FAQ  •  Login

The Car Shopping Round (Round 9)

<<

Horus

Cars: A whole drawer of old hotwheels

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: The Car Shopping Round (Round 7)

Whoa Asdren, these are quite thorough. Worth the wait in my opinion, well done!
<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:26 am

Asdren, I have a question. How the hell did I get third? :lol:

I am really surprised! I thought my car was not very good but it seems I did okay! :) Congrats to storm automotive!

I wonder if I should have entered the Gyro R-Spec...
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:34 am

Err speedemon, the reviews aren't done yet. That's just the order in which asdren's reviewing them :P

I must say, the standard and attention to details of the reviews has been very well maintained. Everybody's putting in a great effort on these, and the rounds are also proceeding in a fairly timely fashion. Keep up the good effort everyone!
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:04 am

Added three reviews, i think about five are remaining, but life is calling and have to leave them for tomorrow :(

CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

Horus

Cars: A whole drawer of old hotwheels

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:53 am

I might have overcooked this one a little.

asdren wrote:V does not like the looks of the Heliodor. She said it's the type of car you would see immature guys revving at stop lights.

Hard to disagree with her on this one, I must say. Though it wouldn't be a smart thing to do, since throwing it into corners is a far better use of this car than racing between lights.
<<

rcracer11m

Cars: oldsmobile alero

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:14 pm

I think my power goal for this car was far too high considering the power numbers of the other cars. I shouldve reduced the fuel mixture and made the turbo a bit smaller to improve the practicallity of the engine. Either way i did manage a very good specific output of 160hp/l from my 200hp 1.25l
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:47 pm

koolkei wrote:how much does fuel matter?

if i pick 91 over 95, would you consider it more?

no answer
and then i read this
which is not bad, but a missed opportunity, since the lowest grade fuel we have in Germany is 95 ROZ

dammit, had i known that. could've got more power out of it or make it more efficient

aside from that. mind if i ask, is V's opinion your actual real wife's opinion?
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:36 am

asdren wrote:
9. Boss Manager

The next car was another from the united states, and even though I am not very familiar with Boss cars, the back of this sedan was as American as it can get, at least in my opinion. Nothing very fancy about the looks, the side looks especially clean, almost a bit empty, but what I was not so sure about was the headlights. If you kneel down and look at from the front, it is a look that I would expect from a hatchback, I guess its because the front grill is relatively small compared to the big headlights. It does not look what it is named after, a Manager. Maybe I am getting a bit nitpicky here.

I feel like this is payback for comments I may have made about your farm truck. :lol: Other than that, I've long envied the design capabilities of some of the other competitors. I have no creative foresight. That's why the Boss Motorsports style is plain. It's not about the outside. It's the performance and quality that make a car.
Something that impressed me was the huge trunk, this car has quite a long rear end.

I'm an Italian from Jersey. Need I say more?
Underneath sits a pretty sweet 3.7L V6, producing 232hp with probably the most linear torque delivery I have ever felt. But what surprise me the most was the handling of the Manager, considering that it weights almost 1.8 tonnes. It felt agile and pointed.

This is probably the first Boss car that's not an insane power monster, but I had to throw some performance at it. I've been getting more... reasonable... as I've played the game more. Especially with the tycoon part coming out. I think the Manager came out well for a larger sedan.
Almost fade free brakes

I thought they were fade free when I built the car... I must have adjusted something in the fine tuning.
The car runs on 89 octane ROZ fuel, which is not bad, but a missed opportunity, since the lowest grade fuel we have in Germany is 95 ROZ.

I designed the car to run on regular American fuel. Just think, you could get the car chipped with a Boss Motorsports tune and get some more power out of it. If not, you'd never have to worry about knock or a sub-par tank of fuel.
After I went home as usual I googled after some other experiences about the Manager, and most report that the Manager is very reliable. To sum up the Boss Manager, its a well rounded sedan, no real weaknesses but it doesn't excite me somehow. It's the most well engineered and thought out sedan till now.

I'm pleased with the review and the thoughts on the car overall. I figured I'd be more American that you'd expect as far as weight and power goes, but I think the car yields a strong performance overall. I tried to cover as many bases as possible and I think that if you really want a long term new car that can be fun and supremely practical and reliable, you have to give up the flashy bits to stay under budget. Good interior, good power, and a great handling feel are all things important to a good driving experience.
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:50 am

The Smooth Storm looks good, has a premium interior, I only wished it would have been a bit more sporty in the way it drives and feels.

Well it's got muffler bypass and rwd ;)
Smooth car comes with a smooth ride. I think you will appreciate that on the autobahn more.
Great review, shame we had those export glitches...
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

asdren

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 am

koolkei wrote:
dammit, had i known that. could've got more power out of it or make it more efficient

Sorry mate, i was not available that week.

koolkei wrote:aside from that. mind if i ask, is V's opinion your actual real wife's opinion?
-> Yes :)

So i updated the original post again, final four cars and the result remain for tomorrow.

<<

Sebesseg

Cars: '15 Charger Rallye

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Nice job on the reviews Asdren. I've enjoyed reading them a lot. The anticipation is killing me; that's the downside of submitting on the last possibly day, you have to wait lol.
<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Wait...

I still need to wait for my score?

I thought that I came in third! :(

Waiting too see the results! :)
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

asdren

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Final reviews are done and the results have been posted: Link to post
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Congrats Sebesseg on getting to taste the sweet, sweet wine of forum victory! :D 8-) :D

I can't wait for the next round, bring it on!!! :P :lol: :P
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

rcracer11m

Cars: oldsmobile alero

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:19 pm

The reason the cs didnt have a diff on it is because it had very little impact on the wheelspin stat even when using the very expensive electric lsd so i just kept it open, besides the TC should kick in to keep the wheels from spinning anyways.

Congrats to sebesseg and im prepared for round 8, hopefully it will be something a bit different than what weve had thus far.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions