FAQ  •  Login

The Farm Truck Challenge (Results, 3rd Place Announced)

<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:50 am

Re: The Farm Truck Challenge (Results, 24th-6th)

My rear tire choice reflects the lack of dually rear axle, same as my engine reflects a lack of diesel, my entry was designed for aspects we just don't have in game, yet. Still I'm glad I managed to score so high.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 am

Wow, very nice reviews!

Can't wait for the rest :mrgreen:
CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 am

nialloftara wrote:My rear tire choice reflects the lack of dually rear axle, same as my engine reflects a lack of diesel, my entry was designed for aspects we just don't have in game, yet. Still I'm glad I managed to score so high.

I think you'll see that I caught on to the diesel theme. I also figured you intended to go with dual wheel setup, since your fronts were only 235s.

BlastersPewPew wrote:7th?!?!?! How the hell did my "truck" manage to pull that off????

I don't know. That's what scared me at first lol. I thought I completely botched the rules.

Madrias wrote:I'll admit, I enjoyed seeing the little blurb about my truck. Figured the Double Wishbone was gonna kill me in the end, but I just couldn't bring myself to use a solid axle. Still, I'm glad the V12 did the trick when coupled to that wonderful automatic transmission. 21st isn't too bad, at least in my opinion.

I hope you enjoyed it. I went a little fanboy on it for 21st place.
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 am

I did enjoy it. Wasn't expecting it'd be a big hit, but I did what I did for a reason. Big V12 means I could make lots of power without revving the nuts off of the engine or blowing stuff up with turbochargers. Double wishbone front and rear for comfort, though if I'd have thought for a moment more, I'd probably have put either Multi-Link or Semi-Trailing Arm under the rear. Reasonably high-end interior because no one wants to spend that much on a truck to get crappy cloth seats and a cheap radio.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting my truck to do well. I built it with a series of compromises, some that I do regret. I forgot for just a moment that we were building trucks, so I ended up building a comfortable car with a large amount of room to carry stuff in. As for Stage Two, I'm not sure what I'm going to do to the poor thing to make it quick, because I know for sure it won't be fast.
<<

Puffster

Cars: No car atm, but a kawasaki z650, 1981

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:23 am

Great blurbs, really give the competition so much more life and makes you a little proud of your truck. Pretty happy with the results, aiming even higher for the next part, but really stiff competition.
Awesome challenge so far!
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
Will be updated soon... ish... perhaps... hopefully
<<

Sebesseg

Cars: '15 Charger Rallye

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Wow, competition was very tough and I didn't realize how many people had actually entered. 15th isn't bad, I was thinking 11 or 12 based on being out priced. In any case, excellent blurbs and I can't wait to read the top 6. Also two or crew cab sport variants are coming soon for the next phase. I'm really enjoying this series of events.

Also John Deere dark green is clearly the only appropriate color...unless you like International Harvester red...or Case orange (if you remember), but I made the engine orange.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:11 am

well then. 17th. not that i have any high hopes, but that was a bit lower than i thought.
living conditions IRL really does affect my judgements in-game. here, even pickup truck are fitted with 1.3-1.5l engine. bigger trucks use 3.5l at most.
i was SUPER hesitant to go big and make less fuel efficient. i guess that, plus the hesitation to choose better interior because reliability issues, is what killed my scores.

btw, it actually ended up exactly the way i thought it would, i would have a very close competition with someone, it's not strop this time though. (congrats for mr.HighOctaneLove :) )
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Vw Golf 3 TDI

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:19 am

Wait... My truck is not on the list of 24th-6th place. That means I'm in the top 5?! Holy crap, I never thought I'd make that happen. I usually never build "serious" trucks. Occasionally 2000hp AWD dragstrip monsters, yes, but nothing for the masses. I'm surprised I did so well to be honest, but I did think carefully about what engine to put into it, what sort of capacity, how many cylinders, turno or NA, what head type etc. and of course also what gearbox, tyres and suspension setup I should use. It seems to have worked out just fine :D
<<

carskick

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
2014 Mazda CX5 2.5 GT

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:16 am

I can deal with 10th! =D

It was ugly, wasn't it? Good all around, but ugly.

Thanks for the level of detail you put into each applicant's entry! Glad to see it, even for last place.
Name of Car Company: Kirk Automotive
Website or Forum thread: Initial announcement of first car: 1984 Kirk C130T
Company ID: 2015519
Current Compeititon: The Efficient Future - Make the Best of it
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:22 am

With a HUGE thanks to asdren, pictures will be added to the blurbs and available for further reviews.

TheTom wrote:Wait... My truck is not on the list of 24th-6th place. That means I'm in the top 5?! Holy crap, I never thought I'd make that happen. I usually never build "serious" trucks. Occasionally 2000hp AWD dragstrip monsters, yes, but nothing for the masses. I'm surprised I did so well to be honest, but I did think carefully about what engine to put into it, what sort of capacity, how many cylinders, turno or NA, what head type etc. and of course also what gearbox, tyres and suspension setup I should use. It seems to have worked out just fine :D

Yup, you're in the Top-5. Congrats. You should see your review in a couple of days.

carskick wrote:I can deal with 10th! =D

It was ugly, wasn't it? Good all around, but ugly.

Thanks for the level of detail you put into each applicant's entry! Glad to see it, even for last place.

Like I said. Fire the designer.
Boss Motorsports
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:05 pm

I almost forgot to add: GG wouldn't have designed this truck, GG didn't even exist until the end of that year, and they only really did cars. For all my other entries I have other companies that don't have their own thread. In this case, it's Hercules, the heavy and cargo vehicle maker. They tend to do 'get the job done' vehicles with maybe a dash, but not lashings, of class, and they do it relatively well (though I'm still waiting on my review from DoctorNarfy's Man With A Van challenge to find out just how well).

FYI: The other threadless 'companies' I use for tournaments that don't involve steeply priced ultra hypercar slayers (i.e. just about all of them) include:
Armada Motors- Lotus-like English out-of-a-shed company founded in the 50s with a focus on motorsport, always running into financial trouble until they decided to be smart and join a market that would become mainstream instead of trying to make cult cars out of their race models.
Matteo Miglia- Independent breakaway design outfit that tried to rekindle the spirit of the original Italian sports cars after auto industry powerhouse Officine Meccaniche was swallowed in a 5-way merger in 1975.
Phaedra- American muscle car manufacturer that wanted to top them all on a budget. Unclear what happened to them after the 70s.

...and so far that's about it.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:38 am

I have replaced the one GG mention.
Boss Motorsports
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:41 am

Thanks. Note: Hercules didn't really know what they were getting into, they're not used to farm trucks. They're more used to making vans for cargo. But as you so rightly said, the whole farm truck sector is a damn sweet slice of pie.
<<

Slax

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

20th! That means my engineers only get 20 whip lashes each. (This is a surefire way of improving work effectiveness, I'm sure.)
<<

KakarottSajyajin

Cars: None

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:46 am

The reviews are really well written and my truck did actually better than i thought^^
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions