<<

steelmaniac

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Renault 25 TDX 1990
Volvo Amazon 1.8L 1970

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:26 am

Carburator setups and engine acoustics

Hey there.
I was discussing the ways to cheaply increase power on engines and two things popped up: multi carbs setups and acoustics.
Now, when I mean multi carb, I truly mean carb-per-cylinder, much like on motorcycles. I know DCOE carbs are a thing, but they're expensive, and using 4 single-carbs for an i4 would seem like a much better idea to get cheap power without any bad point from multi-barrel carbs (notably, the slight drop in acceleration you can get in 2 barrel carbs that make the engine have trouble revving up smoothly).
For example, a Ford Sierra 2.0L DOHC makes a jump from 100~ hp to 145~ hp once setup with a bike carb ramp modified so the carb's insides send enough gas to the engine.
I'm sure it would be a great way to have good, powerful, well-responsive and smooth engine for cheap without having to use race-tier parts.
For acoustics, I'd imagine this part would be absolute hell to make into the game, but good acoustics can really make engines reach their full potential (for those who dont know, acoustics is using the engine's vibrations and acoustic waves to make airflow better, both in intake and exhaust). Some intake manifolds setups can produce 0.4 bar of boost on N/A engines (!).
I'd like to know if multi-single carb setups are going to be implemented (12 carb V12s when?) and if acoustics are even feasible.
<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Carburator setups and engine acoustics

About engine acoustics, check the future engine designer revamp video >>> https://youtu.be/JAZP2Rlq43c

Carbs per cylinder sounds nice, but I think the game focuses in the general technology in production cars, so I don't think a carb per cylinder will be a thing in the game.
<<

steelmaniac

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Renault 25 TDX 1990
Volvo Amazon 1.8L 1970

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 pm

I dunno, motorbikes used multi-carbs setups for a while now. And, as I said, it's not like it's anything really out of the ordinary to have multiple single-barrel carbs. It's not exactly high-tech.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:19 pm

DCOEs in game effectively are "carb per cylinder" and the most race oriented setup apart from throttle per cylinder DI.
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:32 am

Carb per cylinder is extremely rare on road cars and the reason is it's more expensive and requires more maintenance and tuning. This is why performance cars tend to go for throttle per cylinder instead of individual carb per cylinder.
On a bike, the added cost and maintenance aren't as much an issue as people expect that with 100-150+ hp per litre in what is practically racing technology anyway.

The reason why in the tuning circles people run bike carbs is they are cheaper when purchased second hand - the DCOEs and DHLAs that were traditionally used have become rare and hence they are more expensive in the second hand market than are the bike carbs which can be found on almost any high-performance bike not made in the 2010s.

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides

Return to Developer Questions