FAQ  •  Login

Survival of the fittest [FINISHED]

<<

CadillacDave

Cars: 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:46 am

Re: Survival of the fittest [FINISHED]

squidhead wrote:And posted. Good job to the finalists! You can have cookies now.

Thoughts on what should be changed what should be added for the next competition. etc etc etc.

How about some form of hill climb where you have to have power and reliability (for the strain the hill will put on your car) where fastest run wins (obviously) I would say you could do 3 runs per car but the results would always turn out the same probably
<<

theh4x0r1337

Cars: benz e63 amg

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 am

almost thought squidward would win
Image Image
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:26 am

AirJordan wrote:How did penalised driveability actually affect us?
I suggest what have been said before, that time penalties due to reliability are proportional to our actual reliability. Like this stage one where I got 5% penalty because offroad damaged my car but my penalised reliability was still higher than let's say stensen's.
Another small issue is that after stage 2 it was quite clear what will happen as you were the only one on slicks and not the fastest, koolkei got similar specs to mine but was a bit slower and stensen got upper hand with penalties but had a much slower car than me. So maybe don't show us all the times, just stage time and at the end sheets with all the times and penalties.

Driveability penalized you in 1vs1 battle mode when you get battle bonuses if you and your competitor are separated by less than 1 second. This happened 1 time during the competition. For the next competition Im planning to add weather conditions which will make your driveability a factor in every race. Having maths open was here to show you the inner workings of the system, so you could comment on is it working or not. Also I am guessing more stages could be a better idea... IF we don't lose 2/3 of our competitors to fuel consumption next time.
<<

RaduST

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2010 Nissan Pathfinder

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 am

Lots of posts here :)

Before the start of the competition I thought that I had off-road, power and reliability on my side. That wasn't completely the case as some of you guys had equal if not greater reliability and similar of road abilities. I'm actually a bit curious if I wasn't topped in horsepower as well, with 410 at the crank. Either way, next time I'll have to build a faster presidential limo, that's for sure.

It was a very engaging competition. Consider me enrolled for he next event. Although I feel that it could use a touch more carnage.
<<

stensen

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:41 am

damn that was close. should have spent the remaining 20000 of the budget on a proper engine :D

agree with what was said. cool competition overall! next time dont show the detailled data while the competition is still ongoing (except for if you can make changes to your setup). you could have stages with different sectors having different road conditions. i like how you treated reliability, however i still don't really get how the drivability penalties work exactly.
<<

squidhead

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:50 am

RaduST wrote:curious if I wasn't topped in horsepower as well, with 410 at the crank.

You were... but he didn't make it through round 0
<<

TR8R

Cars: Jetman's Lunar Buggy. Yes, I AM that old!

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:32 am

Congratulations to AirJordan. :D

Maybe next time I'll use my whole budget and do a little better. :oops:

But you still can't take it away from the winner! 8-)
CEO for First Order Automotive

Est - 1968
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 am

squidhead wrote:You were... but he didn't make it through round 0

This part of the challenge should be dropped if you do another run. IMO, having a eco run at the start of a performance challenge makes no sense and strikes me as illogical; why?

1. My car was calculated to have a 45L tank yet it would have been childs play to install a larger tank. In Australia, Torana's would have droptanks installed with 100L tanks so that the modders didn't run out of gas and my car wasn't much smaller than a Torana... :?

2. If the competition is based on a professional team then the car'd have been trucked to the event and at minimum a support team would have tagged along. They'd have been carting extra fuel and could have purchased more locally since you'd stipulated 91 RON octane as that was the fuel available in the area... If we were ameteurs then we'd still be able to buy fuel on the way to the event! :o

3. My car wasn't heavily tuned; 11.09L per 100Km for a 2000cc four-cylinder in 1975 was excellent. The challenge was to build an all-rounder, so to not be able to compete because my car "ran out of fuel" really sux, as in I'd-not-compete-in-your-events-in-the-future level sux! I'd have accepted being knocked out because my car failed to be competitive but to not be able to compete in the first place is like a slap in the face. I, and everyone else, put time and effort into our entries so making us tune for a locally available fuel then not allowing us to compete because of a "lack of fuel" is very frustrating indeed. :(

Phew! Now that I've said what I needed to say; I don't mind the idea of knockouts. It makes less work for the competition host and if the host explains why they're knocked out (if it isn't something clear like lap times etc.) then it will help less experienced players learn the simulation better. Of course I'd like to see everyone have a run so that they can see if their ideas had any merit but I acknowledge there is excellent roleplay and structural reasons for knockouts. :D

TL;DR... Lose the eco-run and this competition would become awesome! 8-)
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

squidhead

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:23 am

Ok, noted. Next event we'll have more eco stages, with damage penalizing your consumption. Cool!

You know what? I wasn't going to do this, I was going to keep quiet and take it, but complaining? Really? Well ok, then, here we go, my turn.

The fuel tank rule has been posted long before the accepting of entries began
The fuel efficiency stage has been announced long before the accepting of the entries began
The exact criteria on which your car would be measured was declared before the accepting of the entries began
And you say this?

HighOctaneLove wrote:I, and everyone else, put time and effort into our entries

No. No you haven't. You truly really haven't. What you did was slap bang a car without seeing if it were to make it through the first stage, and then sent it to me. And now you are complaining about frustration? Frustration is when you take your personal time to run a competition for the guys on the forum and they think that wasting your time with pointless entries is just fine. I mean it's only 9 cars which would not pass the first stage, as in 9 pointless entries that did not have a single fighting chance. HALF of the entries had to be resubmitted and checked against the rules AGAIN, taking my time. Why? Well because such time and effort was put into these cars that some of them did not agree with the 5 rules set for this event. Record breaking? Not going to name names but 4 out of 5 rules were broken by one car. There are 5 simple rules and 1 simple condition of the stage 0. Should I link you to a 4xA4 ruleset for each class of AMWEC just to compare? Insult to injury? I had to manually calculate all of these car's petrol tanks and their consumption, even those that blatantly failed by people who blatantly did not care enough, and would never pass Stage 0. THIS sux, as in "I'd not host another event for anybody ever again in the future" level sux. So don't you go complaining and blaming me for a car you've barely spent an hour on did not finish stage 0 because you were to lazy to get a calculator out.
<<

CadillacDave

Cars: 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:39 am

I was ambitious but rubbish, my van was a bit of a time waster but I was hoping that by some miracle my van would run across the finish line after sipping the last bit of fuel. (turns out my calculations were WAY off)
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:56 am

squidhead wrote:Ok, noted. Next event we'll have more eco stages, with damage penalizing your consumption. Cool!

You know what? I wasn't going to do this, I was going to keep quiet and take it, but complaining? Really? Well ok, then, here we go, my turn.

The fuel tank rule has been posted long before the accepting of entries began
The fuel efficiency stage has been announced long before the accepting of the entries began
The exact criteria on which your car would be measured was declared before the accepting of the entries began
And you say this?

HighOctaneLove wrote:I, and everyone else, put time and effort into our entries

No. No you haven't. You truly really haven't. What you did was slap bang a car without seeing if it were to make it through the first stage, and then sent it to me. And now you are complaining about frustration? Frustration is when you take your personal time to run a competition for the guys on the forum and they think that wasting your time with pointless entries is just fine. I mean it's only 9 cars which would not pass the first stage, as in 9 pointless entries that did not have a single fighting chance. HALF of the entries had to be resubmitted and checked against the rules AGAIN, taking my time. Why? Well because such time and effort was put into these cars that some of them did not agree with the 5 rules set for this event. Record breaking? Not going to name names but 4 out of 5 rules were broken by one car. There are 5 simple rules and 1 simple condition of the stage 0. Should I link you to a 4xA4 ruleset for each class of AMWEC just to compare? Insult to injury? I had to manually calculate all of these car's petrol tanks and their consumption, even those that blatantly failed by people who blatantly did not care enough, and would never pass Stage 0. THIS sux, as in "I'd not host another event for anybody ever again in the future" level sux. So don't you go complaining and blaming me for a car you've barely spent an hour on did not finish stage 0 because you were to lazy to get a calculator out.

Interesting...

The eco run was marked as Round 0, which suggests it was for shits and giggles rather than an actual part of the competition, plus you'd said that the LOCAL fuel quality was 91 octane, meaning that should my light-tuned car *somehow* run out of fuel then I could still compete as my car could source fuel locally. Here in Australia, a very sparsely inhabited continent, there are towns every 200Km so in your 400Km run I could have topped up the tank, easily arriving at the start line, ready to compete in Round 1 (the logical start of a race, :lol: ). I'm not asking for a re-run, I was providing feedback on the race structure. By all means choose to ignore my personal feelings of frustration but the premise still stands; your eco run was flawed and detracted from the spirit of the competition.

