Camoria Automotive: The Best Isn't Good Enough

<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

Post Thu May 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Camoria Automotive: The Best Isn't Good Enough

Welcome to Camoria Automotive's Official Thread!

Camoria Automotive History:

Barbara "Babs" Camoria was born on May 28th, 1903 in Pennsauken, New Jersey. As a child, she became fascinated with cars, despite a society that promoted the line of work as "Men's Work." She graduated from Drexel University of Philadelphia in 1924, with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. As she grew older, continually getting rejected from automotive companies internationally for her gender, she became more and more frustrated with the male-dominated market. She worked small jobs in the mean time, working the more stereotypical jobs (secretary, maid, etc.).

It wasn't until 1946 when Babs got her first chance at her dream. She met a man who later became her mentor: Preston Tucker. He himself was working on a car, the Tucker '48, advertised as The First New Car in Over 50 Years. She quickly became attached to the project, and contributed greatly to the design. She introduced to the car the concept of the pop-out window, which would not shatter in the event of a crash. This invention later went on to save a man's life as he barrel-rolled the Tucker on a race track. Unfortunately, due to false charges of fraud, the company was shut down in 1948, with only 51 cars built. 47 last today. While this was saddening to Babs, her heart was truly broken when Preston Tucker died in 1956.

Inspired by Tucker's failure, in 1952 Babs gathered a crew, many of which came directly from Tucker Corporation, to design a car that would re-challenge the Big 3 auto makers in America. She put her plant in Ypsilanti, Michigan, where Tucker was born and right outside of Detroit, where the Big 3 were located. With many years of hard work, Babs was able to unveil at the 1953 NY Auto Show, the Camoria GTC, or Grand Tour Car, pictured below. This car sampled heavily from some of Tucker's brilliance, including her famous Pop-Out windshields, rotating headlamps, and Increased Angle Doors, so they wont hit the curb when parallel parked. For her, "The best wasn't good enough" (Camoria, 1954). The world was immediately in love with the car. She received thousands of letters requesting to buy a car. Without trouble, Babs was able to comply to the demands, something Tucker struggled with. Having taken lessons on Tucker's mistakes, she was able to hire a workforce, many of which were women, and acquire the steel needed to produce the cars.

Naturally, this did not come without controversy. The Big 3 did their best to provoke the public against buying a car made by a woman. They suggested it was effeminate, poorly built, and over-priced, but Babs overruled that controversy with a tremendous ad campaign, featuring the slogan: We ALL can do it!, taking from the Rosie the Riveter slogan from WWII. Thanks to this campaign, Babs was able to continue producing vehicles. She went on to dominate a tremendous niche market. The public loved that she built a car that was well-built, functional, safe, and reliable. She never cut corners, she never made do. The best wasn't good enough.

Babs stayed on as President of Camoria Automotive until 1965, when she stepped down to usher in a new generation of executives. She did stay on as a design contributor until 1978, when she retired from the business officially. After that she spent a great deal of time touring around the US, teaching classes on design and women's activism. Sadly, in 1992, she passed away. She was lucky enough to witness the unveiling of the 1992 Camoria GTC, which still followed her motto: The best isn't good enough.

She is buried in a cemetery in Haddonfield, NJ. Her headstone is engraved with her motto: The Best Isn't Good Enough
Last edited by jhd1124 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu May 29, 2014 12:43 pm

A Philosophy

The designers at Camoria Automotives revolve their thinking around a concept started by Babs Camoria in the late 1950s:

Sculpted Physics

What is Sculpted Physics?:
Sculpted Physics revolves around the concepts of beauty and science. Each car produced by Camoria goes through a rigorous process designed to produce a vehicle which is both engineered competently as well as a work of art.

Sculpted:
Why do car manufacturers produce a decent car? Why do cars meet standards? What's the point of releasing a car that will be forgotten in 30 years?

Let's see an example:

This is the current Buick Lacrosse. It's nice, enough. It has 4 doors, 5 leather seats, and a powerful enough engine. It's the perfect car for people who don't need a great car. Here's the problem: 30 years from now, if someone, for some reason, wanted to use buy this because it's of a classic era in cars, if he or she drives it down the road, are people going to say "Oh, look, there's that old Buick Lacrosse. That thing is awesome!" This is highly unlikely. Why make a car that doesn't provoke a response. A different style or look, bad or good, still provokes a response. Even cars like the Pontiac Aztek, a car criticized for its horrendous looks, will at least provoke a reaction for the next generation.
But what does the Buick do? Nothing.

This is what the Sculpted portion of our Corporate Language means: Creating a car that will always provoke a reaction and stay with the company. To bring attention to this game specifically: There are only a few different variations of headlights, grilles, etc., but with that, one can create a million different designs. Why limit yourself to just the good-enough standard? Why can't a car be truly beautiful? Cars are works of art. Each designer is an artist: A Metal Sculptor.

Physics:

The physics portion of our Corporate Design language started with our Engine, The Sculpted Physics, SP. This engine sets a bar of excellence contributing to our Hierarchy of Speed. The SP stands at the base of a universe of performance. Built on top of the SP comes engineering magic such as the SP-Super, the SP-Ubi, and the SP-6X. With the combination of Sculpture and Physics, Camoria makes a car suitable for every person: The daily-driver, the future collect, the speed freak, and anyone in between.
Last edited by jhd1124 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 am

An Engine

What makes a great engine?

Is it horsepower?

Is it footprint?

Is it reliability?

What if an engine could sample from all of these?

When Babs Camoria started her company, she and her crew designed the best engine they could for the time. That engine series became known as the Motomatics. The one photoed below is the Motomatic 1954 Special:

How about a car made in 1954 that gets 24mpg, using that engine?

In the 1980s, Camoria, under the guidance of then Consulting Body Babs Camoria, the company began to develop the Sculpted Physics engine division. Today, the current Sculpted Physics engine does a bit of all that is needed in an engine. It makes a solid amount of horsepower, produces a small amount of emissions, and is easy to make.

Last edited by jhd1124 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:01 am

Design Motifs

Any car company has designs they revolve around in all of their cars. Chevy has the split grille, Cadillac has their signature vertical rear headlamps, etc. So why shouldn't a car company like Camoria portray their own Design Motifs.

Inspired by Cadillac's rear vertical headlamps, Camoria designers often include vertical front headlamps to the car. The car below, the Camoria S-Style, prominently features them:

Here are two words that are always in the mind of Camoria Designers:

UNITY

FLOW

Each car presented in Automation has a certain set of lines for the bonnet, doors, boot, etc. Instead of just slapping on some headlamps wherever, one must think about how it affects the car. The Camoria Inspire demonstrates tremendous unity and flow. Note, with the assistance of a bonnet bump, the lines of the car flow directly down into a V shape.

With the word Unity, comes the word Unit. Camoria cars are divided up into units. A Unit is typically composed of a connected headlamp and vent. This aids with the assembly, as they come on as two pieces instead of four. They also provide a unique design experience. The idea is that the vent/grille draws down from the headlamp. For some real-world comparison, think of the rear of an Audi R8. The combination of the headlamp and the rear vent is what Camoria designers would call a unit.

Drawing:
In-Game:

Finally, Camoria uses its Sculpted Physics design language to focus on the badge of the car. Our cars make a statement, and we want the world to know where it comes from. This is why the badge features the chrome extensions. They also serve as cooling vents, embodying the Sculpted Physics idea.

THAT WAS A LONG READ. THANKS

What design motifs do your companies embody?
Last edited by jhd1124 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: I have TWO Peugeots. Please feel sorry for me.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:13 am

Re: Camoria Automotive Official Thread

Some of the images aren't displaying for me, it's just shown as
'[img]
Core%20Inspire%201.png
[/img]'
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:13 am

The grille on the inspire is slightly too big for my tastes, but the headlights are simply amazing!

Also, to use the [img] feature, you need to upload the pictures to the web first.
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:26 am

Camoria Inspire

A Message from Current Camoria Automotive Presient: Jacob deBlecourt,

Dear viewer,

I ask that you be patient with out engine design. This current SP-Turbo Luxe Eco is a long way away from being possible to put into regular production cars. The engine you see in this version of the Inspire is a concept. This is why the engine itself costs so much. We will be issuing a standard engine into the Inspire as soon as our engine development team decides on what to put in. Until then, please enjoy the concept of a brilliant designed car.

Much obliged,
Jacob deBlecourt

Last edited by jhd1124 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:28 am

I find this video sums up all we at Camoria Automotive hold true to our hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KKRYs2Bz-U&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by jhd1124 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:29 am

Imgur displays various embed links after you upload an image. You should select the one titled 'BBCode', and copy/paste that embed code into your posts, and the image should display on forums correctly.
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:30 am

SP-Turbo Luxe Eco

Occasionally, Camoria Automotive desires to demonstrate its range of engine options. While the cheap, reliable engine is ideal, what if someone were to make a hand-crafted engine specialized for only the best of vehicles?

Last edited by jhd1124 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:07 am

You should try turning down the quality sliders for that engine. It seems way too expensive for what it is :P.
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:10 am

I know, it's really expensive. That engine was my emissions/fuel efficiency test engine. I wanted to see what I could do to make an engine as efficient as I currently can. Unfortunately this results in a monumentally high-priced engine. I'm working on another one right now that has slightly higher emissions but isn't AS pricey (still is pricey, though)
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 am

60 Years of Setting the Bar

In the face of recessions, depressions, and obsessions, Camoria Automotive is not afraid to release a big, obnoxious, and delightfully fun Grand Tour car. Thus, in 1952, Camoria started research on a GTC. At the 1953 New York Auto show, the 1954 Camoria GTC was introduced among a line of very competitive, big American cars. Camoria never got the recognition that Chevy and Cadillac got, but its niche market kept the company alive. Here today, to celebrate 60 years of Grand Tour Excellence, we are putting together a presentation of all of Camoria's greatest GTCs. Please enjoy and tell me which one is your favorite.

1954 Camoria GTC
1965 Camoria GTC
1992 Camoria GTC
2014 Camoria GTC-60th Anniversary
Last edited by jhd1124 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Vw Golf 3 TDI

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:08 am

I like the 1965 and the 2014 versions best! What kind of engine do you use in the 2014 version? 709hp at 4000RPM is awesome :D
<<

jhd1124

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:00 am

SP-GT

I'll probably be killed for saying this on here, but I did use sliders. I wanted to use them only because my GT cars are supposed to be luxury, hand crafted cars. I wanted to but all of the nicest things the game could offer regardless of pricing. This car isn't cheap, I can tell you that...

Last edited by jhd1124 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Car Design Sharing Forum