FAQ  •  Login

Holy F*cking shit the Bugatti Chiron!

<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Holy F*cking shit the Bugatti Chiron!

strop wrote:Pagabi for your inner 12yo? I'm not entirely convinced. What does that make koenigsegg?

A pretty shoddy built, high chance of never being delivered car with a highly modified v8 and a bland design?
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:53 am

squidhead wrote:
strop wrote:Pagabi for your inner 12yo? I'm not entirely convinced. What does that make koenigsegg?

A pretty shoddy built, high chance of never being delivered car with a highly modified v8 and a bland design?

Koenigsegg shoddily built? Have you seen one live? I do agree on the design though, it's very aged by now.

Back on topic, the Chiron does look good, although the now fashionable "all mesh" rear doesn't work as well as the front end.
But the world has really gone mad with Bugatti and Koenigsegg both now offering 1500 hp. I mean ***** - 1500 HP FFS.
That's 110% irrelevant power.

One more comment on the performance of the Veyron and likely the Chiron. While journalists did liken its handling to a TT,
the fact remains the Veyron was and is actually very quick on a race track. I don't like how it and the new Chiron are massively
overweight but there's no denying the engineers have been able to extract massive performance despite all that weight.

On a supercar I would personally love a more Chapman / Murray -like philosophy of light weight and responsiveness rather
than these silly 1000+ hp monsters. Something with 1000 kg and 600 hp could probably kick Chiron ass on most circuits as well
as have much more potential for better ride and handling. However, my personal favourite supercar still is the Bugatti EB110.
It had excellent all-round performance but wasn't yet mad like today's Bugattis. It's sad how hypercars have become so irrelevant
of late. But I guess it's inevitable as hypercars have always been about headline numbers to a large degree...

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

squidhead

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:58 am

TurboJ wrote:Koenigsegg shoddily built? Have you seen one live? I do agree on the design though, it's very aged by now.

You can look closer at the interior pics of the regera on this years Geneva to see how a 1.5m car has panel gaps, wires hanging, uncovered bolts that hold interior panels to the frame etc etc etc.
Or just get a statement from this guy, who actually owned one... sort of... cause it was barely delivered, well it wasn't, he was allowed for a few drives in one after buying it.
http://jalopnik.com/former-koenigsegg-o ... -489316580
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:43 am

squidhead wrote:
TurboJ wrote:Koenigsegg shoddily built? Have you seen one live? I do agree on the design though, it's very aged by now.

You can look closer at the interior pics of the regera on this years Geneva to see how a 1.5m car has panel gaps, wires hanging, uncovered bolts that hold interior panels to the frame etc etc etc.
Or just get a statement from this guy, who actually owned one... sort of... cause it was barely delivered, well it wasn't, he was allowed for a few drives in one after buying it.

Yeah that story is interesting but even if the company was wrong in their statement in this case it would still be just one car (and the Regera is a pre-production prototype, isn't it?). But most footage and commentary
on Koenigsegg's cars have been so overwhelmingly positive I have my doubts about build quality being bad. But I must say I haven't had a real close look at one personally so I can't verify what all of press are saying.

More on this on-going hp madnesss:

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where this current horsepower war leads to. In the late '60s people were scared with muscle cars having 400 horsepower. We now have nearly 4 times as much and yet there's
more traffic than ever before. And while I haven't driven a real hypercar myself, I have to wonder what is the point in putting 1500 hp on a road car. And one of these monsters is rear-wheel drive only!
That has to mean there is wheel spin under full acceleration even at 200+ km/h. Why put as much power in a car if you must have traction control limiting that power every time you step on the accelerator?

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:05 am

squidhead wrote:

Because you can trust a jalopnik article with its font being an anonymous forum without any pictures. You know, I have a clock for sale...

Even if the press note is real, which given it is jalopnik isn't a certainty, seems like the buyer was a massive cunt. You should see videos of Christian von Koenigsegg, he is passionate in such a heart-warming way about his cars, much like Horacio Pagani, it's impossible to hate them.
<<

squidhead

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:28 am

Leonardo9613 wrote:seems like the buyer was a massive cunt.

Ofcourse he is, he's also acting entitled and is displaying an array of complexes and crap grammar that even I would be ashamed of. But if you put down a payment of 2.5 million for a car and are told "in 8 months time it will be street legal in your country and delivered", you expect this to be the case, not the "bubbling paint show model which we will allow you to drive on the track with none of the setup actually done, but you must pay for this pleasure yourself, and it took 1.5 years". The "bubbling paint" is not "transportation damage" as was stated by CvK.

Also i've seen videos of CvK, and the guy might be passionate and everything, but he really seems clueless. The company that took over 2.5 months to pay the initial deposit on one of their cars back, and really is in trouble with Swedish banks announcing a "groundbreaking technology 1 gear / electric car combo" is not something that goes hand in hand. Pagani on the other hand - I like that guy, and in all honesty I would value his cars a ton more than I would any Koenigsegg
<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Will squidhead create a Bugatti chiron competitor? :)
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

SkylineFTW97

Cars: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6

Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:41 am

Who knows, but I will! It'll be just like how Jeremy Clarkson described the fictitious TVR band. It'll be really loud and fast. And it will most likely spontaneously combust during the drum solo.
Drew Motor Vehicles
Company ID: #1938042
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:56 pm

I'm with Squidhead on the perspective on Koenigsegg: it's punching well above its weight but the price of this is telling: in the fifteen years or so they've been operating, they've managed a profit in maybe three of them at most AFAIK. Everyone who works there is seriously tightening the belt loops. They all love making hypercars but they seem to lack in the logistics, finance and PR department, which isn't uncommon.

IMHO I don't think the Chiron actually has a place in this world. The Veyron already was spoken of in the same way but it established itself as an engineering landmark, and I assume the Chiron is there mostly to evolve the legend. That's fine but I expect that it will perform two functions: futile magnate mating rituals revving it in a gridlocked CBD, and crashing it into a lake at speed. I'm not even sure how you're supposed to drive the damn thing, because the best I can come up is with 'improbably fast for a bus'. It ranks on the illogical scale for me around the level of a Porsche Cayenne.

This is why after the ultimate madness that was Mercury (2hp:1kg ratio, seriously), I realised that GG was essentially being funded by a clientele I didn't want to depend on, who would never give justice to the cars they drove. And I always thought luxury was frivolous (I can't say I was actually any more comfy sitting in a top trim Merc than I am sitting in my Civic). And the ultimate frivolity is combining opulence and speed, because the latter is not comfortable and the former is not fast.
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:29 am

It's Got 500 Extra Horsepower and it feels like it just doesn't add up. It's barely any quicker and barely or faster. The performance is seriously compromised compared to what was promised in the concept. Last year we where promised 290MPH and 2.2 seconds to 60. If I had paid for it then, I'd be severely disappointed now. Being a big fat bus and Illogical to buy and horrible to drive doesn't really bother me, as these where issues with the original Veyron. Buggati has always sold to the billionare bragger. Not a problem, it's an understandable market. At least the Veyron made constant imrpovements, and this does not. What bothers me is how promising it appeared and how promising it does appear yet how little improvements it's made over the Veyron. Big whoop, It has sequential Turbos and looks cooler. the only advantages to buying this versus a regular veyron are the looks, and it won't depreciate that horribly due to being one in 500.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

SkylineFTW97

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:00 pm

DoctorNarfy wrote:It's Got 500 Extra Horsepower and it feels like it just doesn't add up. It's barely any quicker and barely or faster. The performance is seriously compromised compared to what was promised in the concept. Last year we where promised 290MPH and 2.2 seconds to 60. If I had paid for it then, I'd be severely disappointed now. Being a big fat bus and Illogical to buy and horrible to drive doesn't really bother me, as these where issues with the original Veyron. Buggati has always sold to the billionare bragger. Not a problem, it's an understandable market. At least the Veyron made constant imrpovements, and this does not. What bothers me is how promising it appeared and how promising it does appear yet how little improvements it's made over the Veyron. Big whoop, It has sequential Turbos and looks cooler. the only advantages to buying this versus a regular veyron are the looks, and it won't depreciate that horribly due to being one in 500.

That's how I feel about it, too. It's only about as fast as the weaker Veyron Super Sport. Seems like it would make more sense just to keep the Veyron around, and continually improve it's aerodynamics, engine, and tires rather than replace it from the ground up.
Drew Motor Vehicles
<<

PottoGadd

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:47 am

It's still gonna be slow as balls without TC isn't it? So the F1 still reigns supreme as king of the super/hypercars.
Last edited by PottoGadd on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sanguine Volare.

''Ambitious But Rubbish''.
<<

SkylineFTW97

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:33 am

In my opinion, that's been true since it came out. If you're gonna build a really fast car, why not make it one that can take a corner better than a Reliant Robin with a fridge on it's roof.
Drew Motor Vehicles
<<

squidhead

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:46 am

PottoGadd wrote:It's still gonna be slow as balls without TC isn't it? So the F1 still reigns supreme as king of the supercars.

You certainly have been living under a rock since 1994.
<<

SkylineFTW97

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:52 am

True, if they all aren't how do you explain the likes of the Porsche Carrera GT, which has no TC? Or anything else that I'm too lazy to mention?
Drew Motor Vehicles
PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic