FAQ  •  Login

Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Moderator: zeussy

Poll ended at Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 pm

What do you think about completely converting to Steam, getting rid of the stand-alone launcher?

That’s fine, I would prefer Steam anyway.
82%
That’s inconvenient, but okay when it helps development.
12%
That’s not an option for me; I want/need a stand-alone launcher.
7%

Total votes : 888
<<

CptSupicardo

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2013 Mazda3 2.0L

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Getting the game onto steam is going to be better for visibility, and for the company, than just the stand-alone game launcher. Steam's great, I use it all the time and it's probably one of the few big services on the internet that hasn't screwed people over in any way so far. And sure it would help development not to maintain two different ways to access the game, but in the long run I think the *right* answer is to have both. Having all of your eggs in one basket is a bad idea in general. Unless, for reasons unknown, the stand-alone launcher is going to take a large effort to maintain, having both would please people who for whatever reason can't or don't want to use Steam.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:43 pm

WildKarrde wrote:Steam, hands down. If a PC game wants to be taken seriously, it needs to be on Steam. Every day it's not on Steam is lost sales. I've known lots of people who are waiting for it to get on Steam, even though I have told them they will get a Steam key when it gets on Steam.

So yeah, the game needs to be on Steam, ASAP.

Oh, there is no question over that, the question is if it should be Steam ONLY.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

CptSupicardo

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2013 Mazda3 2.0L

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Daffyflyer wrote:Yeah, the real painful thing is that we're about to overhaul the multiplayer stuff, and the logical way to do that is just straight Steamworks stuff. Doing a non-Steam version of that will be painful/waste a huge slab of time.

If it's really that much work, one thought that comes to mind is sort of the reverse of the common sense approach but.. what if, after becoming successful on Steam, automation plays catch-up with the stand-alone installer at a later date? That way you can focus on the important stuff now, and have a fallback plan for the future.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:54 pm

CptSupicardo wrote:
Daffyflyer wrote:Yeah, the real painful thing is that we're about to overhaul the multiplayer stuff, and the logical way to do that is just straight Steamworks stuff. Doing a non-Steam version of that will be painful/waste a huge slab of time.

If it's really that much work, one thought that comes to mind is sort of the reverse of the common sense approach but.. what if, after becoming successful on Steam, automation plays catch-up with the stand-alone installer at a later date? That way you can focus on the important stuff now, and have a fallback plan for the future.

I can't really work out the justification for the huge amount of work it'd require, and it'd have non-steam players left years behind most likely.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

nnaanniittoo

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Peugeot 308 Active '14
Peugeot 307 XS '09
Peugeot 207 Compact Feline '12
Peugeot 206 Gènèration '11

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:10 pm

I vote for the launcher itself is maintained at least to open it because I do not have internet on the computer I use automation. I have no problem using steam to update the game because whenever I download it from another computer. excuse my English, use a translator because I do not speak English, only Spanish. greetings from Argentina
Preocúpate más por tu conciencia que por tu reputación,porque tu conciencia es lo que eres, ese es tu problema. Tu reputación es lo que los otros piensan de ti,y lo que piensan los demás, es problema de ellos. - Albert Einstein
<<

wollinger

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Mazdaspeed3

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Steam all the way!

I like the idea of being independent BUT, having all your resources focused on the game itself is a better choice, less headache for you guys, a better game for all of us and more sales for you,which means more capital for more miatas and game improvement. The only "bad" thing will be see the game on a summer sale for 75%less than what i paid.
<<

travis420

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Option 2: steam all the way
<<

maujo

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1990 BMW E30 320i

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Steam all the way, easier to access games, better reach into the gaming community, more people will see the game so possibly more purchases,

Steam only in my opinion, can always bring out a stand alone launcher later once the game is completed or something, but focus on the important stuff now like just finishing the game to a high standard
<<

Spikehorn123

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1968 Ranchero

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:17 pm

I think that you guys should do the steam platform because I'm sure that almost everyone has a steam account. And if you don't have one its not a big deal to get steam, plus I think it's important for the team to focus on one platform.
<<

Salnex

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Mazda 323 Protege

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Definitely Steam.
<<

Saabetto

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Rusty Opel Astra

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Steam. Simple as that.
<<

brandonb1218

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Even though I pre-purchased, I haven't followed this game for a long time simply because it hasn't been available to me on Steam. I hate having separate launchers for every thing. Definitely a +1 to Steam for me.
Last edited by brandonb1218 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Kev2442

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:12 pm

I like the launcher, as I don't have to keep Steam in the background (I hate performance waste).
But I think you don't have to keep it this way.
I think most people not using Steam does so because they simply don't play online so they're bothered by Steam offline mode.
So it would be simpler to keep the separate version as an offline one, and focus on the Steam community for online play.
<<

autofrank

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:13 pm

As long as I don't have to buy the game again I'm all for a steam version.
Personally I'd like to see manhours and MTBF return rather than production units and reliability score of 0-100.
<<

sparkyplug28

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Astra Van 1.9 CDTI 200bhp
Discovery TD5 189bhp
both remapped :D

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Steam all the way had steam for about 4 years if not longer never had a single issue!
PreviousNext

Return to News