<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Citroën Saxo, Mazda 2

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:56 am

Re: 2007 Toyota Prius/Anti-Car/Whatever you want to call it

LOL Jakgoe, thats the first thing I thought about when reading her reply! :P
Founder of AutomationHub, for all your Automation needs!
Please visit us at: http://www.automationhub.net
Like our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/automationhub
Our livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/automationhub
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Toyota GT86 Giallo, Citroen 2CV6 Spécial

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:39 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a petrolhead, an enthusiast, whatever. I would like something with a bit of poke, but I have to pay £1.30 a litre for petrol, (about $2.20, I think). Since I've started doing a lot of miles, and combined with the essentially free road tax on a Prius, it makes sense as a commuter car. It also helps that it is a pretty nice car, if not the most interesting to most people.
<<

Slim Jim

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe, 6-speed manual

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:13 am

adamd wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm still a petrolhead, an enthusiast, whatever. I would like something with a bit of poke, but I have to pay £1.30 a litre for petrol, (about $2.20, I think). Since I've started doing a lot of miles, and combined with the essentially free road tax on a Prius, it makes sense as a commuter car. It also helps that it is a pretty nice car, if not the most interesting to most people.

Wow... that's about $8.30/gallon... twice what I just paid for premium (93AKI)!
<<

Drake

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1986 Ford F-250 Diesel, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 2002 Saab 9-3 SE

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:39 am

Jakgoe wrote:
07CobaltGirl wrote:I should add, not hating on Prius or their drivers. Unless they start telling me how much of a gas guzzler my little Cobalt is. Then I rev the motor to hurt their feelings. hahaha

Like this?

Hehe.. Me and my Brother love doing this to prius drivers, especially when they are driving like douches.. Both our sports cars have no cats, so lots of uncatalyzed exhaust gets blown at the prius as we blow past them.. We call it crop dusting :lol:
<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Drake wrote:We call it crop dusting :lol:

THIS. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:32 pm

<<

gt1cooper

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1969 Mustang GT
2014 Ram 1500 Hemi
2009 Infiniti M35s
2014 VW CC
2013 BMW 640i

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:50 pm

I'm guessing that it is still going strong, chugging along? Any plans for any improvements? Or just keeping it steady?
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:04 am

Yeah, still going alright (it's a Toyota :P). Done about 5500 miles or so now, got 63.6mpg over my last tank.

I'm not really set on any improvements as of yet, currently just considering some subtle stuff like yellow foglights, maybe some small vinyl stickers on the doors.

Also tempted to take the wheelcovers off to show the rims underneath, but I quite like the current two tone look of the wheels, and I don't really want to risk damaging them. Haven't really thought of much beyond that yet.
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:26 am

Decided to try and get some artsy photos today. I went for the "unwashed highway cruiser" look, before anyone comments on how manky it is. :P

IMG_20140812_165650.jpg
IMG_20140812_165650.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 6625 times

IMG_20140812_165454.jpg
IMG_20140812_165454.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 6625 times

IMG_20140812_165334.jpg
IMG_20140812_165334.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6625 times
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:00 am

**makes a note to get adamd a garden hose, bucket, and wash-mitt for xmas**

Looks good! :D
<<

Fir3Inf3rno

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Mazda RX7 Spirit R
Toyota Prius (Chopped!)

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Lol My Mum Drives One Of Those :)
<<

Fir3Inf3rno

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Mazda RX7 Spirit R
Toyota Prius (Chopped!)

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Hey Isnt Toyota's Service Really Good?
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:28 am

The dealer I got the Prius from has been excellent. The Toyota dealer I used in the past for my old car messed up a simple job that meant it had to go back 5 times, but they bent over backwards to help and sort it out.
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:49 am

After about 3 hours today (and about 3/4 months of waiting) the Prius is once again clean.
P9070448_small.jpg
P9070448_small.jpg (358.4 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
<<

jhgfertrewwfg2

Cars: A Nissan Pulsar and an Audi A3

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:40 am

adamd wrote:Well guys, further to my previous thread, I now have a a 2007 Gen 2 Prius T-Spirit. :D
prius.jpg

Colour is Aztec Bronze. (I'm not sure why I blanked the plate, this picture is one of the top results on Google Images, but is my car...)

I've had it a week tomorrow, and in that time I have done about 400 miles. Going from the basic, manual Daihatsu to this, I wasn't sure how I'd like it. Answer is, as a commuter car I think it's fantastic, and the Prius gets an unfairly bad reputation, be it because of the Prius driver stereotype or what, I don't know. I'll quickly run through the main points of what I have found so far.

Performance
It seems to be a common theory that the Prius is slow. By UK standards at least, this is not true. Keeps up easily with everything else, and the instant torque of the electric motor means it can really shift off the mark if you need it to. There's a little bit of a sort of flat spot around 30-33MPH as the engine starts doing it's thing over the motor if you take it too easy, but you can easily power through it. If you really hammer it, it acts like a traditional CVT and brings the revs up to 4500-4800, and if you don't mind the noise you can hustle it along pretty well.

Handling
It's not a sportscar, but I didn't expect it to be. The steering has the typical Toyota lightness, but still provides reasonable feedback, and it's nice in tight spaces or car parks and manages to make the car feel very easily manouverable. It remains well composed over rough or bumpy ground, or when pushing along a country lane, but some body roll is present. Brakes are also fantastic, with it having regenerative braking at the lower end combined with usual disc brakes, it can really stop very quickly.

Comfort/Refinement
There are two main things you notice, incredible smoothness, and incredible quietness. Pulling away you can do just on electric, so it's very quiet and very smooth. Getting up to 30MPH can be done on just electric assuming the battery is charged and there are no steep hills, but even with the engine on, you can barely tell it's there. Once you are up to speed and cruising, the engine drops to the lowest RPM possible to maintain speed, and if you are on a flat road, stops completely. For example, on the motorway near where I work there is a 50MPH limit, and it will happily sit at 50 with cruise control set, just on electric alone. Obviously, any hills and the engine is called back into action. Sound insulation is excellent, with road noise being very well dulled down and wind noise being almost none-existent. Engine noise is only heard when really pushing on. Seats are big, comfortable and supportive, with tons of space for all passengers. Ride is good, and it takes bumps very well in my opinion, and never feels unsettled.

General
In general, I think the Prius is a pretty excellent car. The smoothness, comfort and ease of driving in poor traffic alone makes it great for me when commuting, and makes the car lovely to drive. Sure, it's not a typical choice of car for a petrolhead, but as anyone who knows me knows, I'm a Toyota nutter anyway, so it seemed an excellent choice. I also appreciate the gadgets, and the list of them fitted is massive. The JBL stereo sounds great, the reverse camera is very helpful, and the voice control and self-parking features are nifty extra novelties (Video of self parking to come later. :P).

As I said earlier, I think some of the bad image a lot of people seem to have of the Prius is either from the stereotype of Prius drivers, or just that they are perceived as different. I don't think they are going to save all the trees, but if it is just treat like every other mid-size car I think it is a pretty compelling alternative to a diesel of the same size. It's low emissions mean in the UK it costs almost nothing to tax, and is exempt from things like the congestion charge. Fuel economy is also proving to be relatively good:
mpg.jpg

This was after my normal commute home, and while you could probably get the same out of a small engined diesel car of the same size, the diesel won't be as smooth or as quiet, and petrol is quite a bit cheaper than diesel here currently. I'm sure I could also get more out of it if I tried, I haven't tried to learn any of the special techniques yet, this is purely just me driving it normally as I would drive anything else.

There's probably more I want to say about it that I can't remember right now, but I think I have written an essay on it already. (And if you have read it this far, thanks, it took me ages. :P) Anyone wanting a solid well built car for general use, I thoroughly recommend you try one. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but if you can get over the potential image issues, there is a great car behind the badge.

If anyone is interested, I will update with better pictures, and how the car does with regards to longevity and reliability. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. :)
That is a nice car (don't judge me, haters) but I think it could do nicely with some aftermarket mods.
PreviousNext

Return to My Ride