The Scrapyard [IDEA]

<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:51 am

Re: The Scrapyard [IDEA]

Question on the compression, you say we can only lower it, yet the easiest way to that in real life is to swap out the pistons, you can fudge a bit with thicker head gaskets or head spacer plates, but those will only net you a drop of .5-.7 at most. And by the same token you can install thinner head gaskets to boost compression a tiny bit, say .1-.3 or so, or swap in a flat or dome top piston rather than a dished or inset one to raise compression. It's basically the same process either way. And without being able to swap cams its going to be hard to run a N/A motor in this contest.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:03 am

Swapping cams seems possible to me - I've heard of people doing it. You might not be able to change quality, but you can change shape, at least.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:49 am

well. define 'small workshop' than. is it mom's garage? is it a small mechanic's workshop? is it the side of the road in front of the house but have proper tools?
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Citroen DS3

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:37 pm

nialloftara wrote:Question on the compression, you say we can only lower it, yet the easiest way to that in real life is to swap out the pistons, you can fudge a bit with thicker head gaskets or head spacer plates, but those will only net you a drop of .5-.7 at most. And by the same token you can install thinner head gaskets to boost compression a tiny bit, say .1-.3 or so, or swap in a flat or dome top piston rather than a dished or inset one to raise compression. It's basically the same process either way. And without being able to swap cams its going to be hard to run a N/A motor in this contest.

Yes, i know, it's not the prettiest way to install a turbo, but i think adding an head spacer to lower a bit the compression, add mor fuel to the mix and retart the spark it's enough to add a turbo with under a bar of boost without heavy knocking, not so efficent, not so good, but i think works for a car found in the junk. Changing the cams profile need a new camshaft, not so cheap, but i want to let the player add a turbo to the engine. IMHO it's better for the challenge (even if is a bit out of reality).

Packbat wrote:Swapping cams seems possible to me - I've heard of people doing it. You might not be able to change quality, but you can change shape, at least.

Yes, i don't tink it's an hard work but you need the proper compoents, not so easy to find.

koolkei wrote:well. define 'small workshop' than. is it mom's garage? is it a small mechanic's workshop? is it the side of the road in front of the house but have proper tools?

I was tinking about a home garage with some proper tool like a small welding machine, grinder and something like that, e.g. Colin Furze Shed
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:59 pm

So that means we can have pulse jets? :lol:
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:42 pm

nialloftara wrote:So that means we can have pulse jets? :lol:

@killrob i have a suggestion, i think it's intresting to have varius type of rocket engine in the game, like the mythbuster rocket car or the thrust SSC, maybe with a dlc :P
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:56 am

F17Francesco wrote:
nialloftara wrote:So that means we can have pulse jets? :lol:

@killrob i have a suggestion, i think it's intresting to have varius type of rocket engine in the game, like the mythbuster rocket car or the thrust SSC, maybe with a dlc :P

I concur, I would love to build this :lol:

Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

lordvader1

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 am

like this one ?

here ladies and gentlemen is the LVC - daehkcid, a rwd hooligan
a body made out of scrap metal, welded together by people we found sleeping under bridges.
painted with plasti dip in a can. the headlights you see are recycled from a hatchback, and blinker fluid is filled to the top.
the suspension, you are maybe thinking that its pushrod, like every supercar. but no you, you get macpherson strut suspension lifted from a ecobox car
the engine is a 5.9 liter V12, like a proper supercar, the engine block was found on the side of the road, but with few fiat carburettors, pushrod head, cast pistons, and some duct tape. you get a monster that makes 257HP at 5000rpm.
the gearbox, now you expect a dual clutch 7 speed gearbox, but no, you get a 5 speed manual gearbox, from a 90s wagon.
the tyres are conventional ones, bought from a tyre recycling plant, which were used on a lorry.
now you ask yourself, with that much power and a mighty gearbox, you need carbon brakes to stop this beast, but drum breaks will do.
the interior is made out of cardboard and gauges that are not even plugged it. with that comes a cd player, bought from a heroin addict for only 5 bucks
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:01 am

lordvader1 wrote:like this one ?

Not exactly, but the end result may be something like that, to build your car for the challenge you must combine parts from a catalog of premade cars.
Where's this catalog? In my head, in this days i don't have my first PC so i'm waiting to have it back, but don't warry, probably thursday, you can have a first peek of it.
In the catalog there will be some supercar, but very old and crappy ones, the majority of the parts and cars itself are family/city cars, the types you most likely found in the junkyard. So, you can bild that car in the final challenge? No, it's a 2011's body (if i remember right), but you can build a supercar from '70s with a '90s city car engine.
The last question that might came up in your mind is: Why have you asked for cars in a previus post? To junk it! Now i'm selecting a dozen of cars to crate the product list where you can choose.
<<

Slax

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:29 am

Sounds like we're making rat rods. Count me in!

Hopefully this inspires the devs to include a scrapyard market/amateur garage mode. :D
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 pm

ded?
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Somewhat
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:05 am

cpufreak101 wrote:ded?

No, luckly i'm still alive, but in this time I have university exams, I'm slowly working on the catalog but I've had some delays, when I have something concrete I'll show you. Excuse me, but now you have to have some patience.
<<

Carmain2K

Cars: Im 15, still got 2 years left!

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:47 am

Is it alright if we make some cars to put into the scrapyard. Should help speed things along a bit. :D
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Carmain2K wrote:Is it alright if we make some cars to put into the scrapyard. Should help speed things along a bit. :D

Yes, i'm glad if you send me :)
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions