<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Citroen DS3

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:53 pm

The Scrapyard [IDEA]

The Scrapyard

Concept
: you buy some parts from a scrapyard and you build a car.

How it works: For starting i'll make varius cars and engines and i give them a price (low price, it will be some s***y parts, old and rusty). Every round you have a budget and a mission (like: fastest 1/4 mile), you (and I) must build a car combining engine, car, tires buyed from the scrapyard. At the end of the round the winner choose the budget and the mission for the next round.

What i do
: I'll made the first stock of parts to start and i made some google docs for reference and help choose the parts
What you can do: You'll make some other parts to add to the scrapyard.

What you can modify in the car
: Everything you can do in a simple garage
-Lower engine compression
-Add or remove turbo (you must buy it from the scrapyard)
-Change fuel mixture
-Change Ignition Timing
-Change transmission (you must buy it from the scrapyard)
-Change Tires (you must buy it from the scrapyard)
-Strip down the interior and safety
-Change aerodynamics
-Change suspension settings and parts (you must buy it from the scrapyard)
-Change brakes (you must buy it from the scrapyard)

Most of the time you find in the scrapyard a fully working car (engine, tires, tranmission etc..) but you can find some car without something, samething with engines (sometimes with trasmission, sometimes without)

What you think of this challenge?

When it starts? Probably not before 3 or 4 weeks
Are you ispired? NO http://www.automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9294
Last edited by F17Francesco on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:01 am

Re: The Scrapyard [IDEA]

This sounds very much like a good ol' falkrace. You don't even need a license to go wheelbanging autocross and can't pay more than 200 bucks for your car before selling it to somebody else after the next race!
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:05 am

strop wrote:This sounds very much like a good ol' falkrace. You don't even need a license to go wheelbanging autocross and can't pay more than 200 bucks for your car before selling it to somebody else after the next race!

Yes, something like that with a little bit of Top Gear cheap "something" challenge
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:23 am

Could be interesting. Essentially making a clunker rally.
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:50 am

If someone want to start send me some parts i'm happy, i want to create a beta verion of the catalog.

Can you link me a forum post, like car sharing forum thread (but with a download)
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:11 am

As far as parts, we could say things like "hard long life tires, 660 mm dia. 175 mm wide, 17" steel wheels, -2 quality" or even send full engines or bodies without an engine and trim?
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:25 am

thecarlover wrote:As far as parts, we could say things like "hard long life tires, 660 mm dia. 175 mm wide, 17" steel wheels, -2 quality" or even send full engines or bodies without an engine and trim?

you can send me even complete cars, with engine and trim, even "new" car from your company, then i'm going to make it old lowering the quality; or if you want briefly describing your idea, i'm out of creativity now :P
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:30 am

What year are you thinking the competition is set in? I figure most of the scrapyard parts should be built 5-15 years earlier, with a smattering of earlier-still.
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:34 am

Packbat wrote:What year are you thinking the competition is set in? I figure most of the scrapyard parts should be built 5-15 years earlier, with a smattering of earlier-still.

Yes, i'm tinking to set the competition in 2016 but with parts and cars from 1940-2005, obviusly a 2005 car need very low quality to finish in a scrapyard (with higher price)
<<

Packbat

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:41 am

And a 1940 car needs to be really common and bulletproof to survive that long. Okay, I think I understand the parameters - I'll see what I can send you.

...ooh, thought re: turbos: players'll have to make sure that they're set up exactly as the scavenged parts were. Same dimensions and AR, at least - dunno how hard it is to adjust boost pressure. Should probably put a note to that effect in the rules.
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:56 am

Packbat wrote:And a 1940 car needs to be really common and bulletproof to survive that long. Okay, I think I understand the parameters - I'll see what I can send you.

...ooh, thought re: turbos: players'll have to make sure that they're set up exactly as the scavenged parts were. Same dimensions and AR, at least - dunno how hard it is to adjust boost pressure. Should probably put a note to that effect in the rules.

Changing the boost is commonly easy, the pressure was often regulated by a spring loaded valve (wastegate), dimensions and AR must be fixed, i'm now looking for parts and parameters players can change but the idea is this: easy to do in a small workshop
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:09 am

Exhaust is easy, headers, pipe diameter, mufflers and cats can all be changed or removed with a wrench set and some wd-40.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:16 am

nialloftara wrote:Exhaust is easy, headers, pipe diameter, mufflers and cats can all be changed or removed with a wrench set and some wd-40.

Yes, totally, the exaust system have even a small cost (if you don't put any cat or muffler), for the headers you need to find the right one, or build one... so, i think it's free
<<

Packbat

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:18 am

...ooh, thought re: transmissions: Automation automatically sizes transmissions to the power being transmitted. It might be necessary to institute power range rules for each transmission to make the simulation work out correctly.
<<

F17Francesco

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:28 am

Packbat wrote:...ooh, thought re: transmissions: Automation automatically sizes transmissions to the power being transmitted. It might be necessary to institute power range rules for each transmission to make the simulation work out correctly.

Yes, i know, but in my opinion it became too complicated, let me know what you think.

For now this is the list of what players can change:
cooling fixtures
engine (buying)
lower compression
aspiration type (buying turbos)
max boost
intake filter
fuel type (probably the same for all the partecipants)
fuel mixture
ignition timing
rpm limit
exaust (or standard or no cat/no mufflers)
gearbox (buying with fixed type, option, ratios, spacing, and power distribution)
top speed
tyre (buying)
brakes (buying)
undertray (no downforce)
cooling and brake airflow
interior, entertanment, driver assists and safety (only lower)
suspension tuning and ride height
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions