Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:50 pm

First Car, 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer

This is my first car, at the age of 16. It is a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer, LS. In my eyes, it wears white very. very well... some cars don't. This one does. It is my daily driver, and pretty much every kind of driver, since it's the only car that is mine. My friends have already christened it "The Yeti", which I am a fan of. It's appropriate, too, since the car weighs 5,550 pounds. Im sorry if I just made any Europeans faint :p

I got this car after the car I was looking at, a Mercury Gran Marquis, was sold before I got there. I then looked at an Altima, which was mortally ill with engine knock. Several cars later, it was this, or a Nissan Sentra. I went with this. There was also a Vue but... the Vue's interior sucked. This car served the county before I got it, so there was no maintenance needed from me besides a thermostat... the dealer took care of that. There are a few dings and dents, but nothing very noticeable. The interior is perfect, aside from a broken door handle (my fault) and a broken middle console. Both minor issues, however.

It has a 4.2 liter I6 in it, which, according to factory specs, puts out roundabout 290 horsepower, though that is at 6,000 RPM. I rarely push her over 2,000. Ive done it once, though! Also, 270 feet-pounds torque at 4,800 RPM.

Anyways...

Drive

This car drives kind of like it has the spirit of a dog. That is the best way I can say it. It doesn't feel raw, it feels very buffered, and very, very obedient. This kind of car is not for those that want an untamed beast. The steering is fairly sharp, and the acceleration is good. If I boot it it does have a noticeable launch to it. It has plenty of power, certainly no sports car, but it's not sluggish.

The ride is smooth and soft, with minimal bouncing and sway. Well suited for roads.

Also, just a bonus, the sound is AMAZING. Im pretty sure that's how Snow White here got my heart, was when the salesman started it. It has a lovely growl.

Looks

This one was more iffy. The styling... it had to grow on me. Ive always been iffy on the mid 2000s Chevrolet styling, since those cars had a lot of curves and sharp swoops. I hate those kinda things, hence why most cars today are ugly to me. I digress. It took me a bit but I am liking the appearance now, as the grill and front fascia aren't as curvy as some other models of a similar time. I also really like the rear of the car, the various trim pieces contrast well and the tail lights are sweet. The rear fenders also bulge a bit, giving this car some absolutely lovely "hips". The rear side and rear center windows are darkly tinted, and the front ones are clear only because that is the law in Kansas.

Economy/Practicality/Comfort

Oops. 18 MPG combined city/highway. This is kinda where this car falls down. Also, seven quarts of oil. As expected this car is not the easiest to park, but it's not that bad. There are also not that many blindspots around it. The cargo space is good, and the rear seats do fold down flat... if you get a bit rough with it, that is. The interior's space usage is odd... under one rear seat is the fusebox, under the other is a spare tool kit. The method for folding the seats is rough and kinda strange but... it works. It's also pretty comfy, there's enough legroom and the seats feel good. Rear aircon is a good touch.

More pics:

Side View

Rear. Yes, I blacked out the plate in Paint.

If it is possible, I might black out the lights, add a grill guard (big cage bumper), convert the fixtures to LED, change the rims, and add nerf bars or running boards. That is only if I somehow get the funds and knowledge to do that, though.