2016 MRCSR Time Trial Series

<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:47 am

Re: 2016 MRCSR Time Trial Series [ACCEPTING ENTRIES]

TauSigmaNova wrote:Managed to fix it. Hope Bassix accepts it.

IDX Automotive TTX [Time Trial eXperimental]

I'm pretty sure you have used some mods made by vmo, which aren't accepted as per the rules.

EDIT: Forgot to send the images of the still-in-development, Baltazar Ekranoplan RS8

<<

TauSigmaNova

Cars: I'm a teenager in NYC, you think I have a car?

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:05 am

I don't know which of my mods are made by whom - I just know I have a whole bunch loaded.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 am

@tausigmanova: it's the rear diffuser, that's a vmo mod. Apart from not knowing which headlight you used, everything else is legit.

A lot of not-MX5, not S2000 bodies here. Interesting, have I missed something? Quite possibly in the tyre limitations... Time to have a play!
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:19 pm

Was about to say, Strop, that I'm seeing a large number of mid-engine sports coupes and a lot of small sports coupes/roadsters. I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who felt brave and decided to use something that isn't mid-engined or tiny.

Of course, I'm not saying anyone's wrong in their choice to avoid the old body styles, just that I'm seeing a lot of the same body styles.

Still, I'm hoping the old body holds up well enough to be a nasty surprise. Or I'll be content with my usual place, warming the spot up in the back of the field. Whatever will happen shall happen, and with any luck, we'll all have fun.

Though I am glad to see a few hot hatches in the pictures so far. Glad to see some others taking up the brave move to say "Sports car? Nah. Super-Turbo-hatchback." I know the Envy isn't exactly a hot hatch, but it's my favorite of the vanilla body designs, and I've wanted to enter a variant of the Envy in a challenge for a little while now. Granted, I thoroughly expect it'll get stomped pretty hard. Made a few compromises in design I don't normally do. But if it does well, they may become standard.
<<

TauSigmaNova

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Madrias wrote:Was about to say, Strop, that I'm seeing a large number of mid-engine sports coupes and a lot of small sports coupes/roadsters. I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who felt brave and decided to use something that isn't mid-engined or tiny.

Of course, I'm not saying anyone's wrong in their choice to avoid the old body styles, just that I'm seeing a lot of the same body styles.

Still, I'm hoping the old body holds up well enough to be a nasty surprise. Or I'll be content with my usual place, warming the spot up in the back of the field. Whatever will happen shall happen, and with any luck, we'll all have fun.

Though I am glad to see a few hot hatches in the pictures so far. Glad to see some others taking up the brave move to say "Sports car? Nah. Super-Turbo-hatchback." I know the Envy isn't exactly a hot hatch, but it's my favorite of the vanilla body designs, and I've wanted to enter a variant of the Envy in a challenge for a little while now. Granted, I thoroughly expect it'll get stomped pretty hard. Made a few compromises in design I don't normally do. But if it does well, they may become standard.

I usually like to go front-engined sports coupe because IMO it's the best looking shape out there, though I also considered the F40/Enzo body shape. I know Mid-engine is supposed to be better balanced for racing IRL so I went for that for this competition, and used the smaller of the two MP4-12 shaped bodies because 'muh powerrrrr to weight rayysheeo'
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:42 pm

I went with the Mini MP4-12c body as well, you'd think the power to weight ratio on my car would be great, but I have to say, from the competition so far, my car has it's work cut out for it! I originally had carbon fiber everything, but then I decided I could make the car better by going Aluminum body and making up the difference with parts. My car makes quite a bit less than 500 Horsepower because I decided to go NA (Because 'Murica) and weighs a bit less than a Porsche Cayman.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:55 pm

I'll wait for entries to close before telling you the most cost effective material selection for this challenge ;)
<<

TauSigmaNova

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Haha, I was gonna go with a really small, really turbo'd I4 for this challenge originally, because it'd be lighter and probably cheaper. Had it ALL worked for 499 horsepower which was fine with me, but I realized that the torque it was making was........ *makes fart noises with mouth*

Oh yeah, this was my third car design for the competition. The two original were with F40 bodies but the first one didn't save properly and the second had LUA glitches upon loading the file, but the third turned out faster than both. Regardless, the design for number 3 was done very quickly and was fairly uninspired. That said, the front looks like a fish... and the back looks really nice.

E: Rushing the design of the third build is why I went with a premade diffuser - I usually make my own.
<<

Madrias

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:45 pm

I went with a turbo'd I4. It's actually not entirely terrible, though the, um, torque curve does tend to look a little terrifying.

As for most cost-effective material, I likely know what it is, probably didn't use it, and yet believe I picked the right choice in materials to make my car light and fast.
<<

TauSigmaNova

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Since I'm not using it, i don't mind showing it.... The original engine I had planned to use. Thank god I didn't. It's actually even more expensive than the one I DID use, even though it makes less power, torque, everything. It just saves on weight. Sure, turbo 4 might be lightweight... but it's not the best solution, IMO.

In fact, this engine is worse than the final in nearly every stat. Whoddathunk.

Edit!! : As far as materials go, I'm interested to see if anyone else used the same combination as me. I think I hit the weight right on target.

Edit 2: I'm really really worried that my car might actually be greatly outclassed. On the other hand, there's a possibility it might smoke everyone. Not knowing your enemy makes it scarier.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Holy crap TauSigmaNova, that turbo's a bit late on the boost.

A 499hp i4 with decent powerband is possible, but yes, in general, at displacements of 2L and under, it does require a fair bit of boost and a fair bit of aggressive AR ratio, which in turn reduces driveability. You'll want to pay particular attention to the compressor:turbine ratio to get as long as possible on the boost from before halfway up the rev range.

499hpi4.png
499hpi4.png (831.57 KiB) Viewed 4199 times

Here's a quick (unoptimised) example of something that might be used, which represents similar reliability and total costs.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:54 am

Another possible 2 Liter - Four as an idea (not what I am using)
ID: 1963886
<<

Madrias

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 am

I can confirm that Strop's and Lordred's power curves look much more as one would expect from a turbo I4. I can also confirm that I'm feeling mildly outclassed. However, I built it this way and I will run it this way, no revisions. I would be rather surprised, however, if someone were able to knock my engine's reliability stat off the high end of the chart.
<<

TauSigmaNova

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:03 am

Eitherway, I sacrifice the 30 or so kilos for a crap ton of extra torque and drivability.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:56 am

If you saw my engine post you know I agree with that :)
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions