FAQ  •  Login

Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Moderator: zeussy

Poll ended at Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 pm

What do you think about completely converting to Steam, getting rid of the stand-alone launcher?

That’s fine, I would prefer Steam anyway.
82%
That’s inconvenient, but okay when it helps development.
12%
That’s not an option for me; I want/need a stand-alone launcher.
7%

Total votes : 888
<<

MondoBanana

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:44 am

Re: Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Steam is a great platform and marketplace. It would be very good for this game to be there, especially from a marketing perspective: It is a community of gamers, looking for games to play.
I really don't like having a separate launcher with a separate user account to remember just to play this game. If I feel like playing Automation, I have to find the launcher or even login to website, download launcher, wait for updates to apply and then play. I think Steam will be faster and easier to start the game up.
I currently have 150+ games on Steam and it works great for managing my library of games.

Eric
<<

JPWSPEED

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2005 Chevy Aveo
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
2012 Hyundai Elantra

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:00 am

Option 2: Steam
As much as I would rather it be seperate, this is by far the best option.
-The Captain
Company ID: #2014582
<<

karlmphysics

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2016 MINI Countryman
2013 BMW 328i

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:07 am

I would prefer a stand alone launcher. I personally had a bad experience with steam 4 years ago that disabled all my game library while deployed to Iraq. I dont like having all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
<<

frenchy128

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: '06 HHR LT2 - 2.4Lt
-----
frenchy128 - Gold/Beta
frenchy128_npo - Turbo
frenchy128_npo1 - Turbo

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:13 am

I'm game for Stream only, just let us know how/when keys would be converted to Steam key's. I'll add it next time I'm one steam.
Thanks, and Kudo's to the Beta team for the great work!
------
Jean-Francois Leblanc (a.k.a frenchy128 / frenchy128_npo / frenchy128_npo1)

"More Cam!, More Power!"
"NEVER FORGET ZE COMMAs!"
"Nyan Power, ze Cheat Code"
<<

Gearhead24

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2012 Chevy Cruze

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:17 am

I vote option 2, I honestly can't imagine not wanting a steam account. I'm sure anyone who has to get one will find they've been missing out on something awesome.
<<

Janekk

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Few Matchboxes

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:47 am

I'm probably one of the biggest Steam haters you can find. Purely on my user experience with their platform. It loads anything (even stuff like library or my profile) annoyingly slowly, pointless annoying pop-up ads, defaulting to shop (and then waiting for essentially another advertisement to load) when you open client back after putting it in task bar, waiting for their damn client to patch before I can play my games, insisting on downloading and installing stuff I know it doesn't have to install because I already have it before it let's me to play my damn game. I also don't care for their business practices with stuff like that whole steam card trading / levels shenanigans that only serve to squeeze more money out of people who don't know any better. Not a real problem for me though since it doesn't really affect me. So yeah I'd rather have it on GOG as far as large distribution platforms go.

With that said you are stretched thin as it is so extra work load (for my own convenience) of maintaining 2 versions of the game and your own launcher/patcher/DRM isn't good idea.
<<

Numrollen

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Bmw, RN01 R1

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:58 am

I am totally against steam and i wouldnt have bought this game if the "early access" were on steam. I own ~20 games on steam but i still dont like it, i always choose other options if the game offer it! :cry: There arent many disadvantages of steam but the few of them let me have always an antipathy against it. You as a dev will always be bonded to steam. for me as a customer there are other things that happen and could happen in the future. Its like having his complete environment in the apple universum. Sooo many like it, they love it, they stay there whatever this imperium will make and will defend the policy. Will you choose money over wishes from a minor group? steam is for the laziness people, thats the main point why steam got so popular. And they even dont think about the problems comming from such a plattform. Or they dont wanna know it. But from my experience games that had 2 launchers (steam + their own), always their own launcher variante works better. e.g. Arma2 for steam? Horrible! steam workshop? 50/50 that is works. having your game sold for 3$ on the sommer sale? have fun!
WHY Steam? Isnt GOG (launcher, auto update) offering nearly the same for you? Or other platforms beside EA, Ubisoft and steam? For me GOG is offering a much better system.

I play Arma3 with realism mods. me and my clan will never use the steam workshop to manage the mods. I had enough "fun" with it on other games.

*edit* hehe Janekk, dito. but our text wont help us. too many for steam
Last edited by Numrollen on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

KIngBobCat

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Ford Mustang
Jeep Wrangler
Ford Edge

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 am

Use Steam 100% ... I can't really think of any reason not to and it certainly is convenient....
<<

Junny

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Nissan 180sx Type-X
Toyota Starlet Life

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 am

Easy choice. Steam exists for this exact reason. Your efforts are best spent on making game and steam is there to make the other things easier.
<<

Janekk

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:03 am

I think problem Automation team could have with GOG is no DRM policy and I actually think this is one of rare circumstances where DRM actually helps. It isn't big and known enough to have "high-profile crack teams" look at it and at the same time I bet a lot of people would first look for "tpb version" before even thinking about buying.
<<

Conza

Cars: Peugeot 306

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:04 am

I feel sorry for the 8% that this won't work for, but I'd love a steam key, either way.

I've been a vaguely active user, but have had the launcher for a year or so when I started, and no major dramas, no re-installs, just kept updating itself wonderfully.

But adding it into steam makes it easier to transfer between computers, I'm sure they're be development advantages as well (less to maintain? not sure).

Another vote for positive, can't wait to get my key.
<<

havoc3d

Cars: 08 HHR SS Stg1

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:05 am

I have not actually purchased yet BECAUSE it's not on Steam. At this point sitting down to play a game for me always involves firing up Steam, and having a game that doesn't support the platform is a con to me. I love steam overlay for chat or quick web searches while gaming; and now it even has a music player (though I haven't really played with that)

I know some people worry about security, but I feel like Valve has a lot more time and money to throw at account security than a smaller indie dev (no offense to you lovely folks, probably 100+ of my steam games are indies)
<<

Janekk

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:07 am

Conza wrote:But adding it into steam makes it easier to transfer between computers

Actually steam isn't good for this, can't really beat standalone installer. Hardly big issue though so whatever.
<<

Conza89

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: VW Golf V GTI

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:08 am

Conza wrote:I feel sorry for the 8% that this won't work for, but I'd love a steam key, either way.

I've been a vaguely active user, but have had the launcher for a year or so when I started, and no major dramas, no re-installs, just kept updating itself wonderfully.

But adding it into steam makes it easier to transfer between computers, I'm sure they're be development advantages as well (less to maintain? not sure).

Another vote for positive, can't wait to get my key.

See look! I've been on here so long, and so infrequently that I forgot my password and have two accounts.

Cannot wait for the Steam key.

Janekk wrote:
Conza wrote:But adding it into steam makes it easier to transfer between computers

Actually steam isn't good for this, can't really beat standalone installer. Hardly big issue though so whatever.

? I don't understand. One steam account, two computers, copy across the file data bank, verify the data cache, and you're in business.

Or. If you're away from Computer 1, but Computer 2 has steam, you can always download it again - how is this not an improvement over needing to physically copy and paste (normally involving a HDD or a network share)?
<<

celeronpm

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 am

Steam all the way in my opinion.
PreviousNext

Return to News