FAQ  •  Login

Stock Market/ Takeovers

<<

MrK

Cars: Volkswagen Golf 1.4 Mk V

Post Mon May 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Stock Market/ Takeovers

I was just wondering how the team plan to incorporate a stock market system into the game, if at all. Corporate takeovers have featured prominently in motor industry history, especially concerning companies such as Volkswagen and GM, who seem to own over half the mainstream brands in North America. I think a stock market with the ability to invest in, and ultimately take over, rival brands would be a wholly relevant addition to the game.
<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 am

Re: Stock Market/ Takeovers

There is nothing concrete about all this yet, but what we strife for is to have A function stock market (i.e. one for the whole world) where you and all of your competitors are on if you are in the stock market. The taking over of brands is something we'd like to include too, but it is difficult to say where drawing the line is appropriate. It is fun to buy out other companies... but to be bought out after having spent 30h playing the campaign is everything but. :P
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sportiva

Post Tue May 26, 2015 1:45 am

Perhaps a difficulty level, determining how aggressive the AI plays the stock market.

I liked how the stockmarket worked in Railroad Tycoon 3. It was even possible to play the game without setting up a company, just buy and sell shares. I guess that might be a bit too complex though.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Tue May 26, 2015 2:15 am

I wonder if owning significant stock in another company could allow you access to their engine and chassis designs, or allow you to use their stores to sell your cars. If so you could arrange deals of stock and or capital with another company to build a joint factory, like the Toyota/Chevy nummi plant in California, where shared designs can be produced.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

MrK

Cars: Volkswagen Golf 1.4 Mk V

Post Tue May 26, 2015 2:18 am

Killrob wrote:There is nothing concrete about all this yet, but what we strife for is to have A function stock market (i.e. one for the whole world) where you and all of your competitors are on if you are in the stock market. The taking over of brands is something we'd like to include too, but it is difficult to say where drawing the line is appropriate. It is fun to buy out other companies... but to be bought out after having spent 30h playing the campaign is everything but. :P

That could factor into how risky a strategy you want to pursue. Say for example, you begin with 100% ownership of the company. If you want to fund increased production via the issuing of shares there is obviously the risk that a big rival is going to come in and scoop them up. Alternatively, keep control and expand at a slower rate through existing reserves or via bankloans, which would nullify the risk to the business, assuming you don't default on a loan. I wouldn't mind betting that most business sim fans would appreciate the challenge involved.
<<

PMP1337

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Fiat Brava

Post Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

Killrob wrote:There is nothing concrete about all this yet, but what we strife for is to have A function stock market (i.e. one for the whole world) where you and all of your competitors are on if you are in the stock market. The taking over of brands is something we'd like to include too, but it is difficult to say where drawing the line is appropriate. It is fun to buy out other companies... but to be bought out after having spent 30h playing the campaign is everything but. :P

Depends, if you can start another company with that money might be fun. E.g. I'm tired of the brand I created and want to create a new one without throwing all the work in the garbage.
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sportiva

Post Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:41 pm

PMP1337 wrote:Depends, if you can start another company with that money might be fun. E.g. I'm tired of the brand I created and want to create a new one without throwing all the work in the garbage.

Again from one of the railroad tycoons, you had separate company and personal finances. You could by and sell shares independently of the company and be a "robber Baron" You could even be ousted as CEO from your company by the board if you owned less than 50%, but depending on your finances you could buy into a rival or setup a new one.

It was an interesting dynamic. I do remember one game where I had made a poor starting choice for my 1st company, was ousted and managed to start up a modest rival that eventually was able to expand and takeover my original company. It felt gooood :D
<<

PMP1337

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Fiat Brava

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:40 am

maffc wrote:
PMP1337 wrote:Depends, if you can start another company with that money might be fun. E.g. I'm tired of the brand I created and want to create a new one without throwing all the work in the garbage.

Again from one of the railroad tycoons, you had separate company and personal finances. You could by and sell shares independently of the company and be a "robber Baron" You could even be ousted as CEO from your company by the board if you owned less than 50%, but depending on your finances you could buy into a rival or setup a new one.

It was an interesting dynamic. I do remember one game where I had made a poor starting choice for my 1st company, was ousted and managed to start up a modest rival that eventually was able to expand and takeover my original company. It felt gooood :D

That seems very interesting. If I didn't thought railroad was boring I might enjoy that game just for the corporal aspect alone.

People here worry about something but for a player not wanting anything to do with it he simply could not sell shares. Basically, it's an option that unless you use it, it won't affect the game.

Return to Developer Questions