FAQ  •  Login

[Tycoon] Tech tree and R&D

<<

PMP1337

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Fiat Brava

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 am

[Tycoon] Tech tree and R&D

So, I was making my '55 sportscar and was thinking to myself, why isn't there mechanical injection here? Mechanical injection was used during WW2 on planes and in '55 mercedes used it on the Gullwing. Then I remembered when someone made a aw11 replica and multi-point wasn't available and he had to use another year for the engine.
So I thought. These technical options should be unlocked either by R&D via a tech tree or both has components externally. For example, for the injection and carburettor components and the brakes.
Having a tech tree forces the players to specialize creating more identity to their brand and more options to make in term of investing you money. Do you invest in technology or prefer to buy the component some time after and for a cost higher than if you'll have research it.
Let me exemplify:
............................../---->ABS--->Stability Control
Drum brakes--->solid disc--->vented discs--->ceramic discs
...............................\--->multiple pistons

"I have to research all that crap to make a supercar with ceramic discs?" No, there should be a historical year when the research is made available(in cases where you need something external to make something, like electronic for the ABS) and another year for when the component becomes available on the market, either at the current game years for that or 2 years after the first player researched it.

Also instead of linear research you should have theoretical and practical research. If you don't dish out cars with the innovations you don't get practical.
<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:20 am

Re: [Tycoon] Tech tree and R&D

..... :shock:

Thats more of a relevance for the tycoon/campaign mode, and we will see how that buffs out in the next months. Right now there is only the tech-point system, but that will be linked with somehting like a tech-tree in the tycoon mode. In the Sandbox the game only 'unlock' parts when they were common to that specific times.
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:43 am

Yep, all the times at which things unlock currently are the time they become available to everyone, without research. In the tycoon game people will be using things quite a bit earlier if they're researching hard in that area.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

PMP1337

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Fiat Brava

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26 pm

pyrlix wrote:..... :shock:

Thats more of a relevance for the tycoon/campaign mode, and we will see how that buffs out in the next months. Right now there is only the tech-point system, but that will be linked with somehting like a tech-tree in the tycoon mode. In the Sandbox the game only 'unlock' parts when they were common to that specific times.

Read the title again. It clearly states that this suggestion is for the tycoon. I tag all my suggestions so people can identify what I meant them for, or so I thought.
<<

ArnRno

Cars: 2002 Impreza
1962 Super 88

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread - but GM used mechanical fuel injection in the 50s as well - I think it was the 1957 Corvette that had Hillborn injection as an option.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Yes, so what?

There is techpool, aka R&D, which will make advanced tech come early if you spend enough cash.
<<

ArnRno

Cars: 2002 Impreza
1962 Super 88

Post Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:08 am

Just sharing another example is all.

FWIW, the system was basically a flop; Hillborn Injection is really good at running an engine at idle, and WOT, but not great in between - great for race cars, not great for road cars.

Return to Suggestions