FAQ  •  Login

Partial Aluminium

<<

kalsylum

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:44 am

Partial Aluminium

Untitled-2.png
Untitled-2.png (345.91 KiB) Viewed 9106 times

What is the purpose of choosing partial aluminium in the game? Not much lighter than CR steel panels, but more expensive than full aluminium panels.

I am trying to reduce the weight of my 4.56 meters long compact sedan. Using CR steel panels are making my car overweight compared to real life similarly sized & priced sedans (i.e. Civic, Jetta, Cruze, Corolla, etc.) and they aren't using full alum either.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Partial Aluminium

Try going MacPherson on the front, most basic cars like the ones you mentioned have simple struts. There's probably other weight savings you can do on the cars, have you reduced the front and rear overhang on the model? Are you using standard or progressive springs rather that a much heavier active setup?. As for why to use PA, don't quote me here but I think I remember it being mentioned that currently partial aluminum engineering and tooling calculations are too high because of how metal working is done in game it will be reduced as factory costs are worked out and tycoon elements are added.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

kalsylum

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:17 am

nialloftara wrote:Try going MacPherson on the front, most basic cars like the ones you mentioned have simple struts. There's probably other weight savings you can do on the cars, have you reduced the front and rear overhang on the model? Are you using standard or progressive springs rather that a much heavier active setup?. As for why to use PA, don't quote me here but I think I remember it being mentioned that currently partial aluminum engineering and tooling calculations are too high because of how metal working is done in game it will be reduced as factory costs are worked out and tycoon elements are added.

I have shaped the model to be as compact as possible. The model length was originally 4.67m, I have shortened it tp 4.56m. Moving on to MacPherson helps cutting the weight but only by 6-7 kilograms. I am using standard interior, basic entertainment +2, standard safety. In real life, do the real life equivalent considered as basic entertainment and interior or standard?
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:37 am

Click the column title for interior and entertainment and you'll see a description of what they are. As far as your average compact, standard interior would be the norm, though basic (pretty much all plastic interior) would be for budget cars, so that'd be the choice if you're going for the low end of the market. Stereo can vary as well IRL, where the basic unit would be used in the base model, and standard or premium in the high end model.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:07 am

I got to check the "more expensive than full alloy", because if it is, that is a pretty bad bug :) thanks for pointing that out!
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:05 am

strop mentioned it in another tread

No CF. You can go AHS steel if it's available. Fiber glass is horrible for safety and expensive to machine. Currently, using partial alu assumes you have two separate factory processes so is also more expensive than expected.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9335&p=97502&hilit=Partial#p97502
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:46 am

Availability years also matter. Not all material combinations are available for all years so during earlier years you optimize with what is available. I do think the weight difference between C.R.Steel and partial alu body panels should be a bit more though.

EDIT. Developers: What is corrosion-resistant steel in the game though? Is it stainless steel? Since there's a separate option for galvanized steel.

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

kalsylum

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:06 am

TurboJ wrote:Availability years also matter. Not all material combinations are available for all years so during earlier years you optimize with what is available. I do think the weight difference between C.R.Steel and partial alu body panels should be a bit more though.

EDIT. Developers: What is corrosion-resistant steel in the game though? Is it stainless steel? Since there's a separate option for galvanized steel.

It's covered in the tooltip. One is a regular steel, coated with anti corrosion material. While the other is the steel is mixed with anti corrosion material during processing.

Edit: Removed misleading information
Last edited by kalsylum on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:46 am

Mm - I don't believe that's how corrosion-resistant steel works, precisely. Just Googling, I'd guess corrosion-resistant steel is galvanized stainless steel in place of galvanized mild steel.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:11 am

Galvanized steel is regular steel that has beendipped in and electrically coated with usually zinc to resist corrosion. Scratching the surface can remove the galvanization and allow rust. Corrosion resistant steel is a steel alloy that's chemically resistant inherently and the surface and core are equally resistant.
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

Killrob

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:57 am

Correct, nialloftara, and that is the game's intention too.
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:42 am

We should totally have a post 1980 option for galvanised steel sheet body panels.
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:14 pm

NormanVauxhall wrote:We should totally have a post 1980 option for galvanised steel sheet body panels.

Agree 100%. This was one of the big leaps in quality in the '80s IRL (for some manufacturers).

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides

Return to Developer Questions