FAQ  •  Login

Holy Toledo Design Challenge [RESULTS]

<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Holy Toledo Design Challenge [RESULTS]

I'd say I captured the spirit of the Buick Regal and Grand National well, then. That evil twin with no visual distinction from the counterpart cars, but a much meaner engine did the trick, I see.

And yeah, you can't strip the interior on something that was upscale and expect people to buy it, even if it's sporty. Stripping the middle seat from the front of the car was done for practical purposes: No one wants to be the guy in the middle seat, straddling the transmission and shifting stick. As for keeping all the luxury goodies, well, it'd be a dead giveaway if you pulled up to the TCE at a light and he didn't have a radio on. Instead, pulling up to it at a light and making that mistake to challenge it... Well, it may not be the fastest 1978 car out there, but if you're challenging it because you've got a hot hatch and think you can beat the big luxury car, you may just be in trouble.
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:56 pm

WTF Winner: Rado Crawler Luxury
Design Score: Oh, just set it on fire already.

crawler.jpg
crawler.jpg (80.62 KiB) Viewed 2012 times

So we're not entirely sure what happened here. We asked a number of manufacturers to give us upscale vehicles to test drive, and Rado shows up with the Crawler. At first we thought it was a mistake and they sent the paperwork in incorrectly, but the PR contact said it wasn't a mistake.

So where does a ladder-frame utility vehicle fit into this segment? Honestly it doesn't. But that's not to say it doesn't have its merit. Somewhere out there, Rado feels that someone wants to drive up the side of a mountain while riding in a leatherette seat and blasting Sabbath as loud as it will go. The Crawler is for them.

But don't expect road manners from this Toledo turbo V6, specifically the 6T33-STO model. Between that, its absolutely raucous, lugging automatic transmission, and its primitive suspension, the Crawler isn't exactly the epitome of comfort. It's also projected to be the single worst vehicle this year in quality, so you may want to buy an extra as spare parts.

(Challenge host's personal note: This thing reminded me of a Jeep Wagoneer with a disturbing turbo, a Cadillac interior, and a Yugo transmission. Seriously... WTF!?)

(Honorable Mention: Solo Orca T. Reminds me of my dad's old Rampage, but with a bigger motor.)
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Wow, I wasn't expecting a winner. And I'm glad you found the Orca T fairly unique... I didn't want to make just a regular pickup or van. :)

And congrats to the other winners!
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

DeusExMackia

Cars: '04 Seat Arosa 1.0 S

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:35 pm

Excellent! 2nd and 5th! Good competition all, well done to the winners.
ImageImageImageImage
Company ID: 1959771

The Great Automation Badge Grid - Get your company on the grid

"Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a bucktooth girl in Luxembourg"
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:49 pm

Huh... stolt did good! :D I should put it into production by 79 then.
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions