FAQ  •  Login

Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Moderator: zeussy

Poll ended at Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 pm

What do you think about completely converting to Steam, getting rid of the stand-alone launcher?

That’s fine, I would prefer Steam anyway.
82%
That’s inconvenient, but okay when it helps development.
12%
That’s not an option for me; I want/need a stand-alone launcher.
7%

Total votes : 888
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 pm

Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Hey Automationeers!

As you probably know, game development is progressing nicely and it won’t be long until Automation is released within the Early Access program of Steam. This version will include the feature complete, yet not content complete versions of the engine and car designer. In case you wonder what more things will be in this version compared to the current public release, please refer to this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/_CcFAQ-FGSc

With us moving onto Steam, there is the question what to do with our own game launcher and the possibility to have the game completely independent of Steam. So far the plans have been to keep the launcher as a separate option, but that doesn’t come with advantages only. So here we get to the point: You as our customer, weighing in the advantages and disadvantages of the two options, what would you prefer?

Option 1: Have the Steam version separately and retain the independent launcher.
This option has the advantage that everyone gets what he or she wants. People who can’t be on Steam or do not want to be on Steam can use the standard game launcher. People who prefer or do not mind Steam get their game keys converted into Steam keys. The disadvantage of this is that we need to maintain the launcher and separate databases, while making sure that players still can play multiplayer and communicate, independent of what platform they use. This takes away development time that could be spent on getting out the game quicker or to higher quality.

Option 2: Convert ALL keys to Steam and focus on that platform.
This option has the advantage that we can focus our efforts more on the game and its Steam implementation, rather than compatibility and refurbishing of our old launcher. It probably saves time and gives the better end product, but only on Steam. The disadvantage is that this means some people will have to create yet another account to keep track of.

We gladly clarify any of these things and encourage you to discuss the topic in this thread. Again, nothing has been decided yet and we would value your feedback in the matter.

Cheers!
/Killrob
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Vw Golf 3 TDI

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

I would go so far as to say that most people on this forum have a steam account anyway. Some may have had the Steam account before they even heard of Automation. And i think it is overall the better solution to go Steam only because like you said, you don't have to work on two game versions at the same time.
Let's talk about how Automation reaches more new users. Currently, because we're not on Steam yet, the only way is one person who already owns Automation telling another person how awesome the game is and that they should consider checking it out, whether on Facebook, or by talking to a friend personally, or through some other form of communication. But when the game is on Steam, people can still do that, in addition to Steam advertising the game. Steam has millions of users and a big part of those who like car-related games will enjoy Automation. On a side note, it would be awesome to have AutomationHub completed before the Steam release so that when the game comes out on Steam, people will have Steam to keep them updated about future patches/news etc., they will have the forums for additional communication and support if they have any questions, and they'll have AutomationHub for sharing and discussing their car designs, sharing videos and so on.

I think Steam only is the best solution because, let's be honest, it's not a big effort to create a Steam account because it takes less than 5 minutes and it's free.

Greets,
Tom
<<

KimJongIl

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Mazda Rx8
1974 Porsche 911 Turbo

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:32 pm

steam all the way. Don't waste time and resources on the few people who are so terribly worried about their privacy and what not. Just don't save your creditcard information on steam ;)
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sportiva

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:40 pm

I like steam, I think it's a great way to buy and manage your game library. It also makes rebuild that bit easier to stomach.
I like it allows for offline play, manages game updates and the workshop is a great way to get mods which will also update if subscribed.
It's a good way to share and discover content too and I believe they have a sale on occasion.
<<

cookiecrimble

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: TOYOTA COROLLA

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:57 pm

I would say to go down the road of Steam if that means the game quality is going to be much better.

I was reserved about going over to Steam in the past. But once I accepted, I have to say I haven't really experienced any problems with it to date.
<<

mackalas

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Audi A4 2.8 Quattro (B5)

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Do steam. I cant wait for tycoon version. Just building gets boring over time...
<<

boxanata

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Foot Falcon

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Option 2: Convert ALL keys to Steam and focus on that platform.
<<

Trustee

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Steam. It's a great platform. It will greatly extend the market reach of the game too.

Keep up the fantastic work. Can't wait for early access and the full release.
<<

ratonbox

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Peugeot 207 1.4 16V 2008

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:18 pm

I don't think a game launcher should be a priority for the team right now, so focusing completely on Steam is the best way forward.
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:35 pm

To be dead honest, converting fully to steam would not be the most convenient option for myself. But, if it helps further the progress of the game, which it very well might, I have no problem with the devs doing that.
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:37 pm

I'd also be interested to know for the people who are going to find Steam a problem, what it is about Steam that won't work for them, and if its something we can work around.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Zap

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: I used to own these classics:
1968 Camaro SS/RS 396ci
1969 Impala SS 427ci
1954 custom Ford Sunliner.

Now I own a Dodge Neon. :)

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:45 pm

all Steam for sure.
Option #2
<<

Coolghost

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: VW Polo 86c2f 1.4D -93
Lincoln Continental III -68
MB 450SE 4.5 V8 -77
Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3T -01
Volvo 960E -91

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:35 pm

Number 2 for mad profits
<<

kotysoft

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 pm

To reach bigger audience: STEAM and STANDALONE

Honestly I'm using but don't like these kind of markets where I must to download a client to play (like Origin or Steam). Both has server issues many time, slowing down, unavailable...
And torrent guys cracking steam games in no time, and 1 day later it's already available on torrent sites...

I'm not a game developer and I know nothing about it, but imho a kind of double authentication can be a solution. Just like at old games, like Battlefield 2 (before Origin) or Age of Empires . You could play single player and LAN multiplayer, but a (unified) multiplayer account needed to play online.

If Automation has double authentication with a single (Chamsaftsoftware) database, you can reach bigger audience (including some torrent guys who buys later your game).

Yes, I'm waiting the game really much, but if need more time to develop this kind of own database, you should consider to do it. Think on future possibilities.. Maybe it is not planned but what if you want to make a version to different platform in future?
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:49 pm

kotysoft wrote:Honestly I'm using but don't like these kind of markets where I must to download a client to play (like Origin or Steam). Both has server issues many time, slowing down, unavailable...

On that point, I'd suspect that our small and cheap server infrastructure will be FAR less reliable than Steam's multi million dollar infrastructure.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
Next

Return to News