The personal time arguement goes both ways; you spend time running the competition and I spend time complying my entry and submitting it. You spend more time on checking entrants and running the competition than I do on making the car but it is insulting to suggest that I slapped together a shit-box and said "Fuck it, it'll do". I make it a point of personal pride to give every competition I enter a decent go AND I enter as many competitions as I can; why? So that more competitions are run and that less well thought out competitions still have entrants to judge and they then can learn from their mistakes and make better competitions. I'm not disputing that I missed the seriousness of your eco run, I'm just saying that your own preamble made it out to be less serious than you subsequently treated it and that it would save everyone a lot of hassle if it didn't make a re-appearance in the next running of this event.

I apologise for any offense caused by my inclusion of my personal reaction to being excluded before the race started; I'll more clearly segregate them in the future so that it isn't construed as blame. I was trying to give constructive feedback and I was unaware that you had so much trouble with other entrants... I truly do believe that, minus the fuel tank rule (or maybe tweak it to allow players to select tank size or points penalties for failure), the next round of this competition will be excellent and I'll be honoured to be included in the entrants on the start line on that great and glorious day! 8-)
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 pm

This got longer than I expected. TL;DR: I liked the challenge, eco runs are a great equalizer, and I've got an idea at the bottom of the post.

For those brave enough to continue into the ramblings of someone working on about 3 hours of sleep and a cup of coffee, feel free to read on.

Personally, I enjoyed the Eco run. For me, it was a bit tense (doing all my own math to convert liters to gallons and MPG to L/100km to find out whether I'd make it) but were I to do it again, I'd simply switch my units.

I thought the Eco run was a great way to stop people throwing purpose-built 700 horsepower turbo-V8 1-mile-per-gallon monsters at this challenge. Wouldn't have been near as good if everyone could ignore their fuel consumption.

Did I put time and effort into my car? A little. I tried to make the compromise and got off-road-greedy, forgetting for a moment that the car I built would have to handle asphalt as well. I built a twin turbo V8 tuned for fuel efficiency instead of power, making (if I remember correctly) about 300 horsepower. Would I have been upset being knocked out in the eco stage? No. I'd have accepted that I screwed up my math somewhere, or I pulled a stupid by using a turbo V8 when I could have been sensible and gone either Turbo-4 or NA. Was I upset being knocked out in the asphalt stage? Not really. A touch disappointed because I thought I had a great car for Pikes Peak, but I had plenty of time to know about that asphalt stage. I failed to consider that maybe, just maybe, a bit of handling would have been better than my solid axle ass.

As for more eco stages with damage increasing fuel consumption, I'd be all for that, personally. Looking at the numbers between me and Stensen on that little duel we had, if we had more stages on gravel/offroad to beat the cars up, I would have won that duel through reliability. If fuel efficiency could be added into account through some eco stages, it'd take out a lot of the low-reliability-high-consumption competition. Gamble on gas and you may just lose.

I had more fun in this challenge checking the results than I've had in a lot of 'em in a while. Scrolling down the results page actually could get my heart racing, hoping to see my little green hatchback somewhere in the good list. Once I got knocked out, yeah, I stopped paying as much attention (after all, it's less exciting then), but I think this challenge set up a good framework for something more.

If you don't mind, Squidhead, I'm just gonna list a few of the things I did and didn't like about this challenge.

Liked:
+ Eco Run Qualifier. This kept power and cars sensible(ish) without enforcing hard power limits, weight or size or displacement limits, or restricting engines. Awesome way to even the field.
+ Events listed in order. This allowed us to build the best all-rounder we could, knowing particular tires would hurt us more than others, but knowing that some things would be needed before others.
+ Damage! We're out there beating our cars up racing. Of course things are gonna break.
+ Battle Mode! Two cars traveling together go faster. Everyone knows this. Everyone who's ever drafted a semi down the highway also knows this.
+ Duels. Pitting two cars against one another in a 1v1, winner-takes-all showdown midway through the race.

Things I didn't like
- Nothing, really. The one thing I didn't like was more a personal matter, and that was just the order of the tracks. Even at that, the list was made and agreed to long in advance, so really, this point doesn't matter.

Personally, I'd love to see another version of this some time down the road. I found it quite enjoyable to participate in, and I think that kinda says something. Very simple, non-complicated rules list, everything laid out open-handed in front of you. If I wanted to, I could have sat there with a calculator and tried to power-math my way through to a victory, or I could do what I did, with spit-ball math for my fuel economy and then hope for the best on the rest.

As for my thoughts on not making it through stage 0... We were told up front everything we'd need to figure it out: How far we're driving, The speed we were to cruise at, how big our gas tank would be. Some people barely made it (my guess, either luck, or power-math determining they needed exactly this amount of fuel to make it, and not a drop more), others made it with fuel to spare (and make bonfires with...) and others fell short. As stated, I'd love to see eco-runs both damage the cars (you're driving a long distance at a constant speed, so even if it's something like 0.1% of damage, it's something to consider as it's unavoidable) as well as damage influencing efficiency (because an engine making smoke and a chassis that's bent up shouldn't perform better than an engine burning clean and lean and a chassis that's straight as an arrow). In fact, I like the idea of the eco runs enough that I'd personally want to see one between each of the challenges. Other than a calculator and Automation, nothing else is needed, and could produce very different results.

As for something I'd like to see as a possibility... A night race. I know, I know, we can't model anything based on track temps, etc., but it'd allow an additional type of race to build around. Build your car without some form of alternate lighting, and you might just find yourself in the dark, struggling to see the track. I suppose it really works best if done as an offroad race. Basically, not having enough light (headlights alone on an off road course shouldn't be enough) would result in both a time penalty (can't drive your best when you can't see) and a damage penalty (you'll bust up your car more if you can't see) while having enough light basically makes it any other race.

As for how the compromise works on that, you have to decide between maximum engine cooling (assuming front engine, the grill and front bumper area are the greatest cooling potential) but only street lights, or reduced engine cooling, but off-road lights.
<<

squidhead

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 pm

HighOctaneLove wrote:The eco run was marked as Round 0, which suggests it was for shits and giggles rather than an actual part of the competition

The point of the round 0 was to get the people who did not pay any attention and give a serious thought to their build out of it, so I would not have to process 20+ cars in round 1 manually doing a maths exam for a few hours, and only work with cars that have been built to spec. Note how 2 cars actually ran EXACT length of the round 0 on full tank. That is calculation, that shows that they did pay attention, and if you look closer to the results - people who thought more about it and actually played their strategy card well went straight into the final. Everybody who didn't, including me - did not. Everybody who did not care enough to do simple math got left on the hard shoulder.

HighOctaneLove wrote:it is insulting to suggest that I slapped together a shit-box and said "Fuck it, it'll do"

Get a stopwatch out and a calculator.
1) Weight of your car * 0.05
2) Consumption at 120kph * 40
3) If the result of 1 is less than result of 2 then your car isn't going to finish the run.

Help me out here, what am I supposed to think if you did not do this yourself? That you gave your build enough thought? Here's an approach that worked out with best economy as described by Madrias :
Madrias wrote:with spit-ball math for my fuel economy and then hope for the best on the rest.

IT WORKED

Anyways, im over it. Race is done, who read the rules and paid attention got to actual racing. Nothing anybody can do about it now.

Madrias wrote:In fact, I like the idea of the eco runs enough that I'd personally want to see one between each of the challenges.

That is what will happen with 1st run eliminating anybody who did not finish, and every next run just adding penalties to the next race event in case you did not finish

Madrias wrote:As for something I'd like to see as a possibility... A night race.

Already ahead of you on this one, mate. Drivability will be a factor both at night and in rain... and in night rain. As well as being a factor on each racing stage to a lesser degree. As in "the easier your car is to handle the more attention you spare for planning out each corner or scanning track for boulders and such"
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:44 pm

squidhead wrote:1) Weight of your car * 0.05
3) If the result of 1 is less than result of 2 then your car isn't going to finish the run.

Oh, now I feel like an idiot for having to be the typical American. I spent 5 minutes converting friggin pounds to kilograms, kilograms * 0.05 = liters, liters to gallons, consumption at 70-whatever MPH in gallons over 100 km * 4, made some stupid rounding error, and thought I was going to be nail-bitingly close on fuel. If I'd known it'd be that bloody easy to calculate fuel efficiency using L/100km, I'd have just switched my units.
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Madrias wrote:
squidhead wrote:1) Weight of your car * 0.05

Oh, now I feel like an idiot for having to be the typical American. I spent 5 minutes converting friggin pounds to kilograms, kilograms * 0.05 = liters, liters to gallons, consumption at 70-whatever MPH in gallons over 100 km * 4, made some stupid rounding error, and thought I was going to be nail-bitingly close on fuel. If I'd known it'd be that bloody easy to calculate fuel efficiency using L/100km, I'd have just switched my units.

And here we see the wild Madrias facepalming himself out of existence.
I have been Nigel Darwington, for Automationeers: Into The Wild.
I will see you all soon.
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions