FAQ  •  Login

Workaround: Saving Problems

<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:30 am

Workaround: Saving Problems

Yes, the save function is still bugged in a pretty bad way and won't be fixed until the next big update, which isn't too far off.

There is at least one reliable workaround to these problems (which are very annoying for both you and us, as it's really hard to track what's going on). I have not lost a single car since the recent update and it seems to be the following procedure that ensures that.

Building a new model, first trim:
Build a rough version of your car to completion first, test it on the final testing page.
Go back into the engine designer, final testing tab. Name the engine family and variant. Hit the save button. (This step might not be necessary)
Go to the final testing tab and name your model and trim. Hit the save button.
Continue to modify the car to your liking; before quitting, go to the final testing page and hit save again.

Building a trim after the first:
Clone your first trim using the clone function in the drop-down menu.
Select this trim, but first name it when on the final testing page after updating all the aspects you want. Hit the save button.
Continue to modify the car to your liking; before quitting, go to the final testing page and hit save again.

As a rule of thumb: only name a model, trim, family or variant after the whole thing is done in its first iteration. Don't bother designing it visually in the first go, just finish a rough draft before putting more "work" in. Once the rough draft is done and saved, just modify it as you like, always end with going to the final testing page (of engine designer for engines, of car designer for cars) and hit the save button.

Note: Unfortunately this does not work for cars that are experiencing the bug on loading already.

Hope that helps, cheers!
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:15 am

Re: Workaround: Saving Problems

Hm? I thought that was intentional for a bit. The only cars that get deleted for me are cars without names. It kinda helps a lazy person like me who's sandbox was cluttered with unfinished messes.
My engine room on the other hand.. Well.. Rest in pepperoni.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

Killrob

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:02 am

That is a good point :) maybe we should provide a "Delete all unnamed, unused cars / engines" button in the managers to offer a bit of a cleaning service.
<<

Xalpen

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 am

Hmm, idk if reported, but tried to make it just like in first post, but once i exited game and turned it on again, my last made 2 trims names are back to default trim 1.

+ "---------------------------
Lua Error:
---------------------------
tolua++ dbcall failed!: [string "--SANDBOX_DATA\CCarCalculator_IO.lua..."]:518: attempt to index field 'Body' (a nil value)" happend for 1 model that i didnt even touched nor saved today.
<<

Killrob

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Are you sure you followed the steps exactly? I've added a line to each of the procedures to make them more clear. Have another go. :)
<<

Xalpen

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Yup, just did it again. Named model "Something" and trim 22. After turning on game again its "Something" "Car Trim 1" <- Following all steps.

Tho its not that bad, i can name it again, because after naming it 2nd time its permament. Im more worried about "tolua++ dbcall failed!: [string "--SANDBOX_DATA\CCarCalculator_IO.lua..."]:518: attempt to index field 'Body' (a nil value)" upon trying to load model, since it makes me unable to use model i spent lots of time on.
<<

Killrob

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Once affected by the bug, these models / trims don't seem salvageable unfortunately :( the only way to not get the bug is to not get into that situation in the first place.
<<

Xalpen

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Hmm... Probably not related to that bug with loading, but looks like rims offset sometimes doubles, or its higher than possible with current trim. Could it cause some errors while saving? (Looking at unusal things, it might be nonsense) Have it recorded to explain if my english sucks too much.

Btw, would it be possible to add tooltip with max tire width in tab with colour and drive type? Currently its kinda blindly trying to get numbers i want. :P (Dont want to spam new topics)
<<

Killrob

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:29 pm

I don't think the offset jumping causes any bigger issues.
You do get the maximum wheel width on the chassis tab AFTER selecting the suspensions when you return the view to full visibility of the car and then morph the wheel arches :)
<<

Xalpen

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Oh, i meant 4th tab with 2 car icons. :P Atm when im trying to make 2nd trim tyres a bit wider i need to morph it in 4th tab(with 2 car icon), upload trim, move to 2nd tab to check if width is as i want, if not i need to repeat. If tooltip from 2nd tab would apear upon morphing in 4th tab it would make it easier, atleast it looks like it for me, but maybe i dont get something. :P
<<

bullko

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1970 Ford XY Fairmont (project car)
1998 Ford AU Falcon (Daily)

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 pm

My cars are being saved by this method, but every time I load the cars there are no fixtures whatsoever. Just a bare shell.. with an engine.

EDIT* Corrected after placing fixtures in the second fixtures slot rather than the first.
Founder of Vinter Auto Company
Established on November 22nd, 1932

Company Headquarters: Melbourne, Australia

Company slogan: "Vinter. True Automotive Engineering"

Car Company Number: #1932127
<<

mer_at

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: BMW 325i

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 am

How should we save (without corrupt everything) and already saved car?

E.g. when you change settings alot, and then finally got it right. How do we save it then?
Because that's the part, where it always corrupts the lua files, or just doesnt save everything.
<<

Killrob

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:08 am

When loading and modifying a car it should be saving correctly if you:
1) make your changes
2) when you're done, go to the final testing page
3) hit the save button
4) exit by closing the designer window via the cross

If you make changes to an engine, make sure to visit the final testing tab of the engine and hit save there.
Again, please note that will only work with cars that didn't get corrupted before.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:19 am

Killrob wrote:Yes, the save function is still bugged in a pretty bad way and won't be fixed until the next big update, which isn't too far off.

There is at least one reliable workaround to these problems (which are very annoying for both you and us, as it's really hard to track what's going on). I have not lost a single car since the recent update and it seems to be the following procedure that ensures that.

Building a new model, first trim:
Build a rough version of your car to completion first, test it on the final testing page.
Go back into the engine designer, final testing tab. Name the engine family and variant. Hit the save button. (This step might not be necessary)
Go to the final testing tab and name your model and trim. Hit the save button.
Continue to modify the car to your liking; before quitting, go to the final testing page and hit save again as many times as possible before you get tired.

Building a trim after the first:
Clone your first trim using the clone function in the drop-down menu.
Select this trim, but first name it when on the final testing page after updating all the aspects you want. Hit the save button.

As a rule of thumb: only name a model, trim, family or variant after the whole thing is done in its first iteration. Don't bother designing it visually in the first go, just finish a rough draft before putting more "work" in. Once the rough draft is done and saved, just modify it as you like, always end with going to the final testing page (of engine designer for engines, of car designer for cars) and hit the save button.

Note: Unfortunately this does not work for cars that are experiencing the bug on loading already.

Hope that helps, cheers!

I've an addition to your steps which worked for me finally.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:33 pm

So on two different cars I have this problem, I made the entire car, no errors or anything, gotten to the end, saved it, then opened it and altered something in the chassis tab. It was the quality sliders for one and suspension type for the other, no combination of buttons I've found have let me save that changed permanently. I can exit out to the main menu, reload the car in sandbox and its fine, but if I close the game and relaunch it the changes are gone+, same with exporting it. I have hit save on every screen, I have reset the trim visuals to the model, gone to the testing tab of ever section, run it on the test tracks but no change will survive that game session, changes in the trim tabs and engine tabs stay but not the chassis tab.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
Next

Return to Support