we need to somehow take into account.
<<

Spitfire599

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:04 pm

I can see your logic, but when I added a few driving aids they made my car slightly slower around a track... Is that something I'll have to live with or can something be done about it?
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Was it the power steering that made the car slower? That adds weight.

EDIT: Actually, changing driving aids does change the times, and it depends on the relative change to your drivability score. When the drivability score is close to or at 0, then that's when changing the driving aids does not matter, because it no longer has an impact on your car's performance. This has been true for many builds, in fact, it's something I exploited to make a car get around Green Hell faster than Stephen Bellof's record :lol: (back when it was possible to have cars with 200+ sportiness and 100 wings).
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:11 pm

strop wrote:BROBOT has changed a couple of things... most of all the times. Second place now is quite likely to be a lot further down the leaderboards in the old builds.

While it is possible to get down Haruna on a drivability of 0. It will however be terrifying and your driver will poke around the hairpins at about the same pace as a Daihatsu Move :lol:

This said, this all depends on just why your car has a driveability of 0. My 500km/h ultra fuck-off boosted Mercury has a super laggy turbo with a late spool, naturally, to yield somewhere in the realm of 2200hp. It'll definitely go around corners, provided you don't turn the driving aids off, and have a feather-light throttle foot. Having modded a few cars in Assetto Corsa to model its acceleration and handling, I can very much attest that going from 500 to 2200Nm of torque in less than 1000rpm is very difficult to control without aids!

That said, if your car was undriveable like Kristina's E30 LS2 was because the dynamics were completely shit, then nothing can save you :P

P.S. It seems that turning driving aids on/off in the new system no longer makes a difference to your track times, which means that the new simulations pretty much wring the absolute theoretical maximum out of your car assuming perfect control. I'm glad I discovered this sooner rather than later! That'll be something we need to somehow take into account.

*cough* LS7 twin turbo *cough* on 185 tires wasn't it?
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Well, the rears were 245s but seriously LOL, 1240hp on 245s was just like 8bs's 700 on 165s :lol:

Also sorry, LS2 would have been truly ancient.

I've just left a question on the new build feedback thread. I'm curious to see what we can do with this, even on top of all the work done on recalculating the simulation thus far.
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions