FAQ  •  Login

Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Moderator: zeussy

Poll ended at Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 pm

What do you think about completely converting to Steam, getting rid of the stand-alone launcher?

That’s fine, I would prefer Steam anyway.
82%
That’s inconvenient, but okay when it helps development.
12%
That’s not an option for me; I want/need a stand-alone launcher.
7%

Total votes : 888
<<

kithylin

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1985 Alfa Romeo GTV-6

Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:55 am

Re: Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Anyone that has any "issues" with using steam is in the extreme minority. I've been using steam since Half-Life 2 came out, and there's never once been a sign in issue or connection issue for me. I may have been "lucky" but most of my other friends that game with me on steam games have had the same experience. By and large steam is a very stable platform with rarely any issues.

Millions of people use it at all hours of the day (Remember that's millions), and there wouldn't be such a large user base if it was anything negative about it.

They've even improved the steam client drastically since the original incarnation years ago too.

To anyone that doesn't like steam: Just think, it could be worse. They could be trying to force us to use that god-awful Origin Client system.
<<

martelle

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited + Tech Package

Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Killrob wrote:Make that 3, out of which one has a normal day job as well. :) Otherwise you are correct! The Steam integration seems to be very dev-friendly, too.
There we go, that's even more work for you guys then. I'd offer to help, but I'm no programmer. XD I just know enough to create basic bash scripts to automate things on my servers and windows login scripts.
Michael Artelle
Owner/CEO
Artelle Master Motors - Est. 1986
"Designing great cars for an affordable price."
A Canadian Company
Company ID: 1986071
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:38 pm

kithylin wrote:
Millions of people use it at all hours of the day (Remember that's millions), and there wouldn't be such a large user base if it was anything negative about it.

Well, actually, negative aspects are not a deterrent to mass usage by the general public. Twitter, iCloud, Facebook, Windows XP Home (in fact most everything put out by Microsoft), all have serious negative elements associated with them. It certainly has not deterred mass usage. I am not saying Steam suffers from serious security exploits, but your argument is invalid.
<<

imkindapanda

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: sc300 is300

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:06 am

Option 2: Convert ALL keys to Steam and focus on that platform.
<<

chernobyl00

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A 1974 Snapper!

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:56 am

i like option 1 to keep the normal launcher + add v6 engine
<<

esseresse

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2012 Ford Escape V6 AWD

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:35 am

What ever makes Develpnet easier and faster for the team works with me.
<<

darthv53

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2004 GTO

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:50 am

option 1 If that is not possible Please do what Hillybilly ask option 3 maybe make a box copy for the people or leave it the way it is and updates on your website Please make everyone happy
<<

Borobej

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Lancia Kappa 2.0t 20v

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:28 am

Sorry about that 'backstab' from earlier. English is not my native language and I didn't know that this word may have such negative meaning. It just boiled my blood when I saw that a project for which I was hoping for many years (since good old Detroit possibly?) is taking a turn only a bit better then shutting down - from my point of view of course.

One thing that Daffyflyer mentioned seems to clarify things for me. As I am not much into a multiplayer in general, I didn't realise that this may be such a big problem. Yes, I see that going for Steam may be the best solution here - not too hard and still of good quality. And if there's a chance to get the launcher only limited to single player then I'm into it.

VicVictory wrote:Clearly you do not produce a good or service yourself that you distribute through an electronic medium, or you would never make such a statement.

I do (not games, book). What you just said is tantamount to "I'd like to buy your books directly through you, because Amazon is a middleman, and that's stupid to go through them". Quite the opposite. Going through Amazon makes my market and audience so much larger it's ridiculous, and it would be stupid of me NOT to use them.

Pretty much the same here with Automation and Steam.

Do you sell e-books or normal ones? Because there are a lot of differences between physical book (or any other good) and any e-thing, be it a game, book or picture. From my past experience I can tell you that very few people can handle it. One of the most silly things I heard were words of some book publisher about e-books. He was wondering how can they be cheaper than normal books if he have to manually scan the book, then convert pictures to pdf or something and then publish it - that's a lot of additional work, isn't it? Quite obviously he didn't know how printing a book looks today, poor thing. ;)
And as we're about the middleman problem, there are cases when such agent is needed and cases when he's not - and I see the latter ones just too often.
<<

JamesMiller

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: xsara vtr

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:17 am

Well, luckily Borobecj your opinion of steam is a minority. Steam is an excellent service. If it wasn't , i wouldnt have amassed a 300+ game collect on there since i first downloaded it over 8 years ago. I can uderstand you wanting to pay the developer directly - that's fine. But if the developer decides to publish a game on steam,. then why is this still a problem for you? its good enough for the devs, it should be good enough for you.

Steam is absolutely the way to go. Looking forward to it, personally.
<<

stormtrooper666

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Bugatti Veyron

Hennessy Venom GT

Ferrari 458 Italia

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:15 am

I think option two is the best because it saves working on both launchers and it you don't have a steam account make one it takes five minutes
Storm's cars are storming cars

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3952
Come visit Storm's Cars today
<<

Lucdeluc

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Iveco

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 pm

I know that its easy to say... but keeping "some" independance can be necessarily.
<<

12dude20one

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 36 ford coupe

Post Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 am

Steam doesn't work for me and some of my friend what about people like me who spent money on your game to help support it? So you guys are just going to leave us and ignore us? I'm sure that there is other people who are looking at now or in the future that cant get access to steam. I think that steam is good for you guys but you should still release an independent launcher.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 am

12dude20one wrote:Steam doesn't work for me and some of my friend what about people like me who spent money on your game to help support it? So you guys are just going to leave us and ignore us? I'm sure that there is other people who are looking at now or in the future that cant get access to steam. I think that steam is good for you guys but you should still release an independent launcher.

Looks like ideally we'll have both, but Multiplayer is probably not going to work in the non-steam version, as we'll need steam's servers to do multiplayer well.

Out of interest, what prevents Steam from working for you?
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

spavatch

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '97 Fiat Punto GT
and some more Italians ;)

Post Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 am

It's sad to see another independent production become dependent... :(
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 am

spavatch wrote:It's sad to see another independent production become dependent... :(

Dependant because we're selling it through something other than our own dodgy website infrastructure? It's not like Valve has any control over the actual development process or anything..
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
PreviousNext

Return to News