Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Civic

Someone stole my bike :c

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: BRC 1966 - Gentleman Brobots Club [RACE 4 P&Q]

Packbat.

IOU. Just saying.

Went back and re-watched the first round of season one. Good times. End of the reverse grid race was fantastic.
I also noticed Norman finished the first race. Little did he know. ^_^

Honestly as for the driver thing, I would prefer we all have the same 'driver'. Just because, I like to see the difference mainly in the cars to be honest. But I certainly see where you're coming from, it's not a bad idea at all. Just not my cup of tea.

I say this too often but, I enjoy the BRC so much. I Hope Der Bayer it is enjoyable for you as well and not too labour intensive.
"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does." - The great Murry Walker.

I'm on Steam!
Absurdistx
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041832277/
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:27 am

Re: BRC 1966 - Gentleman Brobots Club [RACE 5 P&Q]

Heh - glad to be of service. And speaking of which... :D

5_Thruxton_P-90 min-v2.zip
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

...I've added a new sheet with a calculator to help plan race strategies. It takes two inputs:
  • Name: The exact (well, case-insensitive) name under which you submitted your car. (The calculator uses this to find your data on the first sheet for its calculations.)
  • Max Acceptable Tyre Wear [%]: How much maximum tyre wear you are willing to let your car accumulate between stops to replace tyres.
and returns the following:
  • Tank Size [kg]: Your tank size, as typed in by yours truly based on the video of the Silverstone practice session (pulled from the first sheet).
  • Full Tank Fuel Range [%]: What percentage of the full race distance your car can complete on a full tank of fuel (accounting for the two-lap margin of safety - this is pulled from the first sheet).
  • 20 kg Fuel Range [%]: What percentage of the full race distance your car can complete on 20 kg of fuel (i.e. the amount of fuel you can be guaranteed to fill into the tank during a tyre change without delay).
  • 30 kg Fuel Range [%]: What percentage of the full race distance your car can complete on 30 kg of fuel (i.e. the amount of fuel you can put into the tank during the longest possible tyre change pit stop).
  • Full Tank Tyre Wear F/R [%]: How much tyre wear to expect when pitting in after expending a full tank of fuel (also pulled from the first sheet).
  • Tyre Range [%]: What percentage of the full race distance you can complete before tyre wear reaches your max acceptable.
  • Full Tyre Fuel Use [kg]: How much fuel you expend traveling the above distance.
  • Min # Stops: Minimum number of stops as determined by whichever range is smaller: fuel tank or tyre wear.
  • Min Total Refuel [kg]: Minimum required fueling to complete the estimated maximum race distance (also pulled from the first sheet).
  • Min Refuel/Stop @ Min # Stops: Minimum required fueling divided between number of stops. If you are taking the minimum number of stops, you must take at least this much fuel at each stop.
I pre-filled the calculator with my own name and tyre wear % because leaving it blank produces error messages, so you can probably determine my Thruxton race strategy just by looking at it. Hopefully this will save you a little calculator work planning yours.
<<

DeusExMackia

Cars: '04 Seat Arosa 1.0 S

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:42 am

My god, Packbat. You are a life saver. I might actually be able to reach the top 30 now! :D Thank you!
ImageImageImageImage
Company ID: 1959771

The Great Automation Badge Grid - Get your company on the grid

"Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a bucktooth girl in Luxembourg"
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:14 am

PackBat let me buy you an imaginary beer (that's the best I can come up with).
This stuff makes me a bit madder that I'm not competitive (or at least finishing races) because it really suits my inner nerd (haha inner who am I kidding) to run through the numbers and plan stuff...
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Packbat wrote:Heh - glad to be of service. And speaking of which... :D

Hopefully this will save you a little calculator work planning yours.

Wow. This is great stuff. So I'm one of the cars that could go with fewer pit stops. But, is it worth the extra fuel load?
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

Packbat

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:02 pm

@KLinardo: We had a dry qualifying this time, so the speed difference between your fastest lap in practice and your qualifying time should give a good estimate the effect of fuel load.

I've been assuming 15 seconds plus pit time for the cost of each pit stop - normally, pit time is whichever takes longer: tyres (10-15 s, random) or fuel (0.5 s/kg).

Hopefully that's enough data to make an estimate and decide.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:13 am

Does heavier fuel load increase tire wear? Is the weight on the tires dynamic as it takes the weight of fuel into account?
Boss Motorsports
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:04 am

...I don't know, actually. I'd expect that effect to have an effect in the tenths of seconds or less, though.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:08 am

Oh I know, but where I'm usually at in the running order, tenths matter
Boss Motorsports
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:33 am

I guess I see what you're getting at. I feel like the errors in the other numbers in the calculation (particularly effect of tyre wear on lap times and pit entry+exit time) are going to add up to multiple seconds by the end of the race, though, so personally I've been ignoring anything like that.

(Actually, looking at the spreadsheet, you have a lot of rear tyre wear - have you ever gotten those rear tyres up past 20% wear? How much time were you losing per lap at that point?)
<<

Puffster

Cars: No car atm, but a kawasaki z650, 1981

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:32 am

Packbat wrote:@KLinardo: We had a dry qualifying this time, so the speed difference between your fastest lap in practice and your qualifying time should give a good estimate the effect of fuel load.

I've been assuming 15 seconds plus pit time for the cost of each pit stop - normally, pit time is whichever takes longer: tyres (10-15 s, random) or fuel (0.5 s/kg).

Hopefully that's enough data to make an estimate and decide.

Worth to remember is the time in pits does not include accel and decel in pits I think (correct me if I'm wrong). I've found I usually lose about 20 seconds on a pit that takes 12-14sec. Really torn between one and two pitstops, but think I would lose too much time per lap, especially concidering I usually have the highest tirewear of the race :mrgreen:
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
Will be updated soon... ish... perhaps... hopefully
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:47 am

Puffster wrote:Worth to remember is the time in pits does not include accel and decel in pits I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

No, that's absolutely correct. A couple of us looked over the Snetterton race footage a few weeks ago to try to estimate the additional time - I got 14 seconds looking at lap times, and I think ... Killrob? Someone in the IRC channel got a similar number looking at gaps before and after a pit stop.

The way I ended up doing my calculations, I was going from one stop with 33.6 kg to two stops with 20 kg each - so instead of 16.8 s in the pits plus about 15 s lost from pit-in and pit-out, I'd be looking at 20-30 s in the pits and about 30 s from pit-in and pit-out, which works out to a loss of 23 s on average relative to the one-stop strategy. Which, given how much time my car would be losing per lap above 20% tyre wear, I'll more than make up in the 15-20 laps I spend on fresher tyres with a two-stop strategy.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Packbat wrote:I guess I see what you're getting at. I feel like the errors in the other numbers in the calculation (particularly effect of tyre wear on lap times and pit entry+exit time) are going to add up to multiple seconds by the end of the race, though, so personally I've been ignoring anything like that.

(Actually, looking at the spreadsheet, you have a lot of rear tyre wear - have you ever gotten those rear tyres up past 20% wear? How much time were you losing per lap at that point?)

I think I dropped a second per lap at my worst tire wear earlier. I don't remember what track that was. I think I'm going to want to be on fresh tires due to the amount of driver errors I had in practice.
Last edited by KLinardo on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Motorsports
<<

Matti

Cars: A Two Wheeler with 1 HP (=Human Power)

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:00 am

Summary of my season till now:

1st Race at Silverstone: rain, 1 random pit stop too much, no driver errors, 18th place. Ok.
2nd Race at Snetterton: dry, 3 driver errors in couple of minutes, 2nd place. Wow. Hyped.
3rd Race at Knockhill: Lasted 150 seconds before shot down. Knocked-out-hill. Driver dead.
4th Race at Oulton Park: Lasted 5 and 1/2 laps before driver killed himself. Estimated finishing position 4/5th place. Employing.
<<

DeusExMackia

Cars: '04 Seat Arosa 1.0 S

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:58 am

Matti wrote:Knocked-out-hill. Driver dead.

This reminds me...How many people have actually been killed in this season so far? Pretty sure there were tons on the second race. The FIA would not be happy with this!
ImageImageImageImage
Company ID: 1959771

The Great Automation Badge Grid - Get your company on the grid

"Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a bucktooth girl in Luxembourg"
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions