FAQ  •  Login

J.S.C S.p.A - exclusive sports cars ['91 Predator updated]

<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: J.S.C S.p.A - exclusive sports cars [Group B Rally Car!]

I hope you got some tasty stuff stashed away for Geneva show :) It would be cooler to present it there :D
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 am

squidhead wrote:I hope you got some tasty stuff stashed away for Geneva show :) It would be cooler to present it there :D

Don't worry.. Our main attraction at Geneva is expected to be a real eye magnet ;) (At least the designer team thinks that...)

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

squidhead

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:52 am

<<

Starfish94

Cars: Am a car salesman , drive anything which is available to get me home.

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:24 am

Suddenly j.s.c is on a launching spree , nice cars !
<<

TurboJ

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:09 am

Starfish94 wrote:Suddenly j.s.c is on a launching spree , nice cars !

Thank you! Yeah, I've really gotten hooked on this stuff. A little while with no working days and all I do is Automation and photo editing and story telling :)
Last edited by TurboJ on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<<

TurboJ

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:36 am

INTRODUCING 5TH GENERATION J.S.C PREDATOR

'91pop song for period-correct vibes... (click)

The Predator Turbo was aimed at the premium sportscar market where high performance was met with demands for practicality and keeping the price within reason. Economic atmosphere at the time resulted in J.S.C introducing only a single new model to replace both the Turboverde and the previous generation Predator. Combining V8 power of the Predator and lightweight construction of the Turboverde, new model was ahead of its time as far as performance was concerned. Stylistically J.S.C was a little bit more cautious in fear of not repeating the "too progressive" design of the INCA. Instead of breaking a lot of new ground, the new car was designed to improve and optimize the previous designs.

Design-wise the 5th generation Predator followed the traditional mid-engine rear-wheel drive configuration. Based purely on the smaller "Turboverde" chassis platform, the 3.5-litre alloy V8 was now mounted longitudinally. This was made possible by a modifications to the galvanized steel frame that was widened by 6 cm while locating the passenger compartment forward by some 20 cm. Glass-reinforced plastic bodywork was partially load-bearing like on the 'Verde. A very long time was spent in the wind tunnel to optimize the car's aerodynamics so that high performance could be achieved with a more efficient engine than on the previous generation car. Indeed, the 1991 Predator was able to hit 280 km/h top speed with "only" 330 horsepower.

Chassis had double wishbones front and rear and extra effort was made to combine high speed stability with grand touring suppleness. The Predator Turbo was designed for everyday use instead of only a weekend supercar. Coil-over springs were utilized with mono-tube dampers at both ends. Anti-dive geometry helped the Predator in both acceleration and deceleration departments. Power steering system featured a low-pressure pump to maintain high levels of road feel at high speeds. Brakes had 3-piston calipers front and 2-piston at the rear; all wheels had 290-mm ventilated discs. Anti-locking system was standard. 225 / 255 mm low-profile sports tires were fitted on "turbine" 18-inch aluminum wheels that improved brake cooling by forcing air out of the wheel well with radial fin-shaped spokes. Lateral forces of up to 1.05g were possible when conrnering. Being only 418 cm long the new car was especially at home on twisting country lanes where the excellent agility pleased also the motoring press.

Styling was done by Pininfarina with finishing touches by JSC based on their wind tunnel work.

The 1991 Predator Turbo spent 6 years in development to produce what was at the time of release a state of the art sportscar design. CD-value was 0.30

The styling of the '91 Predator would influence many future J.S.C road cars. By this time the "Blu Montpellier" color was already established as a brand tradition.

The styling had similarities with other Pininfarina designs but JSC made sure their own touches were included in the mix. Twin exhausts shared a single, transverse silencer behind the bumper.

The 1991 Predator Turbo was a strong performer. In fact the preliminary performance goals were quickly rendered obsolete when the design team realized what potential the advanced aerodynamics and the smaller platform had when introduced with turbocharged power from JSC's 8C35-87 3.5-litre V8. The car weighed only 1262 kg so with 330 hp and 445 Nm torque it had all the punch needed to propel the slippery body into illegal speeds very easily... 0-100 km/h took 4.2 seconds, a quarter mile sprint 12.5 seconds at 185 km/h terminal speed. Standing kilometer took 22.8 seconds at 231 km/h. Top speed was a very respectable 280 km/h. Still the Predator Turbo had very reasonable fuel efficieny with 11.4 liters/100 km on combined cycle. Updated braking system allowed stopping from 100 km/h in 32.3 meters with the standard ABS system helping to achieve better stability under braking. Maximum lateral force of 1.05 G was recorded on the skidpad.

Cooling layout was a direct update of the Turboverde design. Water radiator at front, oil coolers on the sides and intercooler directly below the rear spoiler. Airflow to the intercooler utilized vacuum created by the rear extractor vent between rear lights

Perspex covered projector headlights replaced the predecessor's hidden headlights. Also utilizing projector technology, the standard fitment foglights were integrated to the front bumper.

Twin turbo V8 was directly from J.S.C's customer lineup. In its '1987' edition 330 horsepower gave the new Predator near supercar acceleration.

The Gen V Predator would stay in production until 2000 with a total of 26.200 units built. In 1994 a 260 hp normally aspirated version would be added to the lineup. In 1998 the car received a facelift with smoother bumpers and bi-xenon headlights. On the tech side, the evolution version was upgraded with adaptive shock absorbers and the new 8C35-95 engine. Normally aspirated version could now match the old "Turbo's" 330 hp while the new Turbo version got 415 hp and 422 Nm which made it the fastest accelerating premium sports car on the market. Upon launch, the '91 Predator received the following reviews from motoring press: Drivability 31.7, sportiness 47.0, comfort 30.6, prestige 35.7, safety 44.4, practicality 22.3, utility 16.1, and reliability 62.6.

<<

TurboJ

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 am

Re: J.S.C S.p.A - exclusive sports cars ['91 Predator update

Random thing I just noticed....

J.S.C Automobili - topic online for 238 days, total 2313 views.
Patriot Motor Force - topic online for 11 days, total 2003 views.

People seem to be interested in insanity :lol:

<<

Awildgermanappears

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Nissan Note

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:18 am

This is the internet. Everyone is more interested in the ridiculous rather than the reasonable.
IMP Automotive Empire:

IMP Automobilbau
Monolith Motors
LaVache Horseless Carriages
<<

squidhead

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:37 am

And JSC is reasonable?
<<

TurboJ

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:38 am

squidhead wrote:And JSC is reasonable?

Well, not reasonable so much but at least J.S.C is doing stuff that we have IRL too.
I'm not complaining about this, it was just interesting to notice :)
But then again, Patriot has so far only used real-life engines and transmissions so there's that...

<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:13 am

TurboJ wrote:
squidhead wrote:And JSC is reasonable?

Well, not reasonable so much but at least J.S.C is doing stuff that we have IRL too.
I'm not complaining about this, it was just interesting to notice :)
But then again, Patriot has so far only used real-life engines and transmissions so there's that...

And then there is the fact that the people who made Patriot seem to be on LSD.
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

TurboJ

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:34 am

Speedemon wrote:And then there is the fact that the people who made Patriot seem to be on LSD.

Well I can tell you they're usually on something :roll: Sometimes it's just petrol fumes, other times I don't even want to know what!

<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:50 am

TurboJ wrote:
Speedemon wrote:And then there is the fact that the people who made Patriot seem to be on LSD.

Well I can tell you they're usually on something :roll: Sometimes it's just petrol fumes, other times I don't even want to know what!

Well at least they come up with good ideas when they are! :P I mean look at the Jetfighter. No ordinary mind could come up with that. But we are still surprised that they can come up with that stuff when they are on whatever they are doing.
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
Previous

Return to Car Design Sharing Forum