FAQ  •  Login

Engine Sourcing 1985 [RESULTS]

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Engine Sourcing 1985 [RESULTS]

Thanks to Leonardo9613 and IRC regulars whose names I have forgotten for inspiration, and thanks to Lordred for a very clever job of Stupid High Resolution Helplining.

The Peppermint Automobile Company, founded 1980, was off to a brilliant start. The small front-wheel-drive Peppermint NE-1 was hardly a sophisticated vehicle - and its thin steel body panels were somewhat rust-prone - but low emissions and great fuel economy on regular unleaded fuel meant it sold quite well from the moment it was introduced in 1982.

In an attempt to expand upon this success, Peppermint decided to break into new markets in 1985 with the new NE-2 line: three upscale, prestigious, performance-oriented rear-wheel drive vehicles, powered by variants on a newer, bigger, and much more powerful engine. Unfortunately, midway through the development process, the team designing this lovely new engine quit en masse to go work for an aeroplane manufacturer, leaving Peppermint with three half-completed automobiles and no engines to power them.

Which is where you come in.

Peppermint Automobile Company is putting out a call for new engines to power its new line of vehicles. These engines must be efficient, environmentally friendly, and offer the right balance of low weight, reasonable cost, and high power to make the NE-2 as much of a resounding success as the NE-1.

Peppermint NE-1 and NE-2 Poster.png
Peppermint NE-1 and NE-2 Poster.png (150.67 KiB) Viewed 7392 times

Build Specifications

For this competition, you will be downloading the Peppermint NE-2 (attached), importing it into your game, and replacing the engine, transmission, and rear diff for each trim you wish to power. Build rules are as follows:

• 1985 or earlier on all tabs.
  • Engine must fit in Peppermint NE-2 engine bay. (Don't worry, it's pretty big.)
  • Unleaded fuel only.
  • Catalytic converter required.
  • No Race Tubular exhausts.
  • Reliability > 0.
  • Quality sliders and transmission tab settings unrestricted.

All settings on all other tabs will remain unchanged except the aerodynamics and suspension tabs, which the Peppermint Automobile Company will be setting up as follows:

• Engine cooling will be reduced to just over the minimum required (assuming sufficent cooling is available).
  • The suspension will be adjusted using a preset (Normal for Standard, Comfort for Deluxe, and Sport for Sport).
  • Any bottom-out in said suspension preset will be eliminated by raising the ride height.

Packbat - Peppermint NE-2.zip
(109.55 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

Competition Categories and Scoring

Players will compete in three regular categories plus three combined categories.

The three regular categories correspond to the three trims of the NE-2: Standard, Deluxe, and Sport. In each of these categories, engines will be ranked from best to worst in each of four metrics:

• Vehicle (not engine!) fuel economy.
  • Vehicle (not engine!) emissions.
  • Vehicle Competitiveness in two Gasmea markets per trim:
    • For Standard: Family Sport Premium and Muscle.
    • For Deluxe: Premium and GT.
    • For Sport: Sport and Convertible Sport.*

* Note: C. Sport tends to be lower-scoring than the other categories.

Points will then be awarded for the engine's rank in each metric based on the number of entries. If, for example, 10 people enter, the top engine in each metric gets 10, the second 9, the third 8, and so on. (In the case of a tie, all tied entries split the points. So if second and third were tied in the prior example, 8.5 points each.) Whichever engine gets the most points wins the category.

The first combined category is the Single-Supplier category. If you submit engines for all three categories, you will also be entered in this category. Your score will be the sum of the scores of your three engines.

The second combined category is the One-Block category. If you submit one engine family with variants for all three categories, you will also be entered in this category, and, again, your score will be the sum of the scores of all three engines (engine variants, in this case).

The third combined category is the In-House category. Peppermint Automobile Company may have lost their new engine team, but their old engine team is still around, refining the 1.2L inline-four that powered the NE-1 for the three-year model refresh, and they could be pulled off that project for this one if necessary. It's a small block, but there's a little room to increase displacement ... and, of course, you can always add a honking big turbo. To enter this category, instead of making an all-new engine family, make three new variants in 1985 of the Peppermint 1.2, one for each trim, and set up the transmission as needed. (Remember to leave the 1982 "Electro" variant in the game, as removing it may cause Automation to change the engine family year.) Again, your score will be the sum of the scores for all three variants.

Submission rules

Each player may submit one engine variant per trim, either on the same engine family or different engine familes. In your PM, you should include a .zip file with:
  • The exported engine family or families.
  • One screenshot of the Transmission tab for each trim being powered.

The deadline for all submissions is 11:59:59 p.m. EST on Monday, February 22nd.

Results posted!

Accepted Submissions:
  • cpufreak101
  • conan
  • HighOctaneLove
  • Lordred
  • Riso
  • nerd
  • 07CobaltGirl
  • VicVictory
  • CadillacDave
  • vmo
  • Puffster
  • koolkei
  • MadamVastra
  • Rossriders
  • Simo4295
Last edited by Packbat on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:46 am, edited 19 times in total.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Re: Engine Sourcing 1985 [OPEN]

hoooo, engine competition instead of a whole car. neat :)

but if it's only the engine we're making, anyone else thinking that the deadline could be shortened a bit?

that is unless you dont have the time for it packbat :)
<<

Packbat

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Yeah - VicVictory did an engines-only competition last June, and it was pretty fun. The only real disadvantage is that people have a harder time showing off their work.

Re: the deadline: it's only two weeks and a weekend - I figure that'll give people who are busy this week time to get around to it next week. It seems weird to have a shorter deadline than that for any contest with multiple entrants.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:04 pm

So, to be clear, this is any engine which fits in each trim, or a single engine family with variants for each trim?
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 pm

So we've got a few options here: we can submit an engine for any of the trims, all of the trims in a single family, or just tune up the old one?
<<

nerd

Cars: None as of now and at least 3 years from now.

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 pm

I guess I'll be downsizing the Terrible SuperECO's engine to be slightly more reasonable, but it will still be extremely thirsty.
Rado Automotive Incrorporated (my automation car company): 1946998
Rado Automotive Incorporated car showroom
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:16 pm

looks great, i guess i'll be trying my best, and the rules seem to be relatively freeish, so i can set my personal goaals and follow my personal standards quite well
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Packbat wrote:Submission rules

Each player may submit one engine family. In your PM, you should include a .zip file with, first, the exported engine, and second, one screenshot of the Transmission tab for each trim powered by a variant of your engine.

That one family made me sad, as I was planning to do two engine familys from an over arching engine trunk.

Ah La: The LHE X-Modular Series engines.

I do not want to be 'that' guy but if I could get your feelings on me doing something like this, I would appreciate it.
ID: 1963886
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Lordred wrote:

Each player may submit one engine family. In your PM, you should include a .zip file with, first, the exported engine, and second, one screenshot of the Transmission tab for each trim powered by a variant of your engine.

That one family made me sad, as I was planning to do two engine familys from an over arching engine trunk.

I do not want to be 'that' guy but if I could get your feelings on me doing something like this, I would appreciate it.

I completely missed that part!!! One engine family it is then. Bummer!
<<

Packbat

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:11 am

Lordred wrote:

...hm.

You make a compelling point. All right, I'll open it up. One submission per trim, multiple families permitted. And there will be a combined winner for single-family submission as well as multiple family. I'll edit the OP.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:09 pm

will there be any extra points or penalty if we were to chose one of the option?

like bonus points if we used the same old engine, or single engine family multiple variants is neutral, penalty for multiple engine families and such?
<<

Packbat

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:55 am

There are no bonus points for entering combined categories or penalties for not entering combined categories - the scoring is the scoring, full stop. Entering a combined category just means you are eligible for the combined-category high score list, nothing more.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

LHE has sent three engines to Peppermint for evaluation in the NE-2 line.

The Second generation X-Mod line of Four and Eight Cylinder engines.

With power ranging from 94 to 247hp

ID: 1963886
<<

vmo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A undestructable Toyota with 1ZR FAE engine, Honda Civic VTi EG6, Mazda RX7 fc

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:50 pm

But I can change the gearbox ratio and diffs or no?
Company: Montes Cars
Company ID: 1940001
Visit the brand models http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3995
In AutomationHub.net: http://www.automationhub.net/company-ca ... mpanyID=18
My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/1MtRpd
<<

Packbat

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:55 am

@vmo: You can absolutely change the gearbox ratio and diffs - and the ratio count, and the transmission type, and the quality slider. Anything you think will make a better car you can do in the Transmission tab. You are providing Peppermint Automobile Company with a full drivetrain. :D
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions