FAQ  •  Login

J.E.C.B (Junior Executive Car Brawl) 14th PLACE RELEASED

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Re: J.E.C.B (Junior Executive Car Brawl) 3 SPACES LEFT!!!

Agreed, good call on expanding the slots and the scoring. I still think 3 reviews is fair, as a benchmark the other contests only tend to review 20% of validated entries, or in most cases less!

The point system is an interesting move, but I also agree with Leo: the big difference between 1st and 2nd will cause unpredictable scoring, but that's not something that necessarily has to change, if, say, the reviewers like rewarding cars for being 'the best in the field' for a particular stat.

While I do not normally go within ten feet of "premium" branding style challenges (partially because I'm not very good at them), I've been trying my hand at everything, since upcoming rounds of testing will require some greater familiarity with how all the stats behave, not just my usual preferred of sportiness, acceleration, and track times :lol: Thus I'm announcing a new car from a new mock company from Norway, the Indera Premier, from Sei:

JECB-strop-Indera - Premier-2.png
JECB-strop-Indera - Premier-2.png (238.82 KiB) Viewed 4882 times

You're probably wondering to yourself- a petrol driven car company from Norway? Really? And you'd be right: it doesn't make much sense. Cars in Norway are taxed heavily from purchase and on road. Even as an oil rich country, Norway is also extremely environmentally strict, and has the largest fleet of electric cars in the world. And a rather robust public transportation system. Furthermore, most of the culture surrounding cars doesn't run the same way as it does in much of the OECD world, given the Scandanavian aversion to individuality and self-aggrandising in general. And while Norwegians do buy cars, it's generally for much more practical considerations like needing to get somewhere that the public transport/your bike can't take you, and goddamn, this road is tricky and icy.

Which means that the Indera, an all-aluminium 350hp RWD family saloon in the style of the sports family saloon somewhat similar to the new BMW 4 series, (except priced for a lot less), kind of makes even less sense in a market dominated by the pragmatic crossovers and SUVs. Or at least confined to the southern half of the country where it can actually drive on the freeways and roads. But hey, the founders of Sei are the kind of people who swim against the tide anyway! And with impressive acceleration where it counts, you can give the Law of Jante the finger as you merrily smoke your compatriots off the lights and on the motorway.
<<

GenJeFT

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 and a 1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon.

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Da Wooden Cog proudly presents...

Da Estate Wagon!

Da Estate Wagon.png
Da Estate Wagon.png (705.27 KiB) Viewed 4871 times

Its faster around the Top Gear Test track, more powerful, and more fuel efficent then the BMW 318i (E46)!

Also since its an estate wagon it has more space for the family and luggage for your family trip and with its premium interior and entertainment system you will be comfy and entertained at the same time!

Need to tow a camper or a boat! No problem, with 188HP available from the highly efficient I6 you have plenty of power to tow that boat down the highway!

You cant go wrong with the power of a Highlander, the comfort of a Mercedes-Benz, and the reliability Toyota Corolla.

All yours for the low price of 16987.69
<<

Mason148

Cars: 2002 VW Polo 1.4

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Leonardo9613 wrote:
Mason148 wrote:If there is a tie then both cars will receive the same points (e.g 2 cars with a drivability of 50.5 would get 25 points if they are the first)

Sure, the system works well for ties. I was just thinking that it would be unfair if one car had 50.6 drivability and got 25 points and one with 50.5 only got 20 points. It is an inherent flaw with the chosen system, nothing is perfect.

I used this system of scoring and previously used an F1 style. I understand that a car that is marginally better could get a score that is quite a lot more than another car with just less but ultimately the numbers don't lie; 50.6 is better than 50.5. That's why I only used quantifiable data because there is no subjectivity. All results are based in numbers and the better it is, the more points it gets. Also, there are quite a few different categories for a car to obtain points in so a comfort orientated car isn't just going to get low points due to it not being so fast due to the weighting of stats.

Back to the competition. I have 2 spaces left and 2 pending entries but it does run on a first come first served basis so people can still enter until I say it is over. When entries are closed, I am going to release the stats to my control car that I made and its options (no pictures) just so you guys can compare and then I will release mean stats and the median stats after I have ordered everything. After the median stats are completed, I will add up total scores and then start to release the cars from 15th down to 1st one by one with the top three cars getting a review along with their stats and placing for each stat.

Does this seem okay for everyone?
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Re: J.E.C.B (Junior Executive Car Brawl) 2 SPACES LEFT!!!

I am ok with that, mainly because I don't build my cars around the scoring system (I prefer NOT knowing how the scoring works) but around the rules instead.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Sounds fine by me!
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:32 am

Sounds fine to me as well, I'm just glad da wooden cog has released a luxury car that's (probably) slower than mine.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 am

It only just occurred to me that 350hp might actually be too much for this competition, depending on how the others go. After all, we would presume that this means worse fuel economy, and a larger engine at that, and probably less money on other things like better seats and radio etc.

That said, my 350hp does come from a V6 which is only 3.2L and uses a VTEC system, allowing it to use an AFR of 14.6:1, which generates quite decent fuel economy. It's just a matter of just how decent the others are.
<<

RoyalStig

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: A Mountain Bike

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:20 am

Scoring systems sounds good to me! Also, it looks like I'm not the only one using a V6 :)

And, yes strop, despite putting out 348 BHP, my fuel economy is poor to say the least :D (probably because it's a bigger engine)
Name of Car Company: Griffin Automotive
Owner of company: RoyalStig
Established: 31st October 1962 As Griffin Automotive, 2nd April 1955 as 'Ddraig'.
Company ID: #1962021
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:37 am

My 3 liter V6 makes just over 200hp and lb-ft torque, of which 170 lb-fts is avaliable all the way from idle to redline, but it gets better gas mileage then my tiny 106hp 1.5L scion.
Last edited by nialloftara on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

Mason148

Cars: 2002 VW Polo 1.4

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:49 am

There are still 2 spaces left guys :lol:
<<

GenJeFT

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 and a 1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon.

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:40 am

Resubmit as Da Sedan.

Car is almost exactly the same bar the rear end.

Da Sedan.jpg
Da Sedan.jpg (112.37 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

nialloftara wrote:Sounds fine to me as well, I'm just glad da wooden cog has released a luxury car that's (probably) slower than mine.

Don't count on that.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:46 am

strop wrote:That said, my 350hp does come from a V6 which is only 3.2L and uses a VTEC system, allowing it to use an AFR of 14.6:1, which generates quite decent fuel economy. It's just a matter of just how decent the others are.

Push rods.........need I say more? Gives you an idea where my economy lies :P Desert Motors tries to use push rods whenever they can because we can :D Also..........350HP? I expected more from you Strop!! :D ;)
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:52 am

Yeah, I would've, if not for this particular rule...

POWER - No more than 350hp (261KW)

:P

That's why I'm not making this an Armada car... Armada would have gone for M4 levels of performance for the budget... and at least 500hp...

And Gryphon Gear would have gone for a 1:1 hp:kg ratio...
<<

BlastersPewPew

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:55 am

I still bet you tried to see how much you could get :D And yeah, I know of the limit but what are limits to the glorious Strop when it comes to POWAH?
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:03 am

Well, seeing as rules are rules and I did want to submit something, I just went for the smallest engine I could make that could reasonably reach 350hp with good economy and left it at that!

Elsewhere I'm actually in the process of trying to reduce engineering and build costs... so far I have a AWD coupe with 1439hp at 1433kg for 66000 costs and 500PU... or a 1109hp, 1109kg MR racer for 57000 costs and 450PU. Both hustle around Green Hell in under 7 minutes and thanks to reducing the quality of the tyres I've also managed to slash the servicing costs from like 25k :o to 6k.

(Oh, and both have non-negative quality sport interior and basic infotainment... but this does mean I have to use -15 adv safety)
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions