FAQ  •  Login

Where'd the SAVE buttons go?

<<

hotrodheart

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Scion FR-S

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 pm

Where'd the SAVE buttons go?

I downloaded the new update, and converted to Steam while I was at it. I noticed that the save buttons were gone.

I ALSO noticed that when I attempt to save an engine to use in another car (as opposed to designing one from scratch) the new engine overwrites the old one.

Is there any workaround?
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Where'd the SAVE buttons go?

The save buttons have been removed because the game now automatically saves everything :)
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Also there is a clone button in the drop-down menus so that you don't overwrite your saves.
<<

hotrodheart

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:42 am

Killrob wrote:Also there is a clone button in the drop-down menus so that you don't overwrite your saves.
When do you have to hit the clone button to avoid overwriting? Also, if I may make an observation, what was wrong with the previous method? "If it ain't broke..."

I just opened up an existing engine, and IMMEDIATELY hit clone, and it still overwrote.

Sorry to repeat, BUT WHY WAS IT NECESSARY TO CHANGE IT? It was perfectly clear, now, complicated.
<<

Killrob

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 am

Build an engine family and a first variant. When done, choose "clone" from the Engine Variant drop-down and select the clone that just was created with a new default name like "Engine Variant 1". You can then modify anything but the first tab of that variant without overwriting the other one.

I have no clue what you mean when you say you open an existing engine and clone it and it still overwrote. Overwrote what? At that point both the original and its clone are identical.

It was necessary to change the system because of how the game will flow in the tycoon mode where you might want to design engines and cars more or less in parallel without losing any progress going between them. Also many people complained in CAPITAL LETTERS, like you, that the system was shit because they accidentally closed the designer and lost all their progress. The new system really isn't complicated and you will probably start to appreciate it once you get used to it. It is far more elegant and flexible than the previous system.
<<

hotrodheart

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 am

Killrob wrote:Build an engine family and a first variant. When done, choose "clone" from the Engine Variant drop-down and select the clone that just was created with a new default name like "Engine Variant 1". You can then modify anything but the first tab of that variant without overwriting the other one.

I have no clue what you mean when you say you open an existing engine and clone it and it still overwrote. Overwrote what? At that point both the original and its clone are identical.

It was necessary to change the system because of how the game will flow in the tycoon mode where you might want to design engines and cars more or less in parallel without losing any progress going between them. Also many people complained in CAPITAL LETTERS, like you, that the system was shit because they accidentally closed the designer and lost all their progress. The new system really isn't complicated and you will probably start to appreciate it once you get used to it. It is far more elegant and flexible than the previous system.

How about you stop whining about capital letters? "Oooh, someone is shouting! I'm not shouting, just giving emphasis.

And trust me, the new save logic is not intuitive. What with writing software for well over 25 years, I have a feel for this kind of thing.

For instance, I see the clone button now (notice no caps) but some explanation before (no caps) might have been useful.

Here's some ointment for the wounds received from the caps.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:56 am

*MJ popcorn .gif* badmouthing one of the Dev team is always the best way to get what you want. 25 years of programming must mean you started when your parents first thought of a kid, because you sound like a 13 year old right now.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

hotrodheart

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 pm

nialloftara wrote:*MJ popcorn .gif* badmouthing one of the Dev team is always the best way to get what you want. 25 years of programming must mean you started when your parents first thought of a kid, because you sound like a 13 year old right now.
I don't have any hope of getting what I want. And as far as your calendar goes, you may want to check it again. As far as badmouthing.... I'm a customer. And if you feel that a customer's opinions mean nothing... I guess that speaks volumes.
<<

Killrob

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Customer opinions do mean a lot to us, hence we communicate with them in a pretty dedicated fashion as you can see from the devs' post counts. Who we don't listen to is customers with such an attitude and entitlement complex as you have shown in your posts.

We definitely need to explain the saving system better though, that I fully agree with and we are aware that this is an issue. That is actually in the works with better tutorial videos about this and better / added tooltips. And no, you won't get the old system back because the new one, once explained properly and used properly is far superior in functionality and UI flow.
<<

darkjedi

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Passat 1.9 TDI 164 PS

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:55 pm

This new saving system is certainly weird, not worse, but weird ... you start working on a car and and build an engine family, then you want to build another engine, but with more valves (from SOHC 8v to SOHC 16v) and discover that you can't and furthermore it's damn easy to screw something up and then you'll have to do everything from the beginning.
<<

Killrob

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:29 pm

The Family / Variant system is a different issue though, a game design decision that is tightly connected to the tycoon part. While it doesn't make much sense yet, it will once the production side of the tycoon is implemented. We will probably include a feature that allows you to clone an entire engine family and for that clone change the first tab, so that all engines are getting the new family characteristics with all sub variants.
<<

hotrodheart

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Killrob wrote:Customer opinions do mean a lot to us, hence we communicate with them in a pretty dedicated fashion as you can see from the devs' post counts. Who we don't listen to is customers with such an attitude and entitlement complex as you have shown in your posts.

We definitely need to explain the saving system better though, that I fully agree with and we are aware that this is an issue. That is actually in the works with better tutorial videos about this and better / added tooltips. And no, you won't get the old system back because the new one, once explained properly and used properly is far superior in functionality and UI flow.
Well, in the debate about the saving system, let's add this wrinkle: What if you want to discard (no caps) the changes that have been made? It happens....
<<

Killrob

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Sure, that is something you already can do. Before you start to make changes you press the Hold button. From then on the side-panel stats are compared to the version you have on hold. If you want to go back to the original you press Revert, while you press hold again to renew the savepoint.
<<

hotrodheart

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 am

Killrob wrote:Sure, that is something you already can do. Before you start to make changes you press the Hold button. From then on the side-panel stats are compared to the version you have on hold. If you want to go back to the original you press Revert, while you press hold again to renew the savepoint.
you're right, that's all much simpler than a save button. well done.
<<

mer_at

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: BMW 325i

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:29 am

I have to agree, that the new system is everything else than intuitive and just too complex - and does NOT offer any help into understanding it.
This needs to be changed later on.

You know what the say about complexity?
The geniality of a system lies in it's simplicity. Everyone can make complex solutions!
Last edited by mer_at on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Support