FAQ  •  Login

Photo-editing your automation car tutorial. (Update: detail)

<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:29 am

Re: Photo-editing your automation car tutorial. (Update: det

Squidhead is a fucking wizard.
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

Razyx

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Renault Megane 1.4 TCe

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:02 pm

A photoshop tutorial!!... didn't see it before :? .
All I can say is thanks, in all of this time I have not been able to do it... :oops:

I wish to add a few 'tips', or different techniques/alternatives to those that have been pointed out.

Step 6. Shadows..., you also can do them through <Drop Shadow> -Layer Styles- with a duplicated layer of the car (that you'll put under the main car layer).
After setting up the angle, distance, etc, of the shadow, merge the layer <Merge Linked> with a 2nd (an empty) one, you'll get a new one without effects but with the shadow and the car.
Now you can work on the shadows and delete leftover areas, etc. You can add <Feather> to the selection while deleting a given area to get a shadow gradient.
In this way getting a basic shadow is quicker than drawing it from scratch.

Detailing - Step 6. Brightness lines. I think <Smudge> is fine while there's a minimal gradient deviation, i.e. almost a plain color around the bright area, if not...
Anyway, if you have to re-draw a straight line (from a little area that you can clone) the <Clone Stamp> is your best and quicker friend.

I'll be following the thread closely.
ManHell Automotive in Automation Hub with some exclusive cars.
<<

CNSpots1

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 am

I actually have a bit of a problem even getting started, namely, ever since the most recent sort of version of the game, the UI is saved along with the picture, and the background turns white instead of transparent when I have the Buildings toggled off. And I'm sure if this is a glitch or a universal issue. :\
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:32 am

CNSpots1 wrote:I actually have a bit of a problem even getting started, namely, ever since the most recent sort of version of the game, the UI is saved along with the picture, and the background turns white instead of transparent when I have the Buildings toggled off. And I'm sure if this is a glitch or a universal issue. :\

That is why you need to take the picture from the gearbox menu with the graphs hidden. And that's also why you should turn FXAA on, or off if you wish to leave background transparent...
<<

squidhead

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:45 am

Razyx wrote:I wish to add a few 'tips', or different techniques/alternatives to those that have been pointed out.

added to first post
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:26 am

Really great guide. We all simply must appreciate all your hard work!

(too bad I don't have Photoshop....)

EDIT..Do you mind me asking how long has it taken you to get this good at photoshopping?

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

squidhead

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:14 am

Ehm... well the first pictures in my thread are actually the first tries. And I have uploaded pretty much all of the ones I've made, so I guess it's "that many pictures" :D
A month is probably enough if you put enough effort into it.
<<

Razyx

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Renault Megane 1.4 TCe

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:49 am

I've been looking for some screenshots with english interface (I got it in spanish so not really helpful) to add another option that might be useful in some scenarios, that would be Replacing Color.
I'm gonna use it to get the stats background in black but It can be applied in any place with anything (you can replace the color in the whole pic, a layer, or a selection).

We start with a piece of the common stat screenshot.

Now we head to the main menu; Image > Adjustements > Replace Color (as you can see in the next pic).

This will open the Replace Color configuration window.

Replacing Color (RC).
Just a few things:
Trough the dropper we will select the first (and main) color to replace. The dropper with a plus (plus dropper?) will allow us to add another color, or more.
The Fuzziness would be like the color deviation allowed regarding the color/s selected, so take care selecting many colors or setting high fuzziness values, you know, a given color is 'a balance' of basic colors.

Ok, going back to our pic we can see that it has two colors in strips. For this example I advise a Fuzziness value of 25.
Select one of them (through the dropper and clicking on your main pic). Then the little pic on the RC window will change showing in white the area affected.

The best way to see how wide is the area affected (in your main pic) would be setting the Lightness to -100.

Let's go for the other color. We are going to add another color but first, click on the 'plus dropper' icon, and click on the other strip in the main pic.
Once again the little pic on the RC window will change in a whiter version,
but we can see that there still are some black areas in the left border.

Now we can choose one of two ways, clicking again with the 'plus dropper' in a black area (on the main pic) or set a higher Fuzziness value (like 75).
Sometimes one way is better than other, so try it.

Looks ok, click OK and we are done.

Tada!!
ManHell Automotive in Automation Hub with some exclusive cars.
<<

Absurdist

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Civic

Someone stole my bike :c

Post Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:31 pm

Great stuff. Awesome post Squidhead, a credit to the community.
"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does." - The great Murry Walker.

I'm on Steam!
Absurdistx
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041832277/
Previous

Return to Car Design Sharing Forum