Havana Special (Idea)

<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:27 am

Havana Special (Idea)

With the lift of the embargo (or so I read) i was thinking of making a racing series revolving Cuba, that implies:

Big Fintastic cars from the North
engine swaps that make no sense everywhere else. (why would you put a Lada engine in a bel air if you have other options?)
Lots of elbow grease

Inspired by the Youtube show Cuban Chrome

Street racing is illegal in the island, and being caught implies jail, and losing the car
<<

DeusExMackia

Cars: '04 Seat Arosa 1.0 S

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:53 am

Re: Havana Special (Idea)

Are we talking taking old bodies that should not be used for any kind of competition and putting stupidly powerful engines in them, then trying to race with them?

'Cos I'd be interested :D
ImageImageImageImage
Company ID: 1959771

The Great Automation Badge Grid - Get your company on the grid

"Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a bucktooth girl in Luxembourg"
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:28 am

DeusExMackia wrote:Are we talking taking old bodies that should not be used for any kind of competition and putting stupidly powerful engines in them, then trying to race with them?

'Cos I'd be interested :D

yeah, grab a old car from the open source thread and just drop in a brand new supercar engine lol, sounds like it'd be fun, though the way to make it more challenging, would be allowing only the engine, transmission, brakes, and interior (weight reduction bro) to be modified, would be more challenging to get something drivable like that :D
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

Dragawn

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A high tech sportscar consisting entirely of air!

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 am

nono, more like put a shit engine in an old car, because you can't find anything better. Could be very interesting if we're working with "budgets" and a selection of cars/engines we can choose from, but that would be a loooot of work to judge to see if someone cheated :lol:
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Manche wrote:With the lift of the embargo (or so I read) i was thinking of making a racing series revolving Cuba, that implies:

Big Fintastic cars from the North
engine swaps that make no sense everywhere else. (why would you put a Lada engine in a bel air if you have other options?)
Lots of elbow grease

Inspired by the Youtube show Cuban Chrome

Street racing is illegal in the island, and being caught implies jail, and losing the car

This is a really interesting idea. I read about Cuba's car scene in a local car magazine and the idea is awesome; if you can't get the one you want, use what you've got!

Maybe, rather than a competition, you could run a showcase; player who have established brands show off their product after "Cubanisation" and the rest either make up a car or replicate a real life car ('57 Chev etc).
Make a control engine that's to be used for the conversion and then select a suitably Cuban racetrack to race them around for giggles! :lol:

Alternatively, select a number of suitable 50's bodies and supply either the specs for allowable player built engines or some downloadable control engines, then have the cars race around some tracks and the winner doesn't go to jail (or gets the girl/cigar/free trip to the USA, :lol: ).
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

Oskiinus

Cars: Not a car, but I own Arkus Classic Junior in black ;)

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:53 am

I would say... old cruiser bodies with shitty inline 4 engines delivered from Hyundai :D
CEO of Airborne Automotive, Airborne Motor Group and Co-CEO of it's sub-brands :D
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5895 - Thread!
<<

lordvader1

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:13 am

like this
a 50s body with a 2015 engine
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 am

Only if I get to run ManHell Estoque. To me it's the ULTIMATE in that body's design, and trying to make it run some 50 years into the future would be so cool
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:25 am

:D

This got more support than I expected.

I will have to think about it, specially the rules.

according to some covering from a Matt Farah video (the fat bald guy that often reviews tuned cars) there are a bunch of Cuban guy attempting to build a 1000 hp 56 Chevy sedan

I would reafrain from using racecar bodies that goes against the spirits.

I will start designing some of the swappable engines, most of them being eastern Block engines + some imported from mexico
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:17 pm

regarding engines I think we would have to have a bunch of elegible cars from Yank tanks to russky sedans and the engines thyat come with those cars would all be elegible.

and maybe some non automotive engines, some guy in cuba until very recently had a diesel boat engine in his 54 buick
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Manche wrote:and maybe some non automotive engines, some guy in cuba until very recently had a diesel boat engine in his 54 buick

Soooo... ManHell Estoque with a Communitasia 2.5 i4 from 1960 + a 2015 turbocharger?
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XS4aueDUg

Speaking of Cubans being very clever and putting MacGuyver to shame
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:06 pm

That explains the context of this premise beautifully. What a wondrous insight into a history that the Western world could not see.

Surely this means we must work on an extreme budget!
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 pm

I am trying to workout the details

the engines elegible for swapping are
Lada 1.5 sohc I4
Volga 2.5 ohv I4
Monster Italian aviation 16+ sohc v12 (contribution from an user, with a story to back it up)
283 Cui 4.8(L) v8

dont have to be identical to the rl analogs, something that some user developed (so long the company has the right origin)
Last edited by Manche on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Manche wrote:I am trying to workout the details

the engines elegible for swapping are
Lada 1.5 sohc I4
Volga 2.5 ohv I4
Monster Italian aviation 16+ sohc v12 (contribution from an user, with a story to back it up)
283 Cui 4.8(L) v8

dont have to be identical to the rl analogs, something that some user developed (so long the company has the right origin)

i was about to suggest communitasia 2.5L I4, but then i read "from the right origin" can i just say the cars were produced and sold over there?
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